DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 9/25/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Owens switched to the Stunner specifically because everyone is using a powerbomb now and it's just not that special of a move.

That sucks. The powerbomb is my absolute all time favorite move and it's just irrelevant now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

After that opening match showing what a fucking beast Keith Lee is, and how big the dude is, how could anybody take Adam Cole seriously against him if/when Keith Lee gets a title shot? 

Keith Lee is the long term hoss champ we all need in NXT.

Let him take the belt at Takeover Mania and hold it for 2 years. Initially as a face while people are happy and popping and chanting "you deserve it", then turn him heel as he becomes Apollo Creed and only fights "no-names who deserve a chance".

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Owens switched to the Stunner specifically because everyone is using a powerbomb now and it's just not that special of a move.

That sucks. The powerbomb is my absolute all time favorite move and it's just irrelevant now.

Shows out of touch with WWE I am (except for that Sasha sucks), I didn't know powerbombs made a come back.

The USA hour was good and better paced the last week's. Second hour was still good though it felt a bit weird having none of the big names involved save for WALTER who is more an NXT UK star.

Lee/Dijkovic was pretty damn good. Still watching these matches really emphasizes that Dijakovik doesn't have much right now behind him other than being good in the ring. There is a character aspect lacking. Meanwhile even with Lee only showing minor bits of character, the man is just charismatic as fuck. Honestly, I really hope Lee moves on to the NXT title and is either the one to dethrone Cole or is Riddle's first feud as champ. While Cole is popular they really do need to move on to some of these other guys if only to actually use the momentum they have and not let it piss away to a long reign for Cole as champ like they did with the women's division and Shayna.

It was nice to see Dakota back. Not sure if she is the one to beat Shayna. I still think Candice getting a transitional reign to hand the belt to Io would be the best idea.

Rhea/Lacey was decent. I'm again confused though as to why they kept Rhea's out of last week's no. 1 contender's match if she is sticking around. I like Rhea, but I feel she really shouldn't be hanging around regular NXT if she isn't winning the belt off of Shayna soon. They have other women who need building and at least 2-3 other who could easily be champ. Rhea around doing nothing just feels unnecessary.

Riddle/Dain was solid match.

Mendoza/Grimes was a really nice showcase for Mendoza.

The Imperium 6-man tag was good stuff. It nice seeing Breezango get a main event like this. Kushida vs. WALTER should be good when and wherever it happens.

2 hours ago, turk128 said:

I have a feeling Keith Lee's NXT carreer is gonna have a very similar trajectory as Big E ?

...so he's going to win the NXT title?

I'm guessing Canadian Destroyers are fine because none of them ever look like the recipient's head/neck is anywhere close to hitting the mat.

• Like 1

Look I'm not Jim Cornette or anything, but Keith Lee shouldn't be doing top rope moonsaults for near-falls. I'm inclined to think noone should be doing Canadian Destroyers for near-falls, but.......I would have liked the finish if it hadn't been proceeded by that nonsense.

And it's the opening match. What on earth is going on?!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ComingToAmerica said:

Look I'm not Jim Cornette or anything, but Keith Lee shouldn't be doing top rope moonsaults for near-falls. I'm inclined to think noone should be doing Canadian Destroyers for near-falls, but.......I would have liked the finish if it hadn't been proceeded by that nonsense.

And it's the opening match. What on earth is going on?!

Given you didn't name drop G-Raver, I can confirm you're not Cornette...

I get what you say about Keith Lee busting out overly athletic spots, but that's one of the things that's really gotten him over. Not saying he wouldn't be as over without them, but it's definitely something that's gotten him a lot of attention.

Only watched the first hour but felt there was a bunch to nitpick on:

i think they’re trying to speed through the Lee / Dijack feud, and so in that case the kick outs make a little sense. I still think it makes the most sense to have one or the other obliterate Cole for the title and reset that shit away from Johnny, Cole and Ciampa when he comes back. Then you can do the rubber match between Lee and Dijak where they really do crazy shit.

Re: Dijak

Give him a simpler name. Also, he’s Croatian? Bosnian? Something? He’s billed from Massachusetts? He’s a three sport athlete? What sports? Is he crazy? I have no idea.

Happy to see Dakota back. Looked a little rusty, but not to bad. Her Helluva kick looks fantastic, but miss the face wash that usually goes with it. The GTK is a good idea, but probably looks better if she kicked a roundhouse with the other leg. Probably easier to execute, especially with bigger girls. 

Riddle.

I thought I’d like him more than I do. His goofy persona makes it hard to take seriously. Also, looks like he’s holding back a lot, which may be an extension of not wearing shoes or knee pads. Maybe. He does a lot of moves and strikes, but I feel like he doesn’t make it seem like it means anything. The only time it felt like a move really did something to Dain was when he had to set it up, such as the v-trigger into the chair. Dain has some of the same issues, but not as much. 

Not thrilled with Riddle v. Cole. I don’t mind the undisputed era, but Cole is terrible. Least convincing offense. Honestly I feel like if he tried to do the last shot on Keith Lee he’d just bounce off.

10 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Given you didn't name drop G-Raver, I can confirm you're not Cornette...

I get what you say about Keith Lee busting out overly athletic spots, but that's one of the things that's really gotten him over. Not saying he wouldn't be as over without them, but it's definitely something that's gotten him a lot of attention.

There's a bunch of people going on after him that also need to get over. And it's like if these are two are super-duper-resilient in addition to being big, strong AND agile - how are they ever supposed to get beat by anybody else?

A guy like Keith Lee.....it needs to be double-damage if you spike him on his head basically, which actually broadly makes sense when he's carrying that much weight.

I'm curious as to who produced that bullshit.

Edited by ComingToAmerica

Everyone after them got over for different reasons just fine. ??‍♂️

I get what you're saying (or at least I think I do), but they put this match on first so they could get showcased on national TV and to get the crowd going for the rest of the night.

They did the same thing last week by having the ladies go all out last week in the opening four way match.

Who produced that? Not sure, but they are being given leniency in their matches together as they have been putting on that exact match for over 2 years now. Seriously, they stole the show during WM 33 weekend in Orlando with that match and they have continued doing it all over indys in the country and now three times in NXT. 

I wasn't talking about the crowd at Full Sail obviously.

Have you seen any of their non Full Sail matches? It didn't hurt anyone else getting over in those venues either.

I wasn't talking about the crowd at Full Sail obviously.

Have you seen any of their non Full Sail matches? It didn't hurt anyone else getting over in those venues either.

You've seen every match they ever wrestled?

That's pretty hardcore dude.

In this case, yes I think some of the highspots in Riddle vs Bro had relatively muted responses (Floating Bro, Dain's dive to the outside on Riddle, even the Vader Bombs). Now obviously, you can potentially blame that on Riddle and Dain - but I would argue that you're not giving Dain much to showcase when you've already had some larger dude hitting top rope moonsaults. 

So actually I think you can build a solid case for it hurting a subsequent match.

Less might be more with Keith but I'm sure they wanted to do a bunch of big stuff to stand out as this is only the second NXT show on USA. What irked me more than that match (which seemed like every other move had a replay) was the chair work in the fucking main -- how does a cane hurt you if you're whacking it against a chair, for example? How does my knee hurt you more if it it hits a chair first? That's just stupid.

The women's match was nice and chippy, even if it wasn't as smooth as it could be. Taynara's selling was a bit strange. I thought she was knocked loopy after an early shot until she did the same thing towards the end and realized that's just how she sells. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, turk128 said:

Such a huge contrast this week between the two hours. Hour two felt so retro NXT.

Another fantastic curtain jerker.

I have a feeling Keith Lee's NXT carreer is gonna have a very similar trajectory as Big E ?

If this leads to Lee twerking in a plate of pancakes, I'm in!

Edited by mystman

1 hour ago, ComingToAmerica said:

You've seen every match they ever wrestled?

That's pretty hardcore dude.

JESUS WHAT A BURN BRO! DEAD AND BURIED!

It's a simple yes or no question. I've only seen 1 or 2 of their previous matches, but it wasn't an issue for those following it up then and it wasn't an issue for those following it up yesterday either.

But of course you had to try and be an ass and you had to try to clown me for no reason, but cool, I see you are indeed trying to be like Cornette.

1 hour ago, ComingToAmerica said:

In this case, yes I think some of the highspots in Riddle vs Bro had relatively muted responses (Floating Bro, Dain's dive to the outside on Riddle, even the Vader Bombs). Now obviously, you can potentially blame that on Riddle and Dain - but I would argue that you're not giving Dain much to showcase when you've already had some larger dude hitting top rope moonsaults. 

So actually I think you can build a solid case for it hurting a subsequent ma

The Full Sail crowd has been pretty cold to Dain. Aside from the shock factor of him appearing and attacking Riddle originally, they just don't care for the guy. There's even been tasteless chants of "Nikki's husband" because they just don't care for him and it has nothing to do with them following up Lee vs. Dijakovic.

On the dive, we did pop fot it, but then again for the most part no one there seems to care for him.

Also, most of us missed most of the spots in the street fight as they were brawling far from most of us and we only got glimpses of it on the big screen as they kept showing the NXT logo on it.

But then again, why should I explain this to you if you've already made up your mind on the topic like Jim Cornette and are already dead set?

I guess I should've clarified as you're obviously playing the dense Cornette gimmick -- the ones who were going to get over were going to get over regardless. 

But yes, let's blame Lee and Dijakovic for Dain simply not getting over aside from that one time he attacked Riddle even though they didn't wrestle before he did the other times.

Gotcha. Noted.

Edited by Edwin

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The women's match was nice and chippy, even if it wasn't as smooth as it could be. Taynara's selling was a bit strange. I thought she was knocked loopy after an early shot until she did the same thing towards the end and realized that's just how she sells. 

100% agreed on Taynara's loopy selling.  

I'm not a fan of how little provocation there was before Kai's repeating kicks to Conti (seen at around 1:55 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JmVk8jcW0s). I have the same issue with Bayley's headlock-into-punches -- the first time we saw it, there had been a build, and now it's just a signature spot. I'm also chalking up a lot to rust in this match -- the camera angle jumped during the scorpion kick (which was sideways rather than overhead), the axe kick landed with the sole, and it seemed like the running corner kick had an early jump to it.

Edited by Iron Moose

Speaking of headlocks -- completely lost it when Raúl hit that crazy springboard headlock on Grimes. What a cool looking spot.

Edited by Edwin

47 minutes ago, Edwin said:

I guess I should've clarified as you're obviously playing the dense Cornette gimmick -- the ones who were going to get over were going to get over regardless. 

But yes, let's blame Lee and Dijakovic for Dain simply not getting over aside from that one time he attacked Riddle even though they didn't wrestle before he did the other times.

Gotcha. Noted.

Obviously I don't want to argue about this all day and you don't either I'm sure, but  it's entirely reasonable for me to point out where you've made statements where you come across as slippery & disingenuous. 

I've only seen 1 or 2 of their previous matches, but it wasn't an issue for those following it up then 

So earlier you implied that you had seen every match they ever had (I checked cagematch, quite a few of those!), and later it turns out that you don't actually know how many you've seen, yet somehow I'm supposed to trust your recollection of matches subsequent to that match or indeed those matches, whichever it is, you don't know....I mean it's all a bit thin isn't it?

You don't have to agree with me, but, know it or not, you've been trolling and you got lovetapped. It's not a gimmick, and I sincerely wish you a good evening.