DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

7 hours ago, Ryan said:

I think there was thousands for this one actually. Lots of people who really don't care that most of the people dying in Michigan are black I presume.

I think that’s the point, actually.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

My favorite part of the Lansing protests today was the Confederate flags. In Michigan. A state so far north you can drive directly into Canada. A state that, when asked for soldiers for the union, proudly sent double the requested number.

I always see more confederate flags in Michigan than in any other state I've visited and it's fucking dumb. Most of southern Michigan is a fucking cesspool, but I've seen that shit pretty far north too. This is why I'm glad I'm not married to someone from Michigan anymore and the only time I visit the state is to go to Lake Michigan beaches.

Speaking of which, I imagine going to Lake Michigan beaches this year in and around St. Joseph is going to be really sad seeing all of the erosion.

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Oh, believe me I know. I'm from a town of about 700. One dumbass in my graduating class had a Confederate flag decal that covered the entire rear window of his pickup. Just fucking insane.

Sad but true, my frequent writing partner in the late nineties was Edward Lee (Lee Seymour), one thing that was a constant in our stories and books was the stereotypical scary redneck. Lots of people complimented us on getting the vibe just right and wondered if either or both of us spent extensive time in West Virginiia, rural Kentucky or the like. The sad answer was "No, these were people in Crofton, MD and Snohomish County in Washington," we're talking thirty minutes from Seattle... Granted, we kicked things up a notch as I don't think that most of these people are using a coffee can filled with nightcrawlers and hand lotion as a sex toy, or performing arcane rituals to raise ancient demons that feast on vomit cobbler, but you never know...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I want to dispute the southern Michigan comments but I'd be lying. No critical thinking. 

https://m.metrotimes.com/news-hits/archives/2020/04/17/royal-oak-mayor-asks-commissioner-kim-gibbs-to-resign-after-she-was-spotted-walking-around-at-operation-gridlock

Edited by Six String Orchestra

I live in mid-Michigan, grew up in what would be mid/northern Michigan, in a poor, rural, and just overwhelmingly white area. (I mean, in my graduating class of ~120, there were three non-white students, two of whom were brothers and the third was adopted by white parents) and that casual "I'm not a racist, but..." racism was absolutely everywhere. It made me deeply uncomfortable as a teenager, and it infuriates me now.

But the God damn Confederate flag man... There's a guy who lives around here I see driving around in his truck occasionally with two giant flags flying, one on each side of the bed, the U.S. flag, and the treason flag, and I just can't understand it.

We had one of those rally's in Orlando today. Only a few hundred people showed up wearing Trump gear and waving black and blue flags. The mayor called them a circus and the people called that an honor.Orange County has about 1500 cases of covid confirmed but it's probably much more since poor people can't make it to get tested. Where I live in Seminole county, it's about 300.  Up in Jacksonville, they opened up the beaches for "exercise" and apparently "exercise" includes Fishing which people were doing as soon as it opened up with beer. We deserve this for voting De Santis in. Of course the guy he was facing turned out to be a drug addict so who knows what would have happened.

I think I’ve gotten so used to the anxiety of living in lockdown that I forget it’s there. I was just waiting in the car while my wife got in line to pick up some groceries she ordered. Was looking at my phone when some lady knocked on the window to ask for change, and I jumped out of my skin and very nearly told her to fuck right off. Ugh.

In Idaho, we have a nut job state representative from Northern Idaho calling the governor a "Little Hitler" and comparing nonessential workers to Jews in Nazi Germany. https://www.idahostatejournal.com/coronavirus/idaho-rep-heather-scott-calls-governor-little-hitler-compares-nonessential-workers-to-holocaust-victims/article_1b70f69d-769d-5266-9551-098f7b8f5eb4.html 

My corner of Idaho seems relatively sane, as this is more Mormon country than wackjob country, though the Venn diagram is pretty close on those. Then again dispute living most of my life here, I'm more from Idaho, than of Idaho, if you understand me. . .  

GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY

My neighbor is learning the ukulele. And they're specifically working on that strum from INXS' NEED YOU TONIGHT. 

The future is bright. Very bright.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

22 hours ago, Southside Jim said:

And yet these are the people who actually vote.

We're gonna be seeing a lot of new governors, mayors, etc. in November.

Do not overestimate how many people this actually is.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jaedmc said:

GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY

My neighbor is learning the ukulele. And they're specifically working on that strum from INXS' NEED YOU TONIGHT. 

The future is bright. Very bright.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I wonder how many people in that crowd thought Obama was going to invade Texas using abandoned Walmarts. 

Every single one.

We lost Dad on Wednesday.  I cried a lot before, but haven't since.  I am not okay, but I'm better than when I was watching him struggle to breathe.  I have almost called him 4 times since I got home Friday, just to tell him I am making his chili recipe or that I got home safely.  I think COVID is making it worse; there's currently a two week backlog for cremation in the DFW area, and we won't be able to have a memorial service til June at the earliest, so I was at home alone less than 48 hrs later with no family time and no opportunity to let him go. It just doesn't feel real, in a way that it immediately did with my mom.

• Sad 20

I'm sorry for your loss. Grief is an incredibly difficult thing to process and understand for anyone.

I dread those days coming soon for my family and eventually my parents. Longevity built-in genetically, but they're getting up there ever slowly.

• Thanks 2

We've made Fridays our "eat local" day since we're still working and can give back. We typically just wind up getting takeout from our favorite brewery that we're mug club members at. I didn't find out about this until this morning, but our brewery is giving folks homemade hand sanitizer from a local distillery whenever you get takeout. I love how the distilleries, locally owned restaurants, and locally owned breweries are always working together and this is another cool example of that.

• Like 2