DVDVR Message Board

WWE Raw 10-14-13

MGFanJay

I enjoy Del Rio's work. Here are the main problems with him though:

• He got the label of underachiever early on. He kept getting that "almost" win forever. He won the Rumble.. couldn't win the title. Beat former world champions... couldn't win the title. Won Money in the Bank and got foiled his first time trying to cash it in. He finally did cash it in and his reign lasted a month. In fact, most of his reigns (besides the current one) have been super short. No different than Ziggler in that regard. ADR is a four time champion but has held the title less than 9 months combined. Plus he had the bad timing of being the guy to get involved in Punk/Cena when clearly it should have been just those two going at it for another few months back in 2011.
  • His gimmick isn't unique enough. I think at first people saw him as a bad cross of the Million Dollar Man and JBL. Mexican aristocrat has some potential to it, but coming out in the cars and stuff just wasn't cutting it. FANTASY BOOKING ALERT. He probably should have gone with a quasi-racist angle early on of belittling fellow Mexicans, maybe even making them his servants and threatening them with deportation. "Do what I say, and I can use my influence/money to help you/your family stay in America." Would have worked great as a way to eventually get over the servant (think Virgil) when they finally stood up to him. Or even have him get the guy deported only for him to show back up months later.. ."Guess who is legal... and guess who just signed a WWE contract!"
  • He never should have turned face earlier this year because he wasn't over enough as a heel to get anybody to care. If they would have been more hardcore with his gimmick he could have eventually turned face and maybe been that Hispanic star they want so badly - but he would have to beg for forgiveness from his people #1, be proud of his heritage but not so much so that it becomes a turn off to non-Hispanics #2, and be programmed with a bigger heel than him so that he gets sympathy #3. The problem with his turn last year and feud with Big Show was that nobody really cared about Show as a heel either - he's flipped flopped so many times, and at this stage people want him as a face anyway.
  • Ricardo was too good at what he did. There is just something inherently likable and entertaining about Ricardo Rodriguez. The best thing Del Rio has ever done as a heel was probably beating the crap out of RR. 
  • Like 1

I've never understood this line of thinking.  So, what you're saying is 5 people like him (the implication being those 5 people are dumb/uneducated/being contrarian about wrestling) and those people post here (the implication being that this board is full of "Contrarians"/idiots/uneducated wrestling fans), so why would you post here?! I'm sure there are a zillion wrestling places on the net that don't profess a love for ADR so why complain about people here doing so?!  It's not about conforming, but if you go to someone's house and they serve tacos for dinner and you don't like tacos, do you sit around and complain about them eating tacos?!  No, you shut up and eat them, or go somewhere where they don't serve tacos.

You're talking to someone who in this thread has said Orton/Bryan is now "about pussy".
  • Like 1

Daniel Bryan was in the same situation a year before Del Rio, having been buried as a face for months, and then turning and being given the belt but not protected all that well (the 30 second WrestleMania match). Dolph has been given much, much less than Del Rio and is still over with the crowd.

I can only blame WWE booking so much when several performers have been victims of the same booking mistakes and still managed to overcome them and be more over and interesting than Del Rio. It isn't true that he's been given nothing to do - he just feuded with RVD for a couple of months and it was skippable. I'm sure many here will blame that on RVD, but for all his faults the crowds care about him.

Once again, late to the dance .

The majority of Raw bored the shit out of me. Then, of course, we got to the main event. Sweet baby jeebus, the Shield vs. the Rhodes boys made me feel like a 14 year old mark again. Seeing 44 year old Dustin working at such a high level and getting the time to do it against opponents who can carry their half of the match is like a gift from the wrestling gods. The WWE has been on a HUGE roll this year. If this is what things are going to look like under the HHH regime, count me in.

Also, "Swinging the larger Brodus" is now my sig. I'll knife fight you if you don't approve.

I don't remember anyone calling Del Rio/Christain a MOTYC.  The Del Rio matches with the most buzz this year are the Dolph/Del Rio double turn and the Del Rio/Show LMS match.

I'm firmly in the middle with you on Del Rio.  Good matches and a shit character, but HIS KICKS ARE FUCKING AWESOME!  The only reason that double turn worked was because of how vicious Del Rio's offense was.

I absolutely would have called it a MOTYC if two even better matches hadn't followed it on the card.  Most years, that's a borderline WWE MOTYC, at the very least.  It just so happens that it occurred in the middle of arguably the best show during what is turning into the best in-ring year WWE has had in over a decade (hell, maybe the best in-ring year WWF/WWE has had, period.)

• Like 1

I just finished watching the hulu version and HOLEE SANTA CLAUS SHIT that was awesome! I love me some clubberin', and that main event was about dudes who don't like each other beating each other to a pulp. Beautiful...

That main event was awesome, with a spectacular finish, but man, the camera work towards the end really took something away from it. We get it, it was a chaotic scene, but I'd like to enjoy it without having a seizure please. But still, can't be said enough how great a moment that was. I loved how much shine Goldie got in the match too. He was nobody's bitch tonight.

I think Tensai's weight is just weirdly distributed to be honest. He just always looks really hard to pick up and do stuff with. Strange shaped man.

I think Alberto's kicks look killer. What I like about ADR is how vicious he comes off in his matches. Like when he just jumped with a two-footed stomp onto Bryan's back. Or kicking people full in the face. Those are the kinds of things real bad dudes would do to win fights. He has a great look too, a real smug prick. I don't really get why the crowd doesn't really give a shit about him, but it isn't because he sucks.

ADR rules. I don't care what the proles thing. The proles who don't care ADR are the reason why Giant Khali still gets to have a job or why we had to endure so many terrible DX segments with octogenarian Shawn Michaels and HHH making penis innuendo jokes over the years.

The dude is so consistently good. His formula is a time proven success: Pick either a body part and work it viciously. His kicks come off so ridiculously stiff and brutal. I know people are goofing on his punches from Monday (and in general) but I like wrestling and not boxing or MMA. If I can buy into a guy being propelled off the ropes, I can buy a guy's really open and pulled punches. Also, everyone always protects themselves from punches (look at how many times guys get forearms up while in the corner) and sell it like they just got blasted by Roberto Duran.

I run contrarian to this board's fine legacy of loving good punches above all else. But I'd much rather see some crazy Sabu stuff or Sami Zayn flying tornado DDTs than some dude stiff with a punch.This doesn't count Big Show, obviously. I like his knockout punch finisher a lot. I'd rather see AHHHHHHHTHEEEEECHOOKKESLAAMMMM as his finisher, though.

Last year I saw Goldust have a great match with Kid Kash at the Nashville fair grounds. I remember thinking he should still be in WWE main eventing. So I'm really happy for Goldust and happy that Cody is finally on the right track. He is so much better as a face and he was wasted as a heel for too long.  

• Like 2

I know people are getting tired of the "turn the Shield/Wyatts" face fantasy booking, but I get the sense Wyatts are being groomed as HHH's new enforcers, or at a minimum, will be sent after the Rhodes once the Shield loses their rematch.

Why?

I can't believe this Goldust is an older version of the man known as Black Reign in TNA. No fucking way its the same guy.Seriously though; its amazing what a little motivation can do for someone's ring work.

Losing 50 pounds didn't hurt either.

I know people are getting tired of the "turn the Shield/Wyatts" face fantasy booking, but I get the sense Wyatts are being groomed as HHH's new enforcers, or at a minimum, will be sent after the Rhodes once the Shield loses their rematch.

Why?

I want the Shield to stay heels and for the Wyatts to join the Authority anyway. Shades of the Corporate Ministry mega stable.

Why?
At this point, it is probably just coincidence, but they've just happened to come out after a couple of the fringe guys who have stood up against the Authority (Kofi, now Miz). Given that HHH and Steph were bitching out the Shield even before losing the titles, it would be easy to spin it as HHH has been using them all this time.