DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

Internet is considered essential for communication, and TV essential for news and info, so they're not going away.  Most programming can be done remotely, Techs (like myself) are exempt to provide maintenance to keep internet/phones/TV up and running.

21 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

The baby boom after this shit is going to be wild.

I joked with my wife about the delicious irony that all the Millenials saying "okay boomer" will sire the Nu Baby Boomers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Monday night 8pm state of CT will be under a soft common sense lockdown "safe and sound" or something I forget what Governor Lamont is actually calling it.  Anyway,  it's just really weird because most people don't seem to have common sense at all. Outside of restaurants and bars being closed down you don't notice people taking this seriously yet which is unfortunate.  I hope they get the picture sooner than later.  

On Monday I will be receiving a letter and business card that says I am essential staff and am allowed on the roads 24/7.  I don't know how they will enforce this with most people but Lamont did mention fines.  

1 hour ago, Mike Campbell said:

My part time side gig at the grocery store, which I took on to help cover my wife's medical bills after she had surgery last year, is rapidly becoming a mini full time gig. But, they gave us all temporary $2/hr raises, until this settles down.

That's awesome!

DoD has issued mandatory telework for my organization.  Staff isn't even allowed in the building unless it's cleared by the director.

I'm actually in a VMWare class all this week at New Horizons in Richmond paid for by my career path proponency organization.  I could've taken the class at home but I needed the ritual of leaving in the morning "for work."

• Like 1

What a fucking year. Glad to be back in the land of the internet enabled. And not consistently tired.

So i left the high paying job in London after six months - got the job done but the office was fucking toxic. The boss wasn't a nice person but I left on decent terms with the rest of the team. I got a surprising message early last year to say that the boss was incredibly guilty about the whole situation and was being told by her boss to get shot of me as he didnt like me. Then she got the same treatment from him. Swings and roundabouts, eh. 

I got a job about five minutes from home as a supervisor to a wholesaler delivery dept. Fine - closer to home, able to spend more time with my wife and daughter. LOLOLOLOLOLFUCKNO. Turns out they would want unpaid overtime, extra hours, waiting alone in the depot while drivers (agency) would be out driving and taking the piss. Some weeks I worked 60 + hours while only being paid 42.5

So l left there in february and have been job hunting since - I've got enough in the bank to keep me until may, but after that I'm fucked unless i go stack shelves. Not helped by the corona shoite in the world atm, but needs must. Delivery driver for a takeaway or a shelf stocker sems the best ideas for now. As long as noone coughs on me.

So, hows tricks with all of you lovely motherfuckers?

• Like 3

Well, despite my state declaring a state of emergency, my work is going continue to be open.  But due to my mom and her boyfriend's ages and medical histories, I've decided I'm calling out until they come up with a work at home solution.  To be honest, what they are paying me, I'm not getting at risk to go in to an office when every other company in the building is closed and on top of it, the company we are supporting for HR purposes (I do benefits, mainly medical/dental enrollments) is having all their people work from home.  I'm sitting on 80 hrs of rolled over sick time that I don't get cashed out on if they let me go, so I'm putting on them to figure this shit out and will cash out that time.  I joked with my co-worker that their disaster recovery plan was that they were hoping we got quarantined in the office so we could just work the whole time.  My company apparently never closes, their DR for blizzards and hurricanes was to put up people in the hotel across the street and have them walk over to work.  May work well on a snow storm, but no so good in an pandemic.

In the mean time, I will probably start catching up on all the stuff I usually put off for him home since I'm normally birding on my free time and probably re-evaluate a bunch of stuff in my life.

Stay at home order hits Michigan tonight. But my job is technically considered essential, so I guess I'll still get out some. Although we've been doing such little business I've already been losing hours by the truck load last week.

I'm not one for going out too often anyway, but... Well, it's the right thing to do. Hopefully I don't go too crazy.

Yeah, stay at home was just issued for Wisconsin as well.  I might still be going to work depending on if they consider construction to be an essential industry.

All I know is if the weed man doesn't come through today it's going to be a long couple of weeks.

19 minutes ago, King Leonidas Of Sparta said:

The Underground in London is still rammed with people going to work, it's almost like they didn't even look at news reports from NY 10 days ago. Good luck everyone!

Seems to be the cycle everywhere. "Oh it's terrible what's happening over there. Good thing we're... Wait, what now?"

Stay at home order begins in Indiana on Wednesday through April 7. Kids are still expected back in school May 1 to finish up the school year, but all standardized testing has been cancelled (fucking finally, only took a pandemic to make that happen).

I just got back from the store and it wasn't too bad. Everyone was pretty chill. I picked up stuff to make bbq pork, italian beef, bean soup, some lunch stuff, and stuff to last us about a couple weeks.

Same here.  Stay at home order issued for WV beginning tomorrow, but my industry is considered essential so I can still go to work if I choose.  I can work from home, but there's not a huge risk working (all but two or three people are working from home and our offices get scrubbed at night).  Our hillbilly governor shut down travel, but made sure to tell us he was leaving streams open so we could fish.  If we can get there.  I kinda want him to close a stream just to see how he shut down waterways.

As rapidly as things are falling apart, I kinda wonder if I'll ever be allowed out of my house again.  Or see my brother and his kids in person (they live in town, but about 30 min away).

I'm not even afraid of coronavirus.  I'm afraid of world economy collapsing (which would take banks and everyone's fdic-insured money with it) and the supply chain breaking down.  We're basically good for food and the all-important tp for a month or more, but I don't even want to think about the situation after that).

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

The stay at home order is pointless anyways. It doesn't prevent anyone from doing what they were already doing. Everything that isn't a grocery store or hardware store or appliance store is fucking closed anyway. And restaurants, but they can only do take out or delivery. Grocery stores have already adjusted their hours. At least Meijer has. Instead of being open 24 hours they're now only open until 10 pm, which is good. Who knows about Walmart.

17 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Grocery stores have already adjusted their hours. At least Meijer has. Instead of being open 24 hours they're now only open until 10 pm, which is good. Who knows about Walmart.

Honestly, this is the one part of the changes that I just don't understand.

Why the hell would you lower 24-hour grocery stores to having business hours in a pandemic situation where you need to practice social distancing? Shouldn't it be more of a premium right now to say "fuck this, I'm going grocery shopping at 3 in the morning so I can try and have as few other people in the store as humanly possible?"

13 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Why the hell would you lower 24-hour grocery stores to having business hours in a pandemic situation where you need to practice social distancing? Shouldn't it be more of a premium right now to say "fuck this, I'm going grocery shopping at 3 in the morning so I can try and have as few other people in the store as humanly possible?"

Overnight is the prime stocking time for them, but they can’t get anything done if it’s just as busy then as it is during the day.  They were getting clobbered by people coming in late to beat the daytime rushes, and there’s no point of anyone risking going out for necessities if they get there and the products aren’t on the shelves.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

The official reason is  that the stores need extra time to clean and restock shelves.

Edit: didn't read (BP)'s post till after I posted.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

The stay at home order is pointless anyways. It doesn't prevent anyone from doing what they were already doing. Everything that isn't a grocery store or hardware store or appliance store is fucking closed anyway. And restaurants, but they can only do take out or delivery. Grocery stores have already adjusted their hours. At least Meijer has. Instead of being open 24 hours they're now only open until 10 pm, which is good. Who knows about Walmart.

Over here they are closing at 8:30 PM.

I'm under orders to clear out all the beer from the fridge.  As a result I'm sitting on the back deck, watching my 5 year old run around while I'm enjoying a pale ale and dealing with my backlog of emails.  Nice change from the usual work atmosphere, in some ways at least.  

We're apparently going shelter in place starting tomorrow, though in actuality I only left the house twice all last week.