DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

It's Wisconsin, wouldn't the word be "still" as opposed to "again"? Don't mind me, I'm just kickin' it counting tarantulas  (two so far), and that's probably where it ends until September or October when they come out looking for a mate. Tarantula #1 made the acquaintance of Seven, which went far better than I would have thought. Cat sort of tapped at the spider who reared up and displayed fangs, cat recalled an appointment elsewhere and rushed off to attend to it. Spider sat there for about twenty minutes and then ambled off up the hill.

• Haha 1

My father always taught me to be very pragmatic, so "we shall see."

Wisconsin, Georgia, and Florida are the petrie dishes for the rest of the country.  So far, cases in Georgia and Florida remain flat.

The problem is that so many of the predictions were wildly off-target, but the news cycle moves so fast now that no one has a chance to absorb and study the figures. 

I mean, Christ, both CNN.com and Politico have been focused all day on the Richard Burr insider trading scandal instead of having reporters on the ground in Wisconsin to monitor open bars/restaurants/malls and see if people are getting sick as they dine or shop.

Edited by Southside Jim
Edited to reflect I was referring to CNN's website, rather than the cable channel.

32 minutes ago, Southside Jim said:

I mean, Christ, both CNN and Politico have been focused all day on the Richard Burr insider trading scandal instead of having reporters on the ground in Wisconsin to monitor open bars/restaurants/malls and see if people are getting sick as they dine or shop.

The incubation period being what it is, I doubt pointing a camera at someone sipping an espresso is going to tell us much. 

• Like 5

I don't like CNN or Politico, but... it's suddenly a bad thing that their attention is on a scandal where a sitting US Senator profited off the Coronavirus pandemic? They should ignore that story, and instead send Erin Burnett and a camera crew to Wisconsin to watch people eat or shop and see if they suddenly develop the virus right infront of their eyes?

What?

EDIT: Clearly you don't even watch CNN, because as I'm typing this... they have someone on the ground in Wisconsin, reporting on the re-opening of a bar.

Edited by Casey
  • Haha 2

Get back to me in a month when we see how the cases are in the places that haven't put their own orders in place up here and the death counts. You won't know with Florida and Georgia for quite awhile until sick people start mingling with the rest of society. There's also the people who will just stay at home because they're not fucking idiots or have the ability to wait it out monetarily. Also, Wisconsin is never NOT drunk. It's a continuous state of pure inebriation. I don't drink, so I don't fucking care about the Taverns, they could close the whole damn thing for all I care. Plenty of ways to get fucked up on alcohol without being around a bunch of cursing drunk old fucks in some dive.

They're doing phase one in Maryland where stores, barber shops and the like are opening back up at 5 today.  My wife is thrilled because she needed a haircut badly.  But aside from that I'm still staying in unless I really need something.  And if I go to the mall I might as well have my arms sticking sideways the while time while "Can't touch this" is blaring from the phone.  No, I really won't do that but the temptation will surely be there.  And forget the idea of bars and restaurants when they eventually open.  I'd rather scope out seedy dive bars that nobody really goes to and find a way to imbibe without getting sick.  Or better yet I'll just save money and continue drinking at home.  I wish I could be pragmatic about it like Southside but from what I've seen with places that have opened bars I think I'm good without it for quite awhile.

I'm also glad I moved last year before all this started.  I loved living in Baltimore but the place was small and I would have gone crazy having to work from home all the time.  Here I have my own office and a good bit more of the house to chill in when I clock out.

@NikoBaltimore  Depends on where in Maryland, though.  I'm in MoCo and we're still (thankfully) under stay at home orders.  It's county by county.  PG is also still on lockdown.  Isn't Baltimore (city, not county) also still under stay at home orders?  Frederick is like 10-15 minutes north of where I live and they're partially reopening, though. 

This thing isn't even declining and half the people in the country are clamoring for stuff like bars and restaurants and gun ranges or whatever to reopen because staying at home is so hard and OMG mY FrEeDoMs.  I mean look I know it's hard.  I'm going stir crazy, working from home sucks, and my family here is all driving each other nuts.  But I'd rather be here and healthy than out and about and sick.  And I know plenty of people have it worse and don't have the luxury to work from home while posting with you knuckleheads.  But still, holy fuck.  Can't wait for this thing to blow up again and certain public officials will act like it wasn't their fault and that there was no way of knowing that reopening too soon would be disastrous even though every other headline says "reopening too soon would be disastrous."  Sorry for the rant guys but this thing is disturbing. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Southside Jim said:

Wisconsin, Georgia, and Florida are the petrie dishes for the rest of the country.  So far, cases in Georgia and Florida remain flat.

Florida's flat because the governor told the coroner's not to list the deaths. GA has had another 1000+ new cases day. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

@NikoBaltimore  Depends on where in Maryland, though.  I'm in MoCo and we're still (thankfully) under stay at home orders.  It's county by county.  PG is also still on lockdown.  Isn't Baltimore (city, not county) also still under stay at home orders?  Frederick is like 10-15 minutes north of where I live and they're partially reopening, though. 

Sorry, forgot to mention about counties that are still not re-opening anything which is for the best.  I would have have been a lot more salty about this if the whole state opened but I still worry it won't stop people from heading to the counties you mentioned or vice versa.

Bars in Milwaukee are still staying closed and most of the surrounding towns are as well since a lot of them are waiting for some kind of guidelines.

Most of the bars by me aren't even thinking about opening up for a while since they pivoted to curbside or delivery and it'll take a second to transition back. Gotta love the Mexican place by me that sells quart containers of margaritas and writes soup on the top of it.

The bar I play sand volleyball at is thinking about starting play at the end of June so we'll see what happens with that. Two of my bowling leagues got cancelled and paid us out, still waiting on the other one if they think people want to spend their summer nights inside a bowling alley, they're mistaken.

I've been fortunate to work for a company that gave us a work from home option ahead of time since most of their offices are in places that get snow storms so the transition has been mostly ok, aside from getting tired of cooking more often, and I like to cook!

They're allowing everything to open up here in NEW, they all threw in the towel yesterday and said fuck it because the legislature doesn't give a shit and the governor can't do anything. They never cared in the first place. If people in Madison and Milwaukee and in the city of Green Bay, so what? They're not in their districts. Our brain dead supreme court is allowed to hear cases from their own campaign donors through legal shenanigans and they do not give a damn.

Edited by Ryan
  • Like 3

Here in Tennessee, social gatherings are still limited to no more than 10 - but if you want to go to an amusement park, water park, theater, retail chains, restaurant, etc. then go crazy! Restrictions are lifted after 5/22! The idea of giving businesses the power to police themselves when it comes to distancing polices and whatnot is absurd. If it limits their profits and have no one to answer to but themselves, they won’t do what’s best. 

• Like 2

I feel like there's going to be a lot of issues where employees are going to be put into shitty situations, because they're going to have to act like bouncers, but are completely untrained to do so. Nor should that be their role regardless. You're already hearing stories about people getting hit or screamed at.

On 5/15/2020 at 4:58 AM, Technico Support said:

@NikoBaltimore  

This thing isn't even declining and half the people in the country are clamoring for stuff like bars and restaurants and gun ranges or whatever to reopen because staying at home is so hard and OMG mY FrEeDoMs. 

*shrugs*

Welcome to living in a democracy.

That's giving the rich and powerful too much credit, they're just as stupid as the rest of us. We're a fallassbackwardintostuffocracy.

Edited by Ryan
  • Like 2