DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

14 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Checks for individuals under $75,000  are SUPPOSED to be arriving or starting to arrive on Monday but do you trust the government to run a project this big smoothly..

You mean direct deposits, right? Supposedly the physical checks for people that won't/haven't/aren't going to provide the IRS with their bank details will be the last ones to get this.

I love that this is a one-time payment, too. We've got to pass another massive spending bill to get another check, I guess. Out of that $2 trillion, I think the American people only saw something like $250 billion of it or something like that.

'Murica.

(No, I don't trust the government, R or D, to roll out a project like this, but it'd be great if it happened since I could use $1200)

Direct Deposit starts right now, allegedly. Checks in a couple weeks, with people who made the least getting checks first. People at the top of the range that don't have direct deposit won't see the check until September, according to the plan.

Maybe I’m biased, but this is a dumb rant I need to go on. 

I work retail at Menards, which if you don’t live in the Midwest, is sorta like Home Depot meets Walmart. Mostly a hardware store, but with a 15 isle grocery section. Big ass store, with tons of stuff in it. We are considered essential, due to us selling food, lumber, cleaning supplies, water, and what have you. So I’m working through this, and I don’t really have a problem with that, per say. They even bumped up pay on weekdays 2 bucks an hour, so yay to that, etc.

My mother, who I share a house with, works at Kohls. Kohl’s shutdown, cause obviously, and are letting there employees get unemployment and all that jazz. She is getting 850 dollars in unemployment. And I have zero problem with that total. I completely get it. But it’s kind of frustrating when I’m being told I’m “essential” enough to have to go to work 40 hours dealing with people who aren’t taking the health risks seriously, to make 600 dollars while the other member of the house is being paid 850 to stay home. My problem isn’t the pay for the unemployed, it just feels like if we are being labeled as essential workers during a fucking pandemic, we should be getting as much as the people are getting to not work. Every shift I work I’m worried some asshole is gonna get me sick, and I’m going to take it home to my mother, who is in her early 60’s. 

Like, I get I probably shouldn’t be complaining about having a job right now, but the pay discrepancy in combination with having no faith the company I work for gives a shit if we get sick (We can take sick leave at no stress, but it’s unpaid. Also, we ran with a 50 person in the store limit....  for one day, before the company seemed to decide that was costing them too much money), let alone our families, and I’m on edge. 

• Like 4

Well, the Menard's owner is rather insane if I recall and my father ventured out the other day to get the essential product known as MULCH from there, so you're doing GOD'S work. Probably a god of death in one of the pantheons.

7 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Well, the Menard's owner is rather insane if I recall and my father ventured out the other day to get the essential product known as MULCH from there, so you're doing GOD'S work. Probably a god of death in one of the pantheons.

I dealt with a guy today who spent 40 minutes trying to decide what deck umbrella he wanted and I wanted to head butt a wall.

Also, I’m the stores flooring expert. Who the fuck needs to put down new flooring in the middle of a worldwide pandemic you might ask? Apparently a lot of people.

57 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Direct Deposit starts right now, allegedly. Checks in a couple weeks, with people who made the least getting checks first. People at the top of the range that don't have direct deposit won't see the check until September, according to the plan.

Yeah direct deposit supposedly started on Thursday. I mean, I haven't gotten anything, and I'd be shocked if I did get anything from now until the 20th. I'm within the threshold for the payments, but, man... I just don't have faith in this. I'm waiting to be proven wrong.

The $1200 will come in the form of a free "artifact" from Hobby Lobby's recent ransacking of some poor country's history that you can proudly display.

• Haha 2

I'm still fighting the IRS to get them to pay back the money they owe me from 3 years ago, so I wouldn't hold my breath that they're gonna get their act together anytime soon.

Of course, we're still trying to get the department of defense to tell us how to pay them back the fucking 20000 dollars we owe them from breaking my wife's contract in October of 2000.  

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

I work retail at Menards, which if you don’t live in the Midwest, is sorta like Home Depot meets Walmart.

This is apropos of nothing, but growing up we got TV from Grand Forks and I cannot see or hear the word "Menards" without hearing the jingle.

Sometimes I don't even have to see the word, the jingle just pops into my head.

10 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

I dealt with a guy today who spent 40 minutes trying to decide what deck umbrella he wanted and I wanted to head butt a wall.

Also, I’m the stores flooring expert. Who the fuck needs to put down new flooring in the middle of a worldwide pandemic you might ask? Apparently a lot of people.

I need to put down new flooring. Other people probably do too.

That's the one thing I've seen a lot of in my neighborhood. There's a lot of people getting work done to their homes, whether if that's new windows, roofs, floors, etc. I get that people are very panicky and for good reason, but there are still a lot of contractors who need work and people still making money or retirees with money that need work done. I need new flooring for my main bathroom. Actually, new subfloor, underlayment, and vinyl plank flooring (fucking carpenter ants...). I'm at least going to do that myself, but I'm not thrilled with hauling all of that with a mask over my face that makes breathing difficult.

I also need new windows and we planned on getting new windows between April and May. For that, we're going with a local contractor to try to put money back into the community. If I did the windows myself we'd end up with water damage I'm sure.

And yes, going to the Mendards here, until recently you'd always hear "you save big money, you save big money, when you shop Menaaaaaards" over and over again. I'm sorry for your ears and brain.

• Like 1

Also, I appreciate people like you and anyone going in to work at home improvement stores or grocery stores or really anyone working with the public right now. Especially nurses. We're lucky that my wife is a manager now, but there's still a chance she'll have to run treatments for some people and many of the dialysis patients that come in have COVID. She's also losing people from her team left and right. Sadly, there's been too many nurses who have died in NY so two of her nurses are traveling to NY to run treatments, one of which is her good friend. And then a third nurse is going to Detroit. I mean, the nurses traveling will make somewhere between $5k and $10k a week, but there's a ton of risk that comes with that. 

• Like 1

You know what’s dumb? Being an essential worker for an automotive plant, when the only other bodies here are security guards.

I have to do inventory all weekend, and that’s it. Know what I’m going to do when I get that done in, like, 5 hours? Play Switch and watch Hulu.

So dumb. I’m grateful I haven’t been furloughed like the production/assembly workers, but... fuck. This is pointless.

• Like 2

I’m right there with ya, buddy. I turned down an overtime shift when all this hit the fan a few weeks ago, and from what I hear I was made fun of for it since I told them I wasn’t comfortable even working my shift right now, much less covering for someone else when there’s nobody at work to begin with (so the other guy should be okay to work alone - like I am this weekend!)

Good to hear you know some people that got their stimulus checks. Maybe this all isn’t bullshit after all.

I put in 10 hrs of ot this week because I basically got no place to go, so I've been dialing in early.  I guess it's good that job at the weed dispensary fell thru or I would have been essential staff, in a crowded room and having to handle people's id's all day.

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The state AG here has been investigating Menards for price gouging...

I wonder what they could be price gouging. Menards is cheaper than Home Depot and Lowes. Me and and I think everyone else I know who shops at these places typically regards Menards as the cheaper store, both in prices and in products.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I wonder what they could be price gouging. Menards is cheaper than Home Depot and Lowes. Me and and I think everyone else I know who shops at these places typically regards Menards as the cheaper store, both in prices and in products.

Hand sanitizer, various cleaning supplies. Allegedly, at least at some stores, prices more than doubled over night when the big runs on stuff started.

• Like 2