DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

You wanna talk bleak? You wanna talk dark hour of the soul? Okay...

I just saw a man wearing boxer briefs as a face mask in Target. I thought I was losing my grip, but when I walked by him I could see the familiar Hanes logo waistband. I’m done for the day. Not recovering from this. 

A jockstrap would be more convenient. I may just do my part and help make it fashionable to save lives by jocksniffing. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

I should add, we’re talking completely covering his head, using a leg hole for the eyes, like he’s auditioning for a Sho Kusugi movie. 

I mean I was sitting here thinking he like re-purposed underwear into a mask, so that it kinda looks like  mask but on further inspection you realize it used to be underwear. 

So that detail changes everything.

• Like 1

I make a living by working directly with sports; to be a little more specific, for a major sport. It’s a high-stress job because of the volume of work, but that’s offset by it being interesting and cool, you know? And the job security is about as iron-clad as it can be... the only thing that would threaten that would be for said sport not to be played. And what are the odds of that happening, right? Right...

Yet, even with my livelihood being threatened, I don’t want to see my sport played unless everyone can be safe and healthy. I’d rather lose the best job I’ve had in a long career than see someone die to keep my bills paid.

tl;dr version: I’m incredibly stressed out, but I’m glad I’m not a monster.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

My favorite part of the Lansing protests today was the Confederate flags. In Michigan. A state so far north you can drive directly into Canada. A state that, when asked for soldiers for the union, proudly sent double the requested number.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

My favorite part of the Lansing protests today was the Confederate flags. In Michigan. A state so far north you can drive directly into Canada. A state that, when asked for soldiers for the union, proudly sent double the requested number.

That's just so weird,  not that I would want a Confederate flag unless the toilet paper shortages continue, but Michigan (and where I was raised, Washington) would have to be on my short list of places in the US where it would be difficult to get one...

In other news, McKinley County in general and the "City" of Gallup in particular is now considered a "hot spot" for the virus. The City Council held an emergency meeting to pass an ordinance limiting package stores to one bottle of spirits or wine and one twelve pack of beer with the idea presumably being that the local drunks (of which there are many) will not be getting so fucked up that they forget social distancing guidelines. This is about as sensible as the ordinance that forbids package stores from selling spirits to customers who are on foot. The idea there was to cut down on aggressive drunken panhandlers hurting the tourist trade, it of course being much more  sensible to sell intoxicants  to someone operating a potentially lethal piece of machinery. The first problem with this current legislation is that if someone wants to buy a couple of nice bottles of wine, they don't have a problem in the first place. 

I no longer drink, but I have friends that do, and if I'm going to entertain someone who is kind enough to come visit me here in Gallup, they are going to get a fantastic meal and I'll certainly be serving the appropriate beverages to go with whatever we make.. Kathy and I are both fantastic cooks, she's a lot better on side dishes and desserts than I am, on red meats we're pretty even. She wins on fish, I'll take on anyone when it comes to shellfish. Well now that we're a hot spot only one family member at a time allowed in the grocery stores. I'm not sure what the thinking behind that one was (Remember "Breaking Bad"? Yeah, there's a good deal of meth smoking goes on in these parts...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I see them in Wisconsin too...flying next to USA flags. I don't know what the hell that even means.

Can't help ya, all I know about Wisconsin is that it's damn cold in October and they serve fish 'n chips made with something called a "wall eye" that's really tasty. Oh, and at one time they had the greatest baseball team  in the world. I won''t drop any names, but their 3-4-5 hitters were named Mathews, Aaron, and Adcock...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Just have a look at the most recent  post in the 'Post an interesting picture' thread.

On the subject though, were any of the anti-lockdown protesters dumb enough to being an All Lives Matter sign? Because let's face it, that is who it is doing the protesting.

• Like 2

I know they were funded by an astroturf group that helps out the DeVos, but I'm not sure if any of it can be directly tied to their orders. I'm sure Erik Prince would have had them start shooting. Man, what a horrific group of people in that family before and after she married into it.

10 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

giphy.gif

You sure you want to keep Alaska? Here's one of my favorite comedy bits about Florida in general. NOT safe for work. I apologize to anyone who loves Florida or Maine. Actually, I don't, you deserve what you get.

• Haha 2

I think there was thousands for this one actually. Lots of people who really don't care that most of the people dying in Michigan are black I presume.

Edited by Ryan

On 4/16/2020 at 2:24 PM, (BP) said:

You wanna talk bleak? You wanna talk dark hour of the soul? Okay...

I just saw a man wearing boxer briefs as a face mask in Target. I thought I was losing my grip, but when I walked by him I could see the familiar Hanes logo waistband. I’m done for the day. Not recovering from this. 

I've been going with a bandana, John Marston/Arthur Morgan style, since it became required in my county (and now my whole state).  I did briefly consider T-shirt Ninja style.

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

When I briefly lived in a rural Maryland town (east of Frederick), I saw a truck with a huge Conferedate flag on it.  That was one of the things that sealed the deal with me really deciding to leave there.  Anyway, my point is that in my experience, it's not North/South as much as it is urban/rural.  We got hillbillies everywhere. 

• Like 1

Oh, believe me I know. I'm from a town of about 700. One dumbass in my graduating class had a Confederate flag decal that covered the entire rear window of his pickup. Just fucking insane.

• Sad 2

They finally approved us for hazard bonuses at work that’ll run until the end of May. I’m shocked; it appeared that all I was getting was a seemingly used face mask (it looked like there was dried spittle on the inside) and two dozen food prep gloves (I don’t prep food and they’d tear apart within minutes of doing my actual work.)

• Like 1