DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

Well we were notified today that in our school district - a staff member passed away due to Corona

So yeah... if schools weren't already passed away, they would be now

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, Rev Ray said:

just found out someone in my complex tested positive.   They are not in my building and I don't have shared common areas but I'm in garden apts and they are two buildings down.  Sooooooooooo... this shit literally just hit close to home.

Stay healthy, Ray!

28 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Well we were notified today that in our school district - a staff member passed away due to Corona

So yeah... if schools weren't already passed away, they would be now.

Other than the confirmed case on post, COVID-19 hasn't hit too close to home yet.  We're all good in the 804.

However, the biological half-sister that my adopted kid sister finally met last month works as a registered nurse...… in New Orleans...… where the shit is hitting the fan.... and her husband with whom I am bonding quite nicely and is a police officer.

We are naturally scared shitless for them right now.

Edited by J.T.

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

Someone I don't know on Facebook thought it would be fun to share my profile picture/post I made the fucking day after my Mum passed away. Of all the things to do. Found that out today. Off the scale livid and upset what this fucker has done.

I'm sure between everyone's.....particular set of....well, not quite skills, but yeah, you get where I'm going with this. 

Let me know if I can help.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Got a cold call last night from one of the local car dealerships I visited last year before I got my new car.

Who exactly is buying a car right now? 

Reminds me of the day when curfew came into effect here and in the company, we were hecticly trying to prepare as good as possible for one months or more of home office: on that day some personnel service pestered my boss if he had already looked at some CV they sent him that very same day.

And about the "who is buying now": my company signed the contract to buy a new building (next to our current one) a week before the shit hit the fan. Even considering that the company is in very good economic shape, I am not sure if they would have signed that contract a week later.

Edited by Robert s

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And Boris Johnson has announced that he tested positive

As have three other members of the "Corona task force" of the UK government, including the guy that still preached "herd immunity" when everyone else was calling for social distancing measures.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And Boris Johnson has announced that he tested positive

When the right person gets it, there will be a treatment developed overnight.

At the rate the stock market is plummeting and bruising my TSP, I might be able to retire when I am 105 years old.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I would be classified as a key worker for the NHS; I'm still in work and haven't been sent home yet. This is unquestionably serious and the mob in government has spent years making cutbacks to the NHS so the workers in it are underpaid, undervalued and overworked so now, when something like this happens which could never have been predicted, the shit hits the fan and it shows how underappreciated all these workers are and, yet, from my dealings with them, the vast majority I've dealt with down the years are basically saints. 

But when this is all hopefully over, the cynic in me would suggest, they'll still be underpaid, undervalued and overworked.

• Like 1

On that subject:

I thought I might have Covid, I had mild symptoms last night. But I feel a bit better today. If I try to breathe deeply I cough, does that count? There's a chance I might just be allergic to alcohol and never knew (someone put hand sanitizer on me yesterday; That would be the most alcohol I'd touched in thirty years). But being one of those people who doesn't get ill, mild symptoms was the worst I was expecting, and in my line of work you really can't protect yourself to any real extent. Catching it was/ is inevitable. When they finally get a proper widespread testing programme (and a test that reveals whether a negative is a 'Not had it yet' or a 'Had it and recovered') I'm expecting to discover I've been Covid-Positive at some point.

Having Severe Anxiety Disorder during this with my stress level up before this started, being a critical communication worker that travels to work every other day with my Allergies hitting me is sticking me into a massive Panic Attack feedback loop.

Thankfully, my boss is cool so I can likely go more "limited in office time" so I can get my anxiety managed before I can't function.

Or I could have it, who knows. 

• Like 1

Due to the Coronavirus, my new job decided that several positions in the company were not really needed. So, guess who's out of a job again?

I had a video chat today with a new therapist in hopes of getting my anxiety under control better than it is and hopefully I can get more help dealing with the agoraphobia. The thought of going to work anymore gives me a huge knot stomach and when I'm at work I shake uncontrollably and feel like I'm having a panic attack. I just want to take Monster Magnet singer Dave Wyndorff's advice, "I'm never gonna work another day in my life. The god's told me to relax. I'm gonna get fixed up right.".

• Sad 9

3 hours ago, Control said:

It doesn’t help that some of the first symptoms For COVID—sore throat, muscles aching, and general fatigue—are also symptoms of being over 35.

From something I just got sent, apparently a quick way to test if it's COVID or not: Take a deep breath and hold it for ten seconds. If you can do it without any problems, you should be fine. 

• Thanks 1

Shit starting to hit close to home.  A friends 80 year old father got diagnosed today and is close to the ventilator/palliative care decision.  Another friend sent us a picture of herself covered in protective gear. She been manning one of the testing centers all week.  I guess the bright side is the ventilators and protective gear are still available around here. For now. 

• Sad 1

My ex-wife, my daughter's mom, is a fucking moron. She's been in full panic mode and has been watching the news non-stop and feeding my 9 year old daughter information that's way over her head. Shit like that it's unsafe to leave the house, getting take out is a good way to get sick, that sort of shit. This dumb bitch doesn't bother to make sure my daughter is clean and dressed out of pajamas by, like, 3 pm, or have her hair brushed, but she sure as hell is going on and on about coronavirus and all of that.

Thankfully, I'm somehow not remotely anxious about this (I was at about a 2 out of 10, now it's maybe a 3 or 4) and my wife is a nurse (well, now she's a regional manager, but she'll still run treatments here and there) and a saint and we're more than capable of having good discussions with a 9 year old. So a lot of the night tonight was spent calming her fears after we ordered takeout from our favorite Chinese restaurant or if not calming them, helping her get a better understanding for what this all is so she can be better equipped to not be afraid. It's one of those things that makes me wish I had full custody and not 50/50 custody just to have full control of the situation. I'm sure tomorrow will bring more questions and that's what my wife and I want. If my daughter is worried, we want her to ask a million questions or even re-ask them because we both know that we'll handle it extremely well.

Then there's my friends who are being impacted. One in LA was laid off or furloughed from his restaurant job and there's not a lot of acting gigs available, another friend here is a manager of a hotel and who knows what their situation is going to be, another friend out on the west coast was also furloughed, same for a friend of mine in Chicago, and that all sucks.

And then there's my mom and other relatives who are stuck at home and isolated more than they were before.

I feel bad for everyone more than I actually worry about this. And then I start feeling mad because we could have been better prepared to handle this, but the president is a complete and total fucking idiot and continuously leads the country and ultimately the world down the wrong path. Sorry for the political talk, but fuck him, fuck that entire administration, and bless Fauci and others trying to do what they can for as long as they can until they're fired.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 7