DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

10 hours ago, Control said:

Assuming 30 million are on EI and thus have reduced/no access to health insurance, economic issues are probably gonna (indirectly) kill that many or more people, sure.

"Assuming"
"Probably"
"Indirectly"
"Sure"

What a great bunch of smoking gun examples! My mistake, please continue to push this destructive false narrative

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

"Assuming"
"Probably"
"Indirectly"
"Sure"

What a great bunch of smoking gun examples! My mistake, please continue to push this destructive false narrative

Oh, I think reopening your country prematurely would be disastrous—much worse than the costs of the economic downturn. I just wouldn’t be so cavalier about pooh-poohing the lethality of a recession or depression in a country with a ruthlessly mercenary healthcare system.

Also...you realize those four words aren’t a bunch of “examples,” right?

Yes?

I don't think you're actually disagreeing with me. I wasn't saying a recession couldn't possibly kill anyone. I was saying that comparing those numbers (which so far, AFAIK, is just one number and that number is zero) with the virus's death toll, as one poster keeps doing, is asinine. The narrative is part of an overall movement to reopen the country that will needlessly kill tens of thousands more. I'm tired of hearing it.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Most of us are tired of you deciding what we can and can't care and be worried about, yet here we are.

Oh, did you take a poll? You can worry about whatever ridiculous thing you like. When the line gets crossed into misinformation, I'm going to speak up and correct it.

• Thanks 1

I don't think anyone thinks Tarheel is informing us of anything. He's stated it's a fear he has. He's hasn't provided actual information so he isn't spreading MISinformation. I feel like all of us know this, but maybe not. But I think it's a reasonable fear that apparently a lot of people are struggling to balance. Fear of being unable to financially support yourself vs. fear of getting people sick. And it's even harder to balance that fear based on how and where you get your information. It's not these people's fault.

New York Times has a piece on the global hunger crisis that they fear as around the corner because of the economic disruption caused by the virus.: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/22/world/africa/coronavirus-hunger-crisis.html

And for something more local to America there's another piece on the struggle hitting food pantries as more and more people are lining up for them.: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/08/business/economy/coronavirus-food-banks.html

There's lots of stories like this. And if you google "coronavirus great depression" you'll see plenty of headlines linking the two events and prognosticating that this is already the worse event. Domestic violence rates are going up as well as suicides. The media is putting it out there and to say the fear is completely unfounded is disingenuous.

Anecdotally, I am in a position where I can sit at home. My wife has a job where she can work from home and we're all good. But my job is gone. And many of my friends who have the same job now have nothing and they don't have a sugar mama to keep them afloat. I fear for them. However I don't think we should reopen Chicago. Not now not yet, because we still have to get a handle on this. I don't know if I'm right. I probably won't know if I was right until a long time after this is over. Truthfully I don't think it really matters what I think about the subject.

Some people who post on this board are voicing their fears and they should be ALLOWED to do that. And I believe that instead of shaming them as idiots or trolls, we should reach out in a positive way. It seems like it's really hard for us to find sympathy for others when they don't think they same way we do. I don't think many people are built for times of crisis. I don't even know if I am, because my life certainly isn't in one. But I'm not going to look at people with a cynical eye because they have panic or anxiety over a world changing event that is unprecedented in their life time. 

I'm not angry at Morelock for being upset. You're allowed to be upset. But this crusade, and this goes for everyone, to police some people's feelings because you find them unreasonable will have to end here. Take a couple weeks off and find something you enjoy.

• Like 8

The reason I don't take these protests seriously and mind you this is just what I've seen in my own area but a lot of the people protesting the lockdown and social distancing guidelines across this state are the exact people who will bash the government if things were to open too quickly and Covid-19 starts spreading rapidly again. 

That's not to say there aren't many other people who have valid points.  There's no winners here.  I'm actually quite proud that so many government officials have taken this seriously and placed the health and well being of everyone in front of economics. 

The country does, however,  need to get back to work at some point, no doubt.  I'm lucky enough to still be working (some days I don't feel lucky, I feel panicked but that's another story) but so many people I know are completely screwed right now..   

Open up the economy but do it when it's safe, don't rush,  take extra precaution and if you think you've taken extra precaution then take more.  

• Like 2

We just started opening up public (provincial and municipal) parks. The idea is to wait and see what happens, then phase in more services. I’m glad they’re not rushing things, but I think closing down things like hiking trails was a mistake to begin with.

Well, McKinley County is now the hotspot in New Mexico, with over 3,000 cases in a County of about 12,000 people. Why? Mainly because we have stupid assholes going on about their business as though the virus doesn't exist... No masks, gloves, etc. drunks clustered together passing the bottle around. We're being very careful and making a detailed list when Kathy has to run to the store. I'm 90% homebound anyway, so I really haven't had much of a lifestyle change other than friends and family figuring out "Let's hang out at John & Kathy's place, they're always home!" I do get a bit tired of the unannounced drop-ins by people who can't seem to wrap their heads around the idea that writing and editing is a real job and if I'm sitting at the computer with a couple of reference volumes on my work table and several tabs open on the Internet I am busy and not in a position to provide entertainment. If you're having a hard time amusing yourself, allow me to suggest a hooker and an eight-ball and leave me the fuck alone until 3:00 PM which is my next scheduled break. ?

As far as the histrionics being displayed in this thread allow me to point out a couple of things:

1. You can be right or you can be kind. One feels good for a few minutes, the other may last a lifetime. 

2. I may be the oldest poster on this board or at least close to it, so let me point out that we (and by "we" I mean all of us human types regardless of location), anyway, "we" survived Nixon and we survived two terms of George W. Bush (a nice man, but terrible POTUS), we survived the AIDS epidemic and we will survive this. Chances are good that the healthcare system will change radically, probably finally getting in step with the rest of the world and having a true universal healthcare system developed. So at least one good thing will come of this, possibly more. 

Here we're shutting down the whole town at 5PM and during the day no one can enter or leave the town without providing proof that they really live here. Anyway, everybody stay safe and stay home as much as possible. Play electronic pinball or visit Vegas World for some on-line poker, or hell... Buy one of my books, they are really good if I do say so myself. ? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

allow me to suggest a hooker and an eight-ball and leave me the fuck alone

What use is a Hooker, if you have to stay 2 metres apart from them they whole time?

• Haha 5

If you think the economy being "closed" is gonna kill more people than coronavirus, your problem is more with the country's economic policies and less with having to close shit down so people don't spread infection and death. 

• Like 1

I'm going to change the subject because it's important that we don't continue down this road. It wasn't a call for submissions.

My wife, within the last few days, has decided she wants a pet rat.

A FUCKING RAT, YOU GUYS. 

I'm trying to fight her on it and she's just kind of blissfully ignoring me while watching youtube videos on how to care for your pet rat. So I'm fucked here.

My question to the board is how do you poison a rat without it showing up as rat poison? I need it to look natural.

• Haha 7

17 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I'm going to change the subject because it's important that we don't continue down this road. It wasn't a call for submissions.

I mean, dude, I tried doing this by asking for your advice when you mentioned what you were doing with your son ?

27 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

My wife, within the last few days, has decided she wants a pet rat.

A FUCKING RAT, YOU GUYS. 

I'm trying to fight her on it and she's just kind of blissfully ignoring me while watching youtube videos on how to care for your pet rat. So I'm fucked here.

My question to the board is how do you poison a rat without it showing up as rat poison? I need it to look natural.

A pet rat? Ugh. Nothing creeps me out quite like rats. My parents had one in their backyard like two years ago because there was demolition going on not far from our house. A trap didn't work, so we had to resort to poison. I read that rats can still spread disease even after death, so I set it on fire. I didn't use enough gasoline because there was still a charred carcass. Then, a buzzard flew down, scooped it up in its mouth, and flew off.

Personally, I'd fight my wife until my dying breath over the pet rat. Or get yourself a pet python named Damien.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Are you sure that's a real memory and not an early episode of Beavis and Butthead? ?

It may have been an early B&B, but it definitely happened to me. I was afraid to go outside because of this thing. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Craig H said:

Did you get him any software for keyboarding? I'm trying to think of getting my daughter something, but I'm not sure what would be best. She's turning 10 and is doing painfully slow hunt and peck for typing.

That's also how I wound up learning to type, but doing hunt and peck. I eventually got to the point where I just memorized the keyboard and I can type pretty fast that way. Like right now, I have my hands set at home row, but I'm mainly using my index fingers to type everything. I don't want her growing up learning a fucked up way to type like me.

Sorry missed this.

I just settled on typing.com.  Sign her up a free account. She gets trophies and stars for doing well keeps track of progress so there's clear carrots on sticks. And my son's speed has gone way up since using it.

• Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

I should state that I'm usually a cat-and-dog type, but rats are way more personable than most other rodents, shockingly clean and loving. 

I suppose the rat is because I hate dogs. I figured I'd made it home free. I tried to say we'd get an aquarium and fish, but we all know fish aren't actually pets. It's just their upkeep is just an interactive puzzle to solve. 

• Like 1