DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 18: Hermansson vs. Cannonier (9/28/2019) - Copenhagen, Denmark (Royal Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

EFQ6Y8aWsAEIy54.jpeg?1569365591

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 18: Hermansson vs. Cannonier
September 28, 2019
Copenhagen, Denmark (Royal Arena)

Jack Hermansson (185) vs. Jared Cannonier (185) - Cannonier, TKO (punches), R2 (0:27)
Mark Madsen (155) vs. Danilo Belluardo (156) - Madsen, TKO (punches), R1 (1:12)
Gunnar Nelson (170) vs. Gilbert Burns (171) - Burns, DEC (unanimous)
Ion Cuțelaba (205) vs. Khalil Rountree (205) - Cuțelaba, TKO (punches and elbows), R1 (2:35)
Michał Oleksiejczuk (205) vs. Ovince St. Preux (206) - St. Preux, SUB (Von Flue choke), R2 (2:14)
Nicolas Dalby (171) vs. Alex Oliveira (171) - Dalby, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Alen Amedovski (185) vs. John Phillips (186) - Phillips, KO (punches), R1 (0:14)
Alessio Di Chirico (186) vs. Makhmud Muradov (185) - Muradov, DEC (unanimous)
Siyar Bahadurzada (171) vs. Ismail Naurdiev (171) - Naurdiev, DEC (unanimous)
Brandon Davis (146) vs. Giga Chikadze (146) - Chikadze, DEC (split)
Macy Chiasson (136) vs. Lina Länsberg (136) - Länsberg, DEC (unanimous)
Landon Vannata (155) vs. Marc Diakiese (155) - Diakiese, DEC (unanimous)
Jack Shore (135) vs. Nohelin Hernandez (136) - Shore, SUB  (rear naked choke), R3 (2:51)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Jack Shore
Performance of the Night: John Phillips
Performance of the Night: Ovince St. Preux
Performance of the Night: Jared Cannonier

Attendance: 12,767
Gate: $1.6 million

Cancelled Fights:
Danny Henry vs. Mike Davis - Henry Withdrew From Bout
Gunnar Nelson vs. Thiago Alves - Injury to Alves
Alessio Di Chirico vs. Peter Sobotta - Sobotta Withdrew From Bout

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

11 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Oh shit, Vannata vs. Diakiese, yes please! I wanted to say "wow, is this ever a card for a card's sake" but there are good/fun fighters sprinkled throughout.

That was one of the first fights I was gonna bring up. This is actually one of the better morning/afternoon cards.

FWIW This is Durinho's first main card bout since 2015 and it only happened because Thiago Alves got hurt. To me, it's a much superior fight than the original. Alves is basically transitioning out of MMA to become a cop in South Florida. He's in the twilight of his career, and he knows it. Burns is a much more intriguing matchup because Nelson can't just dominate him on the ground, and if anything, Durinho is willing to throw haymakers. 

Also, I expect Rountree against Cutelaba to be a spectacle. 

• Like 1

Isn't throwing haymakers what Gilbert Burns does? Haymakers -> scramble -> go for a submission if memory serves correctly.

What do you think of Madsen's odds of making it in the UFC? He's got the right base, certainly. I'm a little surprised he didn't stick to welterweight and instead is in those dangerous waters of 155. 

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Isn't throwing haymakers what Gilbert Burns does? Haymakers -> scramble -> go for a submission if memory serves correctly.

What do you think of Madsen's odds of making it in the UFC? He's got the right base, certainly. I'm a little surprised he didn't stick to welterweight and instead is in those dangerous waters of 155. 

If he was 5 to 10 years younger, I would say the odds would be a little bit more promising. I think as is that his best case scenario is more Dan Henderson than Khabib. We saw with Team Takedown that the guy who had KO power and was at least two dimensional was the best out of the crop. He has less time to acclimate to this level due to his age. With his wrestling career being spent at 74kg, I'm not shocked he is going down to 155. His last fight was a catchweight at 166 with longtime boxing middleweight and super middleweight fringe contender Patrick Nielsen. I can't imagine Madsen going in there trying to grapple with some of these guys who might have a 20 to 25 pound functional weight advantage over him come fight night unless he had to.

This is confusing. UFC's website says it should be on TSN but it is not. And not even on the website as they've done  a few times when there is a lot of premier sports games on (which is not the case right now).

Edit: ? Khalil looked good when it was standing but those leg trips were way too easy. It's still not too late for him to put things together but the window is probably closing pretty quickly.

Edited by Oyaji

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

This is confusing. UFC's website says it should be on TSN but it is not. And not even on the website as they've done  a few times when there is a lot of premier sports games on (which is not the case right now).

Edit: ? Khalil looked good when it was standing but those leg trips were way too easy. It's still not too late for him to put things together but the window is probably closing pretty quickly.

I'm just caught up Rountree vs. Cutelaba. Against a more unorthodox fighter like a Eryk Anders, the muay thai stuff works great. However, against someone who knows how to time certain grappling techniques, trying to switch it up while defending is going to bedevil Rountree. He didn't have the best defensive wrestling to begin with either. He basically landed one really powerful kick to the body and then couldn't do anything else.

Durinho is still too wild on the feet for me to pick him against the top, elite welterweights, but Gunnar Nelson is a very good win especially on short notice. The Magny callout is a bit surprising given Magny has been out of the cage for a minute. However, that would be a solid matchup to make.

Hard to tell how good Madsen can be after only seeing him for just over a minute. Belluardo was an easy layup compared to what he could potentially be facing at lightweight. It's a nice start though.

I thought this would be the end of the line for the Cannonier middleweight hype train, but he somehow looked more impressive than his first two fights at middleweight. By virtue of Weidman and Rockhold abandoning middleweight and getting a win over a guy who was on an impressive run himself, Cannonier has legitimized himself as a top middleweight in a very short timeframe. A fight with a Derek Brunson or a Yoel Romero would be one I would look forward to just because Cannonier isn't scared to go after anyone.

• Like 1