DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

We almost never do Cracker Barrel because when my wife went on a family road trip to Disney World as a kid, her uncle made them stop and eat at every single one they drove past (like multiple times a day.) I know the guy pretty well and he’s really cool, so I’m not sure what was going on with him in 1995 that instigated this psychotic behavior. 

59 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I temporarily sated my southern food craving by making pan fried porkchops, cream gravy, mashed potatoes, and green beans.  Everything was awesome except the pork chops, which were really tough.  Which brings me to my next complaint:

My local grocery got bought out by Kroger last year and it fuckin' sucks! Their meat and produce are both garbage and the store is constantly understaffed.  They've also done the bare minimum to pay lip service to protecting customers or employees from Covid.  I feel like shit every time I shop there but I'm also not ballin' enough to shop regularly at Hy-Vee.

We're supposed to get a Costco built 2 miles away from our place next year so hopefully I can do most of my shopping there and avoid it entirely.

We don't have Krogers here for some reason.  East Texas has them, though.  My main memory of them that doesn't involve cheap alcohol is the grey meat.

Just now, Robert C said:

We don't have Krogers here for some reason.  East Texas has them, though.  My main memory of them that doesn't involve cheap alcohol is the grey meat.

We had them in Kansas in the form of Dillons.  They were the only game in town once they drove out IGA and I mostly remember them being fine but I wasn't exactly a discerning shopper back then.

One thing I miss about Texas is shopping at HEB.

I know I'm a little late, but the mention of hot sauce and Cracker Barrel reminds me that the home brand of hot sauce they sell at CB is amazing.  i think it's called Gold.

Anyway, for the first time in American history, the House of Representatives has voted to approve statehood for DC.    

(It will not pass the Senate, but this is a huge first step.  I've got a close friend that works at DC Vote, the biggest advocacy group for statehood, and it's just amazing that this went from a fringe issue to passing a house of Congress in just about 5 years.) 

• Like 3

The thing I don't understand about the fact that America has a chain restaurant called International (sic) House of Pancakes is... it's really fucking easy to make pancakes at home. Like, I could make pancakes when I was 8 years old. Flour, Eggs, Milk/ Water. A mixing bowl, a whisk, a frying pan and some oil. Whatever you want to top them with*. That's it. That's everything you need. You don't even need to measure the amounts, if you know what you're doing. Why go to a restaurant for that? 

* Lemon juice is for idiots.

42 minutes ago, AxB said:

The thing I don't understand about the fact that America has a chain restaurant called International (sic) House of Pancakes is... it's really fucking easy to make pancakes at home. Like, I could make pancakes when I was 8 years old. Flour, Eggs, Milk/ Water. A mixing bowl, a whisk, a frying pan and some oil. Whatever you want to top them with*. That's it. That's everything you need. You don't even need to measure the amounts, if you know what you're doing. Why go to a restaurant for that? 

Never underestimate the laziness of those who don't want to cook.  Like me this morning.  I have pancake mix all ready to go and I still got IHop.  Yeah, I'm not proud of it either.

Cosign the HEB love. They've got curbside pickup and since the lockdown began earlier in the year that's about the only way all of my family has gotten their groceries, from HEB

They'll bring the groceries out to your car and unload everything in the trunk to make contact as minimal as possible. For my sister, who has a daughter with respiratory issues and my mom living with her, it's been a blessing for them. 

I'm diabetic myself and have only gone inside grocery stores when HEB is out of stock on some stuff.

To no surprise counties are now making masks mandatory around here and the reopening process has been slowed down, so that's a tiny bit of relief from all the anxiety and stress. My sister just enrolled her daughter in homeschooling for next semester while my nephew is undecided if he wants to attend public school or not. He may end up homeschooled too so as not to put his sister and grandma at risk. 

If there was any way at all to put myself in cryogenic sleep and wait this whole thing out, I'd probably sign up in a heartbeat. The stress is getting to where I'm losing sleep and aching all over.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, AxB said:

Hold up a sec...

You put lemon juice on pancakes?   Why do British people cook like they hate food?  ? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Dolfan in NYC said:

Hold up a sec...

You put lemon juice on pancakes?   Why do British people cook like they hate food?  ? 

Have you had British food?  It's probably an improvement.  

• Haha 1

Plus pancakes can be kind of a pain in the ass unless you know what you're doing.  Not overmixing the batter, getting the heat right, &c.

Since we got a waffle iron for our wedding I haven't even bothered trying to make pancakes.

25 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Hold up a sec...

*I* don't. Most British people do, because they're too susceptible to advertising, and before Pancake day (Shrove Tuesday, the day Lent ends) Jif lemon juice has loads of adverts on telly saying how important it is to put lemon juice and sugar on pancakes.

But if you're going to use sugar and fruit juice, why anyone would buy a plastic lemon when real oranges are both cheaper and tastier I don't know. Hence me saying Lemon Juice is for idiots.

• Like 1

This is going to sound bizarre, but I've had two really amazing pancake experiences. One is at a locally owned place here called Biblers that has bacon pancakes. They're fucking awesome.

The other place that had amazing pancakes? One of the newer hospitals here. It was probably a few years ago, one of the times my mom fell and wound up in the hospital, and I went to get breakfast at the cafeteria. The pancakes were the size of a plate and they were so fucking good.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jaedmc said:

My wife loves Cracker Barrel. I've had two racist experiences at two seperate locations, one of which she witnessed, so I generally refuse to dine at their establishments. She still begs me when we go on roadtrips to eat there.

I'm probably due to cave in next time we get to go on a vacation. I'll end up getting some chicken fried shit with gravy and be filled with nothing but sorrow and regret.

And that's just from the food! Oy. The place lives up to it's weird reputation somehow.

Of restaurants in that genre, I'd much rather to go to Bob Evans than Cracker Barrel or IHOP or Waffle House. 

Less expensive on the whole for about the same quality food. It helps there is one right by working I can eat at or pick up from with ease.

Edited by odessasteps

52 minutes ago, Craig H said:

This is going to sound bizarre, but I've had two really amazing pancake experiences. One is at a locally owned place here called Biblers that has bacon pancakes. They're fucking awesome.

The other place that had amazing pancakes? One of the newer hospitals here. It was probably a few years ago, one of the times my mom fell and wound up in the hospital, and I went to get breakfast at the cafeteria. The pancakes were the size of a plate and they were so fucking good.

Sometimes you get weirdly good food experiences.  Our cafeteria at work is decent in general, but the make AMAZING fried chicken.

The patient/family hotel attached to the MD Anderson hospital in Houston has really good fried chicken as well.  Actually, their room service in general is good, which is weird because the hotel restaurant is putrid.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AxB said:

*I* don't. Most British people do, because they're too susceptible to advertising, and before Pancake day (Shrove Tuesday, the day Lent ends) Jif lemon juice has loads of adverts on telly saying how important it is to put lemon juice and sugar on pancakes.

But if you're going to use sugar and fruit juice, why anyone would buy a plastic lemon when real oranges are both cheaper and tastier I don't know. Hence me saying Lemon Juice is for idiots.

I suppose you mean "the day before Lent starts" (unless British people are so stern that they combine carnival and lent).

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I don't make pancakes myself, because chances are if I'm eating pancakes, it's either far too early (like 6am) or it's far too late (like 2am), and I should probably be asleep and not cooking. That's practically the only time I eat pancakes. Either I have to be somewhere and I need to eat something before I go, or I'm coming back from somewhere and I need to eat before I go to bed.

The exception is the Galaxy Diner here in Richmond, because I am silly enough to eat a pancake with an Oreo in the center once a year.

We just make pancakes from the box here at home. Nothing fancy. Actually, we usually just use the pancake mix to make waffles. Look, damn near everything else my wife or I will make from scratch. Pancakes from the box are easy and fun to do with my daughter.

Anyone ever have breakfast for dinner as a kid? I remember my family making pancakes and bacon or french toast and bacon for dinner sometimes and I haven't really done it with my daughter. Maybe that was just an 80s thing.

Edited by Craig H

18 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Anyone ever have breakfast for dinner as a kid? I remember my family making pancakes and bacon or french toast and bacon for dinner sometimes and I haven't really done it with my daughter. Maybe that was just an 80s thing.

Used to be what we did for Shrove Tuesday. Pancakes and either bacon or breakfast sausage. 

Shit, sometimes I still do breakfast for dinner if I'm feeling especially indulgent. An omelette with a hash brown patty can really hit the spot some nights. At those moments, I feel very much like Ron Swanson. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 2