DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

20 hours ago, AxB said:

I agree, but for the opposite reason. Too easy. Great warm up, but where's the actual workout portion?

It is a decent warm up, but for someone who works out relatively little nowadays, it's a LOT of lower body/cardio stuff to fit into a half hour. A child's version of HIIT workout. 

16 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I have forced myself to get in the habit of getting dressed everyday as if I was going to the office.

Well except for shoes. I know some people are like "PUT YOUR SHOES ON!!! THEN YOU FEEL LIKE YOU ARE WORKING!!!"

Fuck that - I hate wearing shoes in the apartment.

Agreed! I wear shoes once every three months when I go to the doctor. Otherwise, barefoot or slippers. We have throw rugs for a reason.

5 hours ago, Tabe said:

This is what I've been doing.  In the past when working from home - which I've done hundreds of times, including 8 straight weeks in 2018 - I've worn whatever the heck I want.  Now, though, I'm wearing work clothes.  It sends a subtle reminder to the 3 other people living with me that I'm working not just farting around.  And my work actually had to send a message to people reminding them to not look like hobos when doing video conferencing.  Not surprising.  My first department meeting we held over Zoom (65-70 attendees), it took over 15 minutes before we finally got everybody's microphones muted.  We had people - on video, mind you - up walking around while talking on cell phones, people talking to their spouses, you name it.  Unbelievable.  Did I mention we're a tech company? 

That last line explains it all. Since it's a tech company, I'm actually surprised that you didn't have anyone masturbating furiously during the call. Yes, I know Washington State techies only far too well, I was a founding manager at Onvia.com

• Haha 1

Now I should clarify that my work was really casual to begin with - I wore jeans every day and either a University polo or T-shirt.

But I am making sure to at least wear jeans and not stay in my underwear or shorts.

Part of this is because I am not letting my computer get me by mysteriously turning on my camera

Not Today Skynet!

• Haha 1

I'm wearing pretty much what I wear to work every day anyway. Of course, that amounts to a T-shirt and running shorts, so I'm not exactly dressing up.  I'm just missing the sandals, but I usually take those off at my desk anyway.

The doomsday prophecy ads I'm starting to see on here are partly funny and partly disturbing.  Much like the recurring political ad for person I won't name.

Reading between the lines of emails from my son's pre-school, I feel like they're not expecting to reopen this year (the school year runs through the second week of August).  

None of my team is dressing up like they'd be in the office. I'm technically "off" next week because it was going to be the kids' spring break, but I don't even know what that means anymore. I already have to be part of a 90 minute webinar at least one day. I'm not sure if I'll dress more nicely for that or not since I'm presenting to another department. We'll see. The general way I'm handling conference calls is that I only have my video on at the beginning, end, and when I'm talking, which is more than the third of my team that never have their video on and less than the third that always does.

2 hours ago, Robert C said:

I'm gonna need a haircut soon.  Told the 5 year old he can use the clippers on me.  Ought to be fun.

Without realizing how soon everything would happen I got a haircut a week before all this and asked to have it cut super short.  So by the time I get out it hopefully won't be that bad.

As for working from home I just do regular clothes.  As long as I'm at the computer doing work then I'm in work mode.  Hopefully they go through with teleworking as a long-term option to save lease space.

Same with a haircut - I got lucky and got a haircut the Tuesday before everything got shutdown here and I usually go a few months anyway before thinking of getting another one so I'll be fine.

My first week working from home was rough - I think there was one shower that entire week and the same pair of shorts and shirt the entire time. People are used to me being holed up in my cave at work anyway, so no one really tries to contact me in any way other than by email that would need me to look decent.  

This week I bought some really good coffee and that has motivated me to get into a bit of a routine.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

My boss is doing that.  Not me, buddy.  Unshaven, PJ pants, cutoff PWG T-shirt.

To show off the guns AND the abs I imagine. Stevie Richards or Blue Meanie-style. Whichever you prefer.

3 minutes ago, Ryan said:

To show off the guns AND the abs I imagine. Stevie Richards or Blue Meanie-style. Whichever you prefer.

LOOOOOL only the sleeves are cut off.  I've been getting in better shape but I'm still a ways to go before rocking the bWo gear ?

• Haha 2

Gov. Lee issued a "Safer at Home" directive that ends on April 14th. For one, that's not near long enough, and two, the directive isn't even mandatory, it's just a suggestion. 

Bill Lee is a fucking coward.

@MORELOCK, thoughts?

Actual conversation I had at work tonight:

• "How's it going?"
  • "Pretty good, got my Van back on the road so I can start working again tomorrow."
  • "What about the lockdown?"
  • "What?"
  • "There's a national lockdown, no non-essential travel."
  • "Why?"
  • "Coronavirus"
  • "What's that?"
  • "A deadly pandemic, sweeping the world. Tens of Thousands dead. It's been all over the news."
  • "Naaah".

It's one thing to think the whole thing is a hoax to get rid of civil liberties. It's bullshit, but it's one thing. But to think that it's just me being a wind-up merchant? Like, why?

• Haha 1

Speaking of hazard pay - someone want to tell me how it's decided if you get that? Because I have a letter from my employer telling me I'm an essential employee, per Homeland Security, but I'm not getting hazard pay or anything. I'm just being told I should be thankful I can still come in and work.

I volunteer at a charity shop for people with mental health issues as I do. The charity shop closed the week before the lockdown came to pass. i think this is the second week of the lockdown by the UK Goverment. I say think because the days are long and dates/days are bleeding into each other. I know people who've said the same. While the lockdown's on and my underlying health conditions, I'm trying to use the time to get things done. These include spring cleaning, snapping up a piece of exercise equipment which went on to sell out and first time movie watches. I've had an electric guitar for a while. Any good books/videos you can recommend for learning electric guitar? Cheers.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Casey said:

Speaking of hazard pay - someone want to tell me how it's decided if you get that? Because I have a letter from my employer telling me I'm an essential employee, per Homeland Security, but I'm not getting hazard pay or anything. I'm just being told I should be thankful I can still come in and work.

I'm in the same boat, but our ceo has been praising us and thanking us for our dedication. 
Oh, and since masks are scarce, we're allowed to wear our respirators while performing our commercial pest control services. That's gonna be off putting for some folks, I'd imagine.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow

1 hour ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I'm in the same boat, but our ceo has been praising us and thanking us for our dedication. 
Oh, and since masks are scarce, we're allowed to wear our respirators while performing our commercial pest control services. That's gonna be off putting for some folks, I'd imagine.

They'll be OK, so long as you remember to act as much like Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet as possible. If you don't do that, it might creep them out a bit, but as long as you go Full Frank Booth, they'll know they're in safe hands.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, AxB said:

Actual conversation I had at work tonight:

• "How's it going?"
  • "Pretty good, got my Van back on the road so I can start working again tomorrow."
  • "What about the lockdown?"
  • "What?"
  • "There's a national lockdown, no non-essential travel."
  • "Why?"
  • "Coronavirus"
  • "What's that?"
  • "A deadly pandemic, sweeping the world. Tens of Thousands dead. It's been all over the news."
  • "Naaah".

It's one thing to think the whole thing is a hoax to get rid of civil liberties. It's bullshit, but it's one thing. But to think that it's just me being a wind-up merchant? Like, why?

The ostrich syndrome, I suppose. If you don't see it, it isn't there.

• Like 1