Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?


Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

Recommended Posts

It all depends on where you live, your insurance, who is doing it and all kinds of other things. You should be able to get it for free. Some states may just suck.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Administered the swab myself after FINALLY managing to actually set something up.

Thanks to CVS for that. 

Yadda yadda yadda...I'll see what happens in 2 to 3.

Edited by PetrolCB
Link to post
Share on other sites

Puny virus no match for Hulk. Hulk not feeling so well. Hulk needs to take a nap for awhile. Hulk feel hot. Someone get Hulk a latte.

Pretty Sick… | Ratchet's Hulk Collection

sculpture Incredible Hulk wearing protective mask precautionary Foto  editorial en stock; Imagen en stock | Shutterstock

Edited by Ryan
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

And Winnipeg just got moved to Code Red on the provincial pandemic scale as our cases are starting to get out of control. 480 cases today, which is the worst per capita any province in Canada has seen since the start of the pandemic. All restaurants are closing on Monday, which means I'm getting furloughed for the 2nd time. The first lasted 4 months, hopefully this one is only a few weeks if Winnipeggers take this as the fucking wake up call that they should have had a month ago.

Thankfully I don't have to reapply for unemployment, since Canada's system is pretty great and you can stay on it if you are working 30 or less hours a week. Since going back in July, I've only been working 15-25 hours a week so I never went off it.

Our stupid government is still running Restart Manitoba ads (RestartMB if you're nasty)....because mixed messages have been their bread and butter since spring.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Closing restaurants at the start of next week is certainly a choice. Lets everyone know they should get out there and have as much fun as possible this weekend because they're grounded on Monday. 

That's been their move every time they've changed the restrictions, announce on Friday, goes into effect Monday. They treat it like a record release that needs to be teased. Yesterday they announced that there would be new restrictions announced at the press conference today....it's like, you clearly know what they are, just announce them we don't need a build up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, elizium said:

And Winnipeg just got moved to Code Red on the provincial pandemic scale as our cases are starting to get out of control. 480 cases today, which is the worst per capita any province in Canada has seen since the start of the pandemic. All restaurants are closing on Monday, which means I'm getting furloughed for the 2nd time. The first lasted 4 months, hopefully this one is only a few weeks if Winnipeggers take this as the fucking wake up call that they should have had a month ago.

Thankfully I don't have to reapply for unemployment, since Canada's system is pretty great and you can stay on it if you are working 30 or less hours a week. Since going back in July, I've only been working 15-25 hours a week so I never went off it.

Our stupid government is still running Restart Manitoba ads (RestartMB if you're nasty)....because mixed messages have been their bread and butter since spring.

Shitty deal, man.

I work for the province, so I have to tread carefully with what I say, but way too much of the pandemic planning has been based on the economy, and not on keeping us safe. I am sure the only reason these restrictions came in is because they are running out of ICU beds to treat people.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It is what it is. They should have done it 2 weeks ago, but I am glad they are now. I understand the desire to do anything but shut down completely, but at a certain point it’s the best option. I’m in a good position, but I am worried about some of the people I work with or people that work at small restaurants. 
 

I just hope people don’t use shut down not happening until after Halloween as an excuse to go nuts. 

Edited by elizium
Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently, European countries one after the other are going into a second lockdown. Austria will follow starting next week. With the current numbers, that has been inevitable. For example Switzerland, one of the richest countries in the world, has announced last Tuesday, that they are 10 to 14 days away from getting an overload in ICU stations, i.e. that patients have to be triaged. My state yesterday alone had about 112 new cases per 100000 people, a number that that would correspond to about 370000 new cases a day in the US.

Meanwhile, there have been riots in a couple of European cities (mostly in Italy, so far) against the current restrictions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone against anything to stop the spread of this who doesn't have even a remotely legitimate gripe (whining about freedom is not legitimate) can have fun catching the damn thing. My state's turning into a nightmare. More than the usual reasons.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Was shocked how many kids were out trick or treating in our neighborhood.  We might have had a record number of kids.

Curious if that is typical.  Comments I've seen on social media have run thew gamut from practically none to record numbers.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My kids went out and got a ridiculous haul. Most people had tables set up at the end of their drive way that they'd watch over from their living room window. I guess they felt bad for the kids because they came home with full sized candy bars and bags of gummi bears you'd find in a break room.

My wife said the only person who had the kids come up to their door was an elderly lady. She was practically inviting children in. I wasn't surprised.

I don't know how it is everywhere else, but I elderly people give zero fucks up here. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Budapest seems to be one of the few capital cities where nothing that significant has been done. From today we now have to mask up inside bars (need to be closed at 23:00) and restaurants, but pretty much everything goes on as normal. Though there aren't really any tourists, so that does cut numbers a hell of a lot where I live.

The last day of my current 180 day gym membership is today, I was going to 'deload' for a few days anyway but if they're going to 'circuit-break' before Xmas then they have to pretty much get on with it so it might be my last day in a gym for a while. Funnily enough, my gym remained partially opened during the first lockdown - I will admit to going when in the first few days because it was the gym breaking the rule and not me, but then they changed to an actual 'no leaving the house without reason' policy and I didn't go; if I am honest, it was somewhat because it became a pain to get on the things I wanted in a packed gym anyway, and also my gf didn't like it.

So all in all, I think it may be back to calisthenics for a bit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It was our first house where we could actually do things for trick or treating (previous places were in the back of a building and not the front)  So it was neat to do that even if I had to wear a mask and gloves while putting the candy in bags (felt like I was part of a drug movie at times)  But putting that on a table outside plus a bottle of sanitizer worked out and we all had fun doing it.  We were surprised we got as many as we did considering this year but at least it meant most of the candy didn't stay here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Robert C said:

We had fewer than normal, but still a lot. We roped off our yard and had our five year old drive the candy out to them in a remote control truck. 

This sounds like an amazing idea!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, jaedmc said:

My kids went out and got a ridiculous haul. Most people had tables set up at the end of their drive way that they'd watch over from their living room window. I guess they felt bad for the kids because they came home with full sized candy bars and bags of gummi bears you'd find in a break room.

My wife said the only person who had the kids come up to their door was an elderly lady. She was practically inviting children in. I wasn't surprised.

I don't know how it is everywhere else, but I elderly people give zero fucks up here. 

A few people in our neighborhood handed out candy outside, and a few left their lights off, but I dunno that it was a lot.  We were going to stay outside and hand out candy in the drive, but it was cold out so we went back to the usual plan.  

After comparing notes with the neighbors, we think we probably got 750-1,000 kids.  Sounds about right.  We ran out of candy, scavenged some from neighbors, ran out of that, and started handing out whatever goodies were in the house.  Store-bought cookies, a tray of brownies, ice cream bars in the freezer, granola bars,. a box of powerbars, etc.

Probably the best turnout in years.s  Turnout the past few years has been more like 400-500 past 5-10 years.  KInda amazed the various local governments, health depts. let it go on, but I was all in favor or having Halloween, so I'm glad they did.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good lord. We didn't get any kids at all (though we never do considering we live in a tiny neighborhood in a cornfield). I didn't even get to hang out with the friends I have left in town, which I will probably risk doing this weekend even though I shouldn't, because the place I was going ended up having one of their dads showing up with their younger brother who has cerebral palsy. The poor kid hasn't been able to get out at all this year, so I guess they wanted to do SOMEthing. I told them it's better now than for Thanksgiving or Christmas because you KNOW we are gonna be well fucked by the time both of those roll around. 

This is fucked for me too because I might be taking on seasonal work, which I shouldn't do considering the age of my folks, but I'm flat broke. Let's just say the last year plus (since May '19) has been a meat grinder and leave it at that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Shartnado said:

This sounds like an amazing idea!

The teenagers that came by said we were the coolest people on the street, so I guess we did something right.  

I was actually kinda disappointed.  My son loves construction equipment, so I got him a remote controlled dump truck to use for this, trying to do something special since he's missing out on so much like every other kid this year.  Got it a month in advance, tested it out beforehand, etc.  Everything worked fine.  I made this big deal about giving it to him Halloween morning, then found out that the damn thing wouldn't turn on.  Spent all day on it, but never could get it to work reliably.  Fortunately, he had an old RC pickup, and it ended up working just about as well as the dump truck would've.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Robert C said:

The teenagers that came by said we were the coolest people on the street, so I guess we did something right.  

I was actually kinda disappointed.  My son loves construction equipment, so I got him a remote controlled dump truck to use for this, trying to do something special since he's missing out on so much like every other kid this year.  Got it a month in advance, tested it out beforehand, etc.  Everything worked fine.  I made this big deal about giving it to him Halloween morning, then found out that the damn thing wouldn't turn on.  Spent all day on it, but never could get it to work reliably.  Fortunately, he had an old RC pickup, and it ended up working just about as well as the dump truck would've.  

Oh, man! The dump truck would have been the best! I can understand your disappointment, but even as is, this sounds spectacular!

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Eoae said:

After comparing notes with the neighbors, we think we probably got 750-1,000 kids.  Sounds about right.  We ran out of candy, scavenged some from neighbors, ran out of that, and started handing out whatever goodies were in the house.  Store-bought cookies, a tray of brownies, ice cream bars in the freezer, granola bars,. a box of powerbars, etc.

Holy shit, dude.  I can't imagine how much it'd take to dish out candy for that many as we were paying quite a bit for the about 90 that we had.  Though that was on me for not stocking up earlier.  I'm just glad we got rid of most of it since with me finally losing some weight I can't keep that around the house.

And not to be a Debbie Downer but please y'all stay safe tonight.  I think my area's fine since it's mainly rich old folks complaining more than anything else.  But I'm thinking about other areas where shit's likely gonna be rough and I just feel incredibly sad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...