DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

I decided to supplement my older son's current education by having him work on keyboarding and coding. He's 12 so keyboarding is a must now. And he wants to make video games one day so I got him a book on coding with Python.

He started working on the Python book at the beginning of the quarantine.

Today he just made Pong. I just played it. Crazy.

Everything is awesome.

• Like 19

My whole street was standing vigil this afternoon. My next door-but-one neighbour died of Coronavirus at the start of the month, so we stood on the street for his funeral procession because having a large gathering at a funeral isn't essential work.

I didn't know him well, but I knew him. He was 81.

• Sad 11

One of the grocery stores near me (Giant) has arrows on the floor (maybe 1.5' x 1') to denote that aisles are one-way only, to at least keep people from crossing each other.  Every time I go there, some dumb fucks are going the wrong way.  Store staff has taken to making BIGGER arrows, the actual width of the aisle x 3 or 4 feet, with painter's tape.  We're a nation of bleach drinkers and arrow non-followers.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

They told us to tape out zones on the floor of the shop, to show everyone the correct distance to keep. Only the boss messed up and only did them five feet apart. We have no Tape Measure, so he just went by five floor tiles, and as it turns out they're a foot square. So I ripped those out and did them six and a half tiles apart instead. Which isn't actually two metres, because that's Six foot Seven, but it's a lot closer.

But, when nobody's there and you try to play the "Cross from one side to the other only by stepping on each line once" game, it's really difficult now. Five feet was easy, you didn't even need momentum.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Technico Support said:

One of the grocery stores near me (Giant) has arrows on the floor (maybe 1.5' x 1') to denote that aisles are one-way only, to at least keep people from crossing each other.  Every time I go there, some dumb fucks are going the wrong way.  Store staff has taken to making BIGGER arrows, the actual width of the aisle x 3 or 4 feet, with painter's tape.  We're a nation of bleach drinkers and arrow non-followers.

Oh yeah. 

I think those of us working retail are seeing it before everyone else, but there is a MASSIVE disconnect between most people and the horrors going on in emergency rooms.  You see that with all the Californians out on the beach this weekend and the blowback Gavin Newsom is getting, saying that live sports won't be back in California anytime soon, and people attacking de Blasio after he shut down that Jewish funeral yesterday.

If they try to do a second lockdown whenever this "second wave" hits, most Americans are going to tell their governors to fuck off.  Just look at Italy, where there is real anger at the government now as more and more people lack money to buy food.

At the end of the day, COVID-19 will bring out the worst in people.

• Sad 1

Our governor unexpectedly reversed course and is ending the "stay at home" order Monday.  He already started to open up the state slowly beginning this week.  Our state's been one of the least hit (1100 diagnosed cases, 40 deaths, just over 100 hospitalizations total), in part because our governor's been very proactive about locking us down.

Not sure how I feel about this.  Not comfortable with opening up the state.  On the other hand, I strongly feel like lockdowns are forcing us into a Great Super Depression of 2020 which will probably just kill most of us faster.  And quality of life is basically zero in lockdown, so....

Definitely feel we're getting past the mitigation stage into the just have to live with it stage.

Hopefully, we do get a vaccine later this year.  On the one hand, that'd be a miracle (the "record" for vaccines is the mumps vaccine, which took four years to develop). On the other hand, there's approx. 70 groups working on a vaccine and at least a couple of them have started human trials and hope to have approval later in Fall.  A group in Oxford is confident enough in their vaccine that they convinced one of the pharma companies to start manufacturing their vaccine beginning in May on the theory that it will work and they can have millions of doses already available when approval is given.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I strongly feel like lockdowns are forcing us into a Great Super Depression of 2020 which will probably just kill most of us faster.

Why do you keep repeating this? It's literally based on nothing. We heard your dumb wrong opinion the first time.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Why do you keep repeating this? It's literally based on nothing. We heard your dumb wrong opinion the first time.

It’s based on what I see daily in my job.  I work in financial services as an analyst.  Feel free to ignore me.  I’ll just stay out of this thread

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

On 4/30/2020 at 12:52 PM, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

I’ll just stay out of this thread

Why would you do that? You're entitled to your opinion. As someone who just officially lost his job today (after already sitting at home since mid-March) and is about to join the 30,000,000 other people that filed for unemployment benefits in the last six weeks, Great Super Depression doesn't feel far off the mark.  Lock-downs are a necessary evil but make no mistake, its wrecking lives.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Execproducer said:

Lock-downs are a necessary evil but make no mistake, its wrecking lives.

What it isn't doing is taking lives, which was my issue with his post, unless anyone can provide examples?

I'm guessing the amount of lives lost due to economic issues so far is substantially less than 65,000.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Assuming 30 million are on EI and thus have reduced/no access to health insurance, economic issues are probably gonna (indirectly) kill that many or more people, sure.

On 4/27/2020 at 5:46 PM, jaedmc said:

I decided to supplement my older son's current education by having him work on keyboarding and coding. He's 12 so keyboarding is a must now. And he wants to make video games one day so I got him a book on coding with Python.

He started working on the Python book at the beginning of the quarantine.

Today he just made Pong. I just played it. Crazy.

Everything is awesome.

Did you get him any software for keyboarding? I'm trying to think of getting my daughter something, but I'm not sure what would be best. She's turning 10 and is doing painfully slow hunt and peck for typing.

That's also how I wound up learning to type, but doing hunt and peck. I eventually got to the point where I just memorized the keyboard and I can type pretty fast that way. Like right now, I have my hands set at home row, but I'm mainly using my index fingers to type everything. I don't want her growing up learning a fucked up way to type like me.