DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

I had a job interview before and the lady was asking about my educational background so then she flat out asked me "which party do you support?" and I told her I wasn't going to answer that question and I ended the interview shortly after. Luckily, my current place of work wouldn't dare ask me that. 

• Like 4

American culture question.

Was watching Samantha Bee like a few months ago. Wife mentioned she liked the bedspread in the background. Found it on Amazon, ordered it. 

Was doing some research on it afterwards - found out that the Hudsons Bay blankets are supposed to be considered racist because they were used to spread smallpox to native Americans in the 1700s. 

Of all the weeks for it to arrive. I'm pretty sure I heard the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme when I opened it.

Just to confirm though - this is a legit thing yeah and the possibly wokest show on TV sold me up the river?

Hudson's Bay was the British and then Canadian fur trading company/government turned into a department store chain across Canada. Not sure it has any reach in America. Maybe in Buffalo/Detroit? But no, I don't think it was those blankets used by colonials, at least not to my knowledge. Instead they were used to trade in for pelts, which drove animals to extinction or close to it. WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT. They are nice blankets though...

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Hudson's Bay was the British and then Canadian fur trading company/government turned into a department store chain across Canada. Not sure it has any reach in America. Maybe in Buffalo/Detroit? But no, I don't think it was those blankets used by colonials, at least not to my knowledge. Instead they were used to trade in for pelts, which drove animals to extinction or close to it. WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT. They are nice blankets though...

Slight upgrade. 

Hudson's Bay's reach in America - at least when I was growing up - was if you bought from Eddie Bauer or LL Bean (which my family did) you suddenly were getting their catalogs in the mail too (ie: someone bought the mailing list)

Now with the internet - all bets are off

The smallpox blankets thing is one of those persistent annoying tropes that can't be confirmed or denied as it is rooted in many historical coincidences.  The only known instance of the deliberate weaponization of smallpox occurred during the Seven Years War IIRC when the British at Ft Pitt deliberately spread the disease amongst Native American populations.

It would've been stupid for Hudson Bay to purposefully infect Native Americans with smallpox given that they did a brisk trade with them in fur and Hudson Bay also had a solid market for their goods with the Native Americans.

As Oyaji said, Hudson Bay's worst offense was the overtrapping of fur bearing species leading to their near extinction.  The term "fur desert" was coined to describe how bad things had gotten.

I don't think you are supporting racists by purchasing a Hudson Bay blanket, but PETA might show up and throw red paint on your car.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I don't think you are supporting racists by purchasing a Hudson Bay blanket, but PETA might show up and throw red paint on your car.

That before or after they kill a shelter full of dogs?

• Like 1

Probably while they're doing it. Also before and after and they'll also compare you to the holocaust for drinking milk.

6 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Probably while they're doing it. Also before and after and they'll also compare you to the holocaust for drinking milk.

But milk is good for you and burgers are tasty.  I guess that makes me a horrible person.

• Like 6

Two random musics on whatever fresh hell is going on today:

Trump wants very badly to pull the Republican Convention out of North Carolina after the state's governor declined to commit to being able to host an arena full of people in a few months.  What are the odds that the convention (all all the money spent, naturally!) somehow ends up at Mar A Lago or another Trump property?

Fearless Leader is also threatening to send in the military to quell protests.  What, literally, does this manchild think they're going to do?  Roll tanks?  Shoot people?  Honestly, due to the actual rules of engagement they have to follow, and the fact that the military is trained to deescalate in a non-warzone situation, I would like them there instead of the police.

• Like 3

The Insurrection Act of 1807 empowers the President to mobilize US military forces if civil disorder gets out of hand as was the case in the riots of '92.  However, the Posse Comitatus act prevents the Army and the Air Force from being instruments of enforcing domestic policy.  The Navy was excluded from PC, but there is an agreement that they will take the same posture that the Army will.

It is feasible that the President could use federal troops (most likely the National Guard and maybe 1st Marine) to quell rampant lawlessness, but it would be illegal for them to prevent lawful and peaceful demonstration.

I paid attention in yesterday during our garrison commander's virtual town hall.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Fearless Leader is also threatening to send in the military to quell protests.  What, literally, does this manchild think they're going to do?  Roll tanks?  Shoot people?  

Yes to both.  Or at least he wants em to.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The Insurrection Act of 1807 empowers the President to mobilize US military forces if civil disorder gets out of hand as was the case in the riots of '92.  However, the Posse Comitatus act prevents the Army and the Air Force from being instruments of enforcing domestic policy.  The Navy was excluded from PC, but there is an agreement that they will take the same posture that the Army will.

It is feasible that the President could use federal troops (most likely the National Guard and maybe 1st Marine) to quell rampant lawlessness, but it would be illegal for them to prevent lawful and peaceful demonstration.

I paid attention in yesterday during our garrison commander's virtual town hall.

You also had the chairman of the Joint Chiefs out in fatigues for a campaign ad so I'm real skeptical that the laws are going to save us.

• Like 1

I'm pretty amazed at the mental gymnastics I'm seeing from certain people in this country who are somehow okay with the idea of military force against these protesters but otherwise have a Facebook page full of anti-government memes, deep state conspiracy, and Gadsden flags.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

I'm pretty amazed at the mental gymnastics I'm seeing from certain people in this country who are somehow okay with the idea of military force against these protesters but otherwise have a Facebook page full of anti-government memes, deep state conspiracy, and Gadsden flags.

"Hahaha, noooo, we didn't mean for those people"

I bought this shirt (from DVDVR alum K Thor Jensen) and I get some real cross looks when I wear it out.

3004861_0.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

On a different note, I'm finishing up my third cross country drive for work within the last 365 days. I've now seen every goddamn state in the lower 48 over the course of the last two years. You know what's one weird thing that every single one of them has in common? Dead deer, fucking everywhere. It's pretty amazing actually, I've seen quite a lot of different roadkill that we don't have back home in New England, but no matter where I go I see Bambi's mom laying on the side of the road.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Execproducer said:

I wonder if there is roadkill that is specific to each state. For example, we lived in Florida for a few years when I was a child and you couldn't throw a rock without hitting a crushed armadillo.

First time I saw armadillo roadkill was in Oklahoma, and then a whole bunch into Arkansas. 

I saw a dead wolf in Montana, that was wild.

5 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

On a different note, I'm finishing up my third cross country drive for work within the last 365 days. I've now seen every goddamn state in the lower 48 over the course of the last two years. You know what's one weird thing that every single one of them has in common? Dead deer, fucking everywhere. It's pretty amazing actually, I've seen quite a lot of different roadkill that we don't have back home in New England, but no matter where I go I see Bambi's mom laying on the side of the road.

So what's the weirdest thing you've seen as roadkill or running across the road?  My personal weirdest is a monkey.  Outside of Dilley, Texas at about 6 in the morning.

• Haha 3

I'd say weirdest is a wild hog, just cuz he don't expect that. Armadillo, the first time, threw me off. But then I saw that apparently it's pretty common down there, like squirrels up in my home area.

1 minute ago, Robert C said:

So what's the weirdest thing you've seen as roadkill or running across the road?  My personal weirdest is a monkey.  Outside of Dilley, Texas at about 6 in the morning.

Not me, but my brother saw a kangaroo while driving truck in Wisconsin.

• Like 2

Just now, Technico Support said:

I missed the "while" the first time I read that, making the sentence about 36 times more awesome.

The followup to the story is that the kangaroo made the news when animal control got it and one of the other drivers was like "oh yeah, that belongs to my neighbor, but he's not supposed to have it."

• Haha 2