DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

2 minutes ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

What would improve my experience is you following the rules pertaining to politics and not sounding like a complete douchebag thinking you are a genius for using plebs in a sentence. 

You imagine I think I'm a genius because I used a word? Thanks for at least clarifying that this is a you problem. Any other monosyllabic terms you'd like me to preface with a trigger warning? 

And once again, if your concern is just the rules, the report button is right there. But it seems like you're more interested in personally telling me to knock it off than following the rules yourself. Which, fine, whatever, get it out of your system. No skin off my back. 

Guest The Magnificent 7
2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

You imagine I think I'm a genius because I used a word? Thanks for at least clarifying that this is a you problem. Any other monosyllabic terms you'd like me to preface with a trigger warning? 

And once again, if your concern is just the rules, the report button is right there. But it seems like you're more interested in personally telling me to knock it off than following the rules yourself. Which, fine, whatever, get it out of your system. No skin off my back. 

Ok

No coronavirus cases in our neighborhood yet, but two suicides since last Friday.  That seems like a lot.  Police were also called out to a neighbor two houses down for a rumored domestic violence call (they apparently didn't arrest him, so not sure what the story is).

So, yeah, lockdown is going really well in my neck of the woods.

• Sad 5

DV cases are way up during this because people are stuck with their abusers. Throw in people drinking more and likely being laid off and it's a very bad combo for irrational morons to be assholes.

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Today fucking sucks, from a standpoint of (insert topic we can't discuss here).

You have six months to get it out of your system.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Lots of people who would normally only prescribe bootstraps for any problems I may be experiencing are suddenly really empathetic when it's about trading lives because their investments took a hit. 

For most people who want to get back to work, it's more about the fact that we need to earn money to pay our fucking rent, buy groceries, and not have our cars (which we use to get to work) repossessed, not because we believe that people on foodstamps/welfare are lazy bums or something.

Believe me, I don't want anyone to die, but I have to balance that with my desire to NOT end up living in an alley and scrounging for food in dumpsters.

If you're willing to lose your home to prevent any deaths, than God bless you, because you are made of firmer moral fiber than I am.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Southside Jim said:

For most people who want to get back to work, it's more about the fact that we need to earn money to pay our fucking rent, buy groceries, and not have our cars (which we use to get to work) repossessed, not because we believe that people on foodstamps/welfare are lazy bums or something.

Believe me, I don't want anyone to die, but I have to balance that with my desire to NOT end up living in an alley and scrounging for food in dumpsters.

If you're willing to lose your home to prevent any deaths, than God bless you, because you are made of firmer moral fiber than I am.

21 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Move along.

Just asked for an extension on an appeal.  They granted it, but said for no more than 30 days, and no further extensions absent exceptional circumstances.  Yeah, I think we're in exceptional circumstances. 

Oh, by the way, my wife broke her foot too.  Jesus Christ, 2020, just stop. 

• Sad 2

The CERB has glaring holes, but I'll be damned if the Canadian federal government hasn't proven it knows how to shovel money out to people quickly if it's feeling motivated. 

I'll just make a note of that for when this all blows over...

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

In an unsurprising development, college students in our town are testing positive.  The university closed down and closed the dorms, but a lot of kids went on spring break and came back to their off-campus housing.  Fortunately, my niece isn't among this group.  Her roommates went on spring break, so my niece refused to be around them and moved back in with her parents before they got back.

Still don't have a lot of cases in my state (73 in the county, 500 in the state, 5 deaths - one of the lowest totals in the nation), but our hilbilly governor has been quick on the trigger to lock us down.  We're under more restrictive confinement than a lot of NY and CA.

I'm not really reassured that our governor - the man who is in charge of leading us out of this crisis - once said "I guess people are looking to me and the government for guidance.  I don't know why."

(He's not much of a public speaker.)

• Like 1

On 4/7/2020 at 3:34 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Yeah, as I said, didn't mean to come off as attacking you personally. Just have a burr in my ass about the topic to begin with.

Re: the economy, we're some degree of fucked anyway. Opening everything up aggressively and letting the bodies pile up will only exacerbate the problem in the long run. Our options are between shitty and shittier. 

"Millions must die so that billions can live!" - Adrian Veidt

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Getting ready for bed last night and my wife says to me "We must be doing great at social distancing because I feel completely cut off from almost everyone and everything I care about."

Cue an existential crisis that had me alternately pacing and staring at the ceiling for the next six hours.

And the wind knocked the power out for the second time in the past 10 days.  Yeah, I do not have patience for this right now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, OSJ said:

"Millions must die so that billions can live!" - Adrian Veidt

That reminds me of Kevin Sullivan telling Raven "some must die, so others can live" when Raven tried to get some wins for members of the Flock.

The needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many because I need a new yacht, brutha.

Edited by Ryan
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

The CERB has glaring holes, but I'll be damned if the Canadian federal government hasn't proven it knows how to shovel money out to people quickly if it's feeling motivated. 

I'll just make a note of that for when this all blows over...

No shit, I just got a cheque for $1000 yesterday plus another for $2000 today. That's not even including my EI benefits, for which I got an expedited approval. My anxiety over the next couple months has dropped considerably.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

And the wind knocked the power out for the second time in the past 10 days.  Yeah, I do not have patience for this right now.

Winds just kicked up here, and the UPS on the DSL line is old and only lasts a couple hours. I am giving the local power monopoly my best evil eye.