DVDVR Message Board

The Final Tuesday Smackdown - 9/24/2019

Dolfan in NYC

2 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

This show was all over the place.  Kind of weird there was no Kofi.

Well, at least Asuka and Kairi didn't job.. 

Kofi had an interview segment with Michael Cole which was decent but man nobody believes he has any shot against Brock.  I hope it's better than their match in Japan. 

I was really into the Rowan/Bryan match. This is a good feud.  

I liked some of these new angles they are playing with in the presentation.  Maybe it was a preview for what FOX will look like.    Also,  the FOX match cards look cool.

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, was that planned or not? I'm leaning towards not. 

Also, a big bald white dude who literally has a red beard saying "might makes right" is a questionable decision.

The crowd certainly thought so, sounded like a bit of shock before going back to booing. Hopefully that's a one time thing. 

Rowan/Bryan was so darn good and probably Rowan's best singles match ever. The only thing that hurt it was the clearly botched finish. Really hope Bryan's ankle is ok. That was just bad, especially with how long he wad trapped there.

Charlotte/Carmella vs. Sasha/Bayley was solid though the finish didn't quite work with Charlotte just staring on. The 24/7 aftermath was predictable though fun with Truth to the rescue.

Wasn't all there for Ali/Nakamura, bu I liked what I saw of it.

Mandy/Sonya vs. Kairi/Asuka was fun.

The Owens/Shane segment was fine and shorter than it has been in the past so I can't complain too much.

Was nice seeing the show end on Becky and Sasha brawling.

Edited by Eivion

38 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, was that planned or not? I'm leaning towards not. 

Also, a big bald white dude who literally has a red beard saying "might makes right" is a questionable decision.

A big, bald white dude who listens to Scandinavian metal

Shane is winning and Owens will suddenly be drafted to RAW. So will Shane of course... Cue Owens vs Shane vs Miz for Mania.

Edited by Ryan
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

That was fucking weird. Are they that tone deaf? 

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

A big, bald white dude who listens to Scandinavian metal

So maybe its the general bubble I live in with how little I go out and experience the world at large, but I don't get it. When I see this stuff I just see Rowan being a general big bully/asshole who reminds me a bit of a viking. What do you you see?

12 minutes ago, Eivion said:

So maybe its the general bubble I live in with how little I go out and experience the world at large, but I don't get it. When I see this stuff I just see Rowan being a general big bully/asshole who reminds me a bit of a viking. What do you you see?

Might is Right was a book published I believe in the late 1890s or thereabouts. It claims that anglo-saxon is superior to all other races and spews other racist views and hate towards women.  In recent times it's been like the go-to text for alt-right/white superemacy groups. 

• Thanks 6

The KO-Shane story has the fatal flaw all Authority stories have: you can't get rid of a McMahon. Even if Shane "leaves", there's no reason his father or sister wouldn't give him permission to return. I can see this going to Team KO vs Team Shane at Survivors Series, anyway.

It's a waste of time. And I'm not someone who actively hates Shane.

The Bryan rope tie-up was scary. I can't imagine that was planned. Looked like he had pretty bad rope burn.

The Rowan line was head-scratching. I don't see a scenario where it would be intentional, but they have to be careful with that.

Edited by Burgundy LaRue

Might was also written under a pseudonym by somebody calling himself Ragnar Redbeard, thus me referencing that. Anton LaVey always thought it was Jack London, but that's likely apocryphal. 

Ironically I know about this shit from involvement in the metal scene. I doubt WWE knows anything about it, it's just a ridiculous coincidence.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Might is Right was a book published I believe in the late 1890s or thereabouts. It claims that anglo-saxon is superior to all other races and spews other racist views and hate towards women.  In recent times it's been like the go-to text for alt-right/white superemacy groups. 

Only ever head it as a saying coming from bullies in various media. Didn't realize it had such a racist background.

Only if you truly confess, can your sins against social justice be washed away. 

It does make a certain sense if you think about it. Sin is ignorance.

6 hours ago, Eivion said:

Only ever head it as a saying coming from bullies in various media. Didn't realize it had such a racist background.

I actually didn't either. I understood the logical implications of the phrase from a political perspective, but I wasn't aware there was an actual book.

(On-Topic post coming right up.......)

Edited by ComingToAmerica
  • Like 1