DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

I mean, I just heard it put very well, the rhythm of this country just keeps going on. This shit is going to just keep happening until there's actual nationwide police reform and not just Aunt Jemima going away.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ryan said:

Is the second one still supposed to cause chaos as well?

Thankfully, Marco hit landfall a few days ago further south in Texas and did not seem to cause a great deal of damage. 

Laura was practically a Cat 5 when she made landfall, and as of a couple hours ago was still a cat 2 and still had a decent eyewall despite being over land.

Meanwhile we have Pence at the RNC talking about how "the violence " has to stop and how too many "heroes" have died for this to be happening, and how they're going to restore "law and order."

You'd think their dog whistle would have caught fire from overuse at this point.

• Like 5

The fucking convention was going to be supremely tone deaf regardless but to say all that with the Kenosha situation going on is beyond abhorrent.  I have a lot more to say but at the risk of getting too political I'll hold off.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Meanwhile we have Pence at the RNC talking about how "the violence " has to stop and how too many "heroes" have died for this to be happening, and how they're going to restore "law and order."

You'd think their dog whistle would have caught fire from overuse at this point.

While he was saying this, literally, the people in Kenosha were peacefully protesting and nothing happened all night.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

It's probably ceramic and can't light on fire. They were thinking ahead with their figurative items of hate.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Andy in Kansas said:

They've long since traded in dog whistles for the "Suburban Lifestyle Dream" foghorn. 

I assume they are using a calliope of some sort keeping in the theme of the whole thing. 
The Big Top Calliope - Hammacher Schlemmer

Edited by Ryan
  • Like 1

On 6/23/2020 at 7:15 PM, supremebve said:

I wore gloves.  I'm very careful, because I wear contacts.  I once got my contacts out without a problem, but the next morning when I put them back in, I found out that contact solution did nothing to dilute the capsaicin that was lurnking on the lens from my fingers.  

Yikes. Reminds me of how almost 10 years ago my father calls me "Get me something to grind up a bunch of peppers." Ordered him a mini electric grinder. Give it to him. Week later he gives it back to me. "I put a bunch of the peppers I grew in it. Turned it on,and guess I didnt have the lid on tight. Got a face full of ground up pepper. Fuck this gadget!"

So, his father reports the paralyzed Blake is handcuffed to his fucking hospital bed and won't say what he's charged with or anything. Doing my state proud as usual.

• Sad 7

Reminds me of a (possibly apocryphal) story I've seen posted on Facebook recently. 

Cop is talking to a group of students in school, asks what the definition of an assault might be. Kid says, "a guy handcuffed, face down on the ground, getting kicked in the face". Cop says "but he might be resisting arrest". Kid says "but he's handcuffed, face down on the ground." Cop says "let's not get political here." 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ryan said:

So, his father reports the paralyzed Blake is handcuffed to his fucking hospital bed and won't say what he's charged with or anything. Doing my state proud as usual.

They don't have to identify any new charges (yet) since he outstanding warrants already*. 

* - not a commentary in any way. 

Allow me to derail things before we wind up getting too political and pissing the Admins off, (in no way does this imply that I disagree with anything that has been said regarding the awful events of late.) The handcuffing of Blake seems like a particularly vile action, though FWIW, when my new blood pressure meds shut down my kidneys and put me into a coma four/five years back, the hospital in Albuquerque saw fit to tie my wrists to the bed. Why? Damned if I know, I was in a fucking coma for four days and unable to move,  why the hell would you put a person in that condition in restraints? I'll differentiate the two situations as with Mr. Blake it just seems needlessly cruel and the sort of behavior that you would expect from jackbooted thugs; and in my case it was more along the lines of malpractice. I should have sued the fuckers for every dime they had as during the four days that violated Nursing 101 (when you have an immobile patient, move them around to prevent bed-sores. They didn't, and as a result my back looks like I've been clawed by Wolverine. I was just so glad to be alive that pursuing a lawsuit just didn't seem to be important. Anyway, that's a lot of blarney as a prelude to changing the subject.

In the grand scheme of things this is really small potatoes, but annoying none-the-less. The morning routine here is a simple one, whoever gets up first turns on Mr. Coffee and lets the gang of eight cats out. Well, Kathy was up at 7:30 and I got up at 8:00 and promptly stepped in a small pile of bloody feathers... The suspects are actually few, Jorkens and Sumuru at 16 and 13 don't hunt any longer. Jackpot and Seven used to be hell on wheels when it came to birds and lizards, however, as soon as they turned six it was like they completely lost interest. Cersei has never been a hunter so that leaves Sansa, Arya, and Spike as the likely suspects. As Sansa has been out many, many times and never caught a bird, I tend to write her off the suspect list. That leaves the two babies (actually 15 months old). No idea which one it was, I checked under the bed and in likely spots like behind the couch to see if there was a partially-eaten corpse somewhere, but no sign of anything... 

Then fifteen minutes ago I hear wings flapping and panicked chirping. Damned if Arya hasn't caught a bird, (leading me to think that she was responsible for the first one). So we chased her around the house until she finally dropped it. Unfortunately, it was as dead as Dillinger. So now we have at least one accomplished hunter, (Spike seems more interested in lizards and the hummingbirds. He has zero chance of getting at one of the hummingbirds, and I really don't care about the skinks, there are far too many of them and being as stupid as a box of rocks, they tend to come into the kitchen and hide under the refrigerator until they die or get hungry and come out and that's when Spike gets them. As long as he leaves the horned lizards alone, it's all good. I await the day that he sees a Chuckwalla,  that may alter his desire to chase lizards forever... (Those suckers get pretty damn big, we found an immature specimen a couple of years ago and it was about six inches with about eight inches of tail.) So between posts, I am sweeping up feathers as Kathy dampmops for any blood or other bodily fluids... Damn, two in one morning, I don't like the implications of this at all.

• Like 1

Tethering unconscious patients' arms is standard medical practice.  Folks in that situation tend to move their extremities about more than you'd think, and not at all in a controlled manner.  Since they also tend to be surrounded by a lot of wires, tubes, etc that don't do well when pulled on, the tethers turn out to be the lesser of two evils.  I watched my unconscious father pull a feeding tube two days after emergency brain surgery, when he was briefly untethered. 

Doesn't mean that they shouldn't move you around for four days.  And really, really doesn't mean that gunshot victims need to be handcuffed.

One of my son's cats has started catching bats. It's pretty obvious which one it is. Harry is small and eats loads, Wizard is huge and eats far less. He doesn't need the calories, he's lazy as anything.