DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

So my sister-in-law was on social media discussing how her kids are basically not doing any of their distance learning assignment - with her blessing.  Apparently, she's getting multiple emails from teachers pointing out that the kids have yet to turn in any work or log into a single online lecture.

Her rationale, in part, is that things are weird right now.  The other part of her rationale is that she works 50 hours a week from home (not due to coronavirus; she's been working from home for several years now) and "doesn't have time to be a teacher too.".  Apparently, it's a good day if the kids don't fight each other and distract her while she's working.

I kinda feel like this attitude explains a lot about her kids, who I basically regard as feral.

I know a lot of people who either just can't cope with their kids distance learning or just have taken the attitude that education doesn't matter in a pandemic.  Wonder how many of these people went apeshit last year when the teacher's union in the state went on strike over benefits.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Sad 3

On 4/10/2020 at 11:30 AM, elizium said:

This is apropos of nothing, but growing up we got TV from Grand Forks and I cannot see or hear the word "Menards" without hearing the jingle.

Sometimes I don't even have to see the word, the jingle just pops into my head.

I'm pretty sure that the Menard's ads and the Paradiso commercials with the guy saying "Chips are free. . .dinner extra" were 75% of the commercials on network TV when I was growing up.

On 4/10/2020 at 3:12 AM, The Man Known as Dan said:

I dealt with a guy today who spent 40 minutes trying to decide what deck umbrella he wanted and I wanted to head butt a wall.

Also, I’m the stores flooring expert. Who the fuck needs to put down new flooring in the middle of a worldwide pandemic you might ask? Apparently a lot of people.

Hell, if I owned my own home and didn't have a hell of a lot to do for a few weeks, I'd probably check something like that off the list.

Well I'm confused.  Last year when I did my taxes I chose the turbotax prepaid card option for some reason,  I can't even remember why.  This year I did my taxes the way I always do linking my checking account.  So now I don't know if the government will be sending this stimulus check to my checking direct deposit or if they are going to use this dumb prepaid card that is linked to I believe green dot and I don't even have that card anymore. 

That's great. Also,  Turbotax was not helpful when I inquired. Think I'll be doing H&R again next year. 

I don't get how this 1 time payment is going to help all those bartenders and waiters that are fucking broke and pissed right now.  They should just come out and do that Miracleman "Come summer, money won't exist... But then, it never did" thing.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Well I'm confused.  Last year when I did my taxes I chose the turbotax prepaid card option for some reason,  I can't even remember why.  This year I did my taxes the way I always do linking my checking account.  So now I don't know if the government will be sending this stimulus check to my checking direct deposit or if they are going to use this dumb prepaid card that is linked to I believe green dot and I don't even have that card anymore. 

That's great. Also,  Turbotax was not helpful when I inquired. Think I'll be doing H&R again next year. 

If your 2019 taxes are filed then that’s what the IRS goes off of. They only look at the 2018 return if you haven’t done taxes this year yet. But even then, I’m pretty sure they have a tool online now to enter your bank account and whatnot.

28 minutes ago, Casey said:

If your 2019 taxes are filed then that’s what the IRS goes off of. They only look at the 2018 return if you haven’t done taxes this year yet. But even then, I’m pretty sure they have a tool online now to enter your bank account and whatnot.

but what if I had just filed in late March?

Hmm, nothing from the orange shit-gibbon yet, but the CEO at the job I quit after they announced that they weren't going to be paying my regular stipend  in February  has started being really nice to me, even going so far as to send me $500 out of the clear blue. Perhaps it occurred to them that the editor of the leading review publication in the genre isn't someone that you want pissed off at you if you are a book publisher. ? 

Oddly enough they seem to have changed their core policy from "no more books that we have to pay royalties on" (which effectively killed off my imprint as 90% of what I did required a royalty payment, just as 90% of what I did made a profit, which is more than can be said for all the Public Domain stuff they published. They were fussing about having to cut a check for $200 in royalties for a collection of weird menace stories by Arthur J. Burks. The fact that we had to pay out $200 means that after costs we made $1750.00, now figure that they did the same on another half-dozen titles in Q4  or around  $12,250.00 of which I saw $600.00 and our art director / sales manager / backbone of the company got around $1800.00, I'd have to say they are doing okay since I was just adding the new releases for Q4 and there are still 400 titles available for ordering that earn $15 on trade paperbacks and $20 on hardcovers thus onesies and twosies from the stock list add up to real money pretty quickly...  Considering that there are only two places that publicize their products other than their own website and really only three or four shows a year where the books are on display,, and I edit the only print media that discusses/reviews their products (or not, should I be in a bad mood), I guess  it makes a good deal of sense to be nice to me. ? 

The $500 came at a most oportune time as I was just going to take a stab at Joe Abercrombie's new series and I find that there's a related series that serves as a prequel of sorts that runs to seven or eight volumes. Fortunately they did a 10th Aniversary  Edition of the first three books in the series that I was able to get  for around seventy bucks total. You don't even want to know what the true first editions sell for... Suffice it say that for that kind of money I expect the author to come to my house and prepare a lobster dinner followed by a blow-job. And as I suspect that Mrs. OSJ might not approve of the latter activity, getting a great deal on the Aniversay Edition makes everyione happy...

And in more good news, as they've suspended filming of The Walking Dead, there is no new episode tonight, so I can read James Blaylock's new steampunk novel without having to listen to a recap of The Walking Dead. I love Kathy dearly, but she has yet to figure out that the reason that I stopped watching the show isn't because I am so busy on Sunday evenings but rather that after several seasons of shitty writing the series finally caused me to say the  nine deadly words, (which for newbies can be applied to film, tv, or literature and are: "I don't give a fuck what happens to these people."  Anyway, off to read me some Blaylock (which I already know to be good, anyone familiar with Joe Abercrombie, please let me know what you thought, since in typical Pelan fashion I ordered a shit-load of his books without having reads a single word of his stuff (granted the person recommending him has spent several thousand dollars out of his own pocket to publish some of his work, so I take his opinion pretty seriously), but other viewpoints are certainly of interest to me.

• Like 5

On 4/11/2020 at 1:51 PM, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

So my sister-in-law was on social media discussing how her kids are basically not doing any of their distance learning assignment - with her blessing.  Apparently, she's getting multiple emails from teachers pointing out that the kids have yet to turn in any work or log into a single online lecture.

Her rationale, in part, is that things are weird right now.  The other part of her rationale is that she works 50 hours a week from home (not due to coronavirus; she's been working from home for several years now) and "doesn't have time to be a teacher too.".  Apparently, it's a good day if the kids don't fight each other and distract her while she's working.

I kinda feel like this attitude explains a lot about her kids, who I basically regard as feral.

I know a lot of people who either just can't cope with their kids distance learning or just have taken the attitude that education doesn't matter in a pandemic.  Wonder how many of these people went apeshit last year when the teacher's union in the state went on strike over benefits.

I've seen a ton of people saying similar things or "forgive yourself if you can't get your kids to do a hour of school work" and the like. 

On 4/11/2020 at 12:03 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Hand sanitizer, various cleaning supplies. Allegedly, at least at some stores, prices more than doubled over night when the big runs on stuff started.

Honestly, this is the problem with the gouging laws as well- because we're also seeing from the big runs that letting the store gouge a little bit can hopefully prevent gouging on the secondary market.

Yes, it's a bad thing for hand sanitizer to go from "2 bucks for a small bottle" to "6 bucks for a small bottle", or toilet paper to go from "15 bucks for a 20 pack" to "40 bucks for a 20 pack", etc...then keep the price at the low amount, have scalpers show up and buy the whole stock- then go outside the store and say "give me your car, your house, and ten minutes with your wife and daughter, and I'll give you one bottle of hand sanitizer. Oh, you don't want to? Suit yourself...guess you just killed your family and I'll get all of that when you die anyway. Oh, I didn't tell you I had the sniffles today...oh, no matter. If you had hand sanitizer, you'd probably be fine...but no, don't bother paying. Let them all get it."

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 4:51 PM, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

My neighbor was on the phone while I was tending to the front yard and she had similar issues with distance learning.  But she also pointed out that while they do it it's a pain because on top of being a busy parent and working still she now has to go online and do something she never had to do before.  She mentioned to whoever that if parents don't have reliable network connection or if they just don't know how to do this then they're going to have major problems.  Which I believe to be true because a lot people we support are great on the clinical side and using computers at the office.  But setting up remote access is like learning trigonometry for a lot of them.  Not intending to belittle them, it's just how it is.  It's like me being good with computers but no way can I learn how to do surgery or something.  But regarding your last paragraph I hope that a lot of people still think that education matters even in a pandemic.  But if it's tough for them cope with it then I fully sympathize with them.

As for Menards I don't have that here but Redners is a market by me that has been price gouging on these products for at least a month.  They're small enough that nobody will really notice or care so if that's people's only option then they're unfortunately going to have to pay for it.

I teach social studies on a reservation, Native run school, and just getting some of the Jr. High kids to settle down in class can be a real challenge. Plus they do not like to read and write(doesn't mean they can't, necessarily, although they tend to lag behind; they just won't for me) so response to my packets has been minimal. We have to do packets because most of my students don't have internet access. We have a 1 hr time frame for zoom for me to answer questions, but few have attended, but passwords were an issue so this week might be better. Its just been rough. On the plus side my grad school is almost over. I'm done with student teaching(still have to upload it, then apply for certification, though) and have three or four assignments for my other class, so nothing big. Its a wonder that I'm as sane as I am given how crazy my classes are at school, and taking 9 grad credits(with most of them being student teaching) and the virus on top of it. Pocatello is a better place to ride this puppy out that most of you guys have it. I know I'm lucky. . .

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

I teach social studies on a reservation, Native run school, and just getting some of the Jr. High kids to settle down in class can be a real challenge.

What's your school district's expulsion policy like?  Sounds like some of those kids would be better off in alternative schools.

I left my last middle school and transferred to teaching high school three years ago after our new principal forbid us from sending problem students to the office to be disciplined.

We've had a few expulsions . The office has been really supportive actually, but I am the third teacher this year, coming after an incredibly popular teacher(and basketball coach) went to work security out at the INL(or what ever they call that thing now; its the nuclear power plant ) and I was hired over the sub. Some students actually set a fire in his class about a week before I was hired. We have about 120 kids in the school, and about 25 percent actually give full effort everyday, another 50 percent don't care or can't do the work and 25 percent should just be thrown out. Plus I tried to crack down and take no shit(didn't work exactly, but I refuse to just lay down without a fight) but I was starting to build relationships just as the lock down happened. the reason I don't just somewhere else are varied, and another long post waiting to happen. . . .

• Like 1

I work at a court in Detroit. They still aren't checking temperatures when people come in. 4 People who have come in for work have tested positive that we know of 

My dad is hospitalized and waiting on his test to come back. He's on oxygen now. 

But hey, I get 1200 bucks in two days so all is well. 

• Sad 1

The storm than rolled through early Monday morning knocked out my power from 5:30am until 9pm yesterday. That sucked.

The UPS my DSL modem is on died after an hour. That REALLY sucked.

I'm going to get a smart phone after digging in my heels for years. With Mom declining, it's too stressful to be unable to check things. Also, so many of her doctors and stuff now do things through portal apps I can't run on my ancient iPod. 

• Sad 2