DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

One week under curfew and I slowly am regaining my sanity (that the weather dropped by 10 deg C over the weekend probably helped). Current models predict the peak of the pandemic here in Austria to be reached in about 2-4 weeks. For now, the measures have been pretty stable for a week, but let's see what happens in the next couple of days. In theory, any measures taken should show an effect on Thursday, at latest, and if the exponential increase does not flatten by the weekend, I won't be surprised if curfew restrictions are increased.

On the positive side, the numbers in northern Italy seemed to have flattened out a bit over the last couple of days (though who knows, maybe they decreased testing in northern Italy or have got a huge backlog), indicating that a peak within 2 weeks might not be that unrealistic (considering that the pandemic started in Italy a couple of weeks earlier and Italy started with measures about two weeks before we did here in Austria). But even if numbers start to drop off a bit after that, restrictions will only be removed very carefully, I am sure - out of fear of a second wave. Especially international travel and events with more than 100 people (sporting events etc.) won't be possible for the foreseeable future (at least until fall).

Regarding the opening hours debate: that's one problem we don't have over here, as even in non-crisis times, almost all grocery stores are only allowed to be open for at most 12 hours (8 am to 8 pm; until 4 pm on Saturday's and completely closed on Sunday).

Edited by Robert s
  • Like 1

South Carolina hasn't shut down yet, but we're about to tick over 300 cases and 4 or 5 dead, so I suspect it's not long in coming. I'm going to spend some time tomorrow going from store to store to find a gallon or two of distilled water, triple check Mom's meds, then get the Boston (pork) butt out of the freezer and get it ready for the crock pot. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Yeah, stay at home was just issued for Wisconsin as well.  I might still be going to work depending on if they consider construction to be an essential industry.

All I know is if the weed man doesn't come through today it's going to be a long couple of weeks.

I've never felt worse about being "essential."  Guess I'll be working for the duration or until shit gets worse.

Here in Idaho its not so bad, just the standard stuff. This week is Spring Break, and we have next week off. I had to create a packet for my students, I guess we are supposed to be available for virtual office hours type thing. Since my school is a Native American school, we take our orders from the state, but the Feds are in there somewhere, I'm exactly sure how it works, but I will be getting paid still though, at least till August and after that once I sign a new contract.

Did a marathon work session yesterday at the university computer lab, after working essentially all morning and afternoon, I finished my outstanding work from 4-midnight. It was supposed to be turned in throughout the semester, but my professors know what a clusterfuck my job is so its not a big deal. I still have a few things to do, but they are not due for a couple of weeks. Some assignments left for the other class, but baring something going very wrong, I graduate with my MAT in about a month. No ceremony though, and ironically this is only time I actually wanted to walk. Irony is a cruel mistress.

Boris finally shut down the UK at 8:30. You can only leave the house to buy essentials, go to work (if you're essential), or to get one dose of daily exercise. At 9pm, loads of people showed up at my shop to buy all the wine and beer.

Does this mean it is now illegal for someone in an abusive household to flee?

18 minutes ago, AxB said:

Does this mean it is now illegal for someone in an abusive household to flee?

Here they're saying emergency shelters and services will remain available, and in other provinces they've been deemed essential services. Given that everyone seems to acknowledge the likelihood of a spike in DV during this thing, I'd like to assume they're not going to say abuse victims need to stay where they are. Not sure about the situation in your neck of the woods. 

Considering the virus is called Covid-19, there's a fairly decent chance the eventual cure/vaccine could be called Cov-fe-fe. If it's iron-based, or something.

• Haha 1

Is anybody else struck by how much reality seems to be imitating a 70s disaster movie, between the crowds of people ignoring this shit and leadership sticking their heads in the sand?

It's hard to decide who is doing the best imitation of the mayor from Jaws.  Right now my leader is Dan Patrick, our dear Lt. Governor

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Robert C said:

It's hard to decide who is doing the best imitation of the mayor from Jaws.  Right now my leader is Dan Patrick, our dear Lt. Governor

He's just following the party line and the example set by your president, who'll probably be giving his update a week from now in front of a giant banner that says Mission Accomplished. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A few hours ago I was reading between the lines but after the press conference it became all the more clearer...  there will soon be a narrative shift that things aren't "too bad" here in the U.S. even if they are getting worse.  The economy has taken top priority over health. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Even as a Brit I had to stop watching out of anger when he kept repeating about how the US is having a "really bad flu season anyway" and started mentioning how many people are going to die just from the flu, almost like he's trying to downplay CV and/or try and apportion diagnoses to non-CV flus. He really is a scummy individual.

Glad Bojo has locked everything down in the UK, but I'm expecting that we'll have to go the France/Spain route and have fines and police flying drones at old ladies to get them to stay inside. 

Then after that all we'll have to worry about is the pigeon uprising. *Edit*, shit I forgot seagulls! Agh! They're built like tanks round here.

Edited by King Leonidas Of Sparta

My father-in-law just died from this. There's restrictions in Australia currently to a maximum of 10 people in attendance at the funeral. We have no idea who to ask to confirm whether this includes the minister/funeral staff/the body before making arrangements.

I work in disability insurance. There's talk we could be called up the government to provide assistance with triaging patients when the medical system inevitably melts down. I really have no interest in taking my talents in WebMD to a live pandemic situation.

• Sad 17

I thought I was going to work today until I saw a text from my boss around 6:45 EST saying not to come into the office. I guess that means they're working from home, but I'm not set up to do so. My boss has the laptop I'd be working from. Going to bed at 9 pm was kind of a waste because now I can't fall back to sleep. I guess it's time to read. That usually helps me fall asleep. It's either that or Bob Ross on my DVR.

1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

My father-in-law just died from this. There's restrictions in Australia currently to a maximum of 10 people in attendance at the funeral. We have no idea who to ask to confirm whether this includes the minister/funeral staff/the body before making arrangements.

I work in disability insurance. There's talk we could be called up the government to provide assistance with triaging patients when the medical system inevitably melts down. I really have no interest in taking my talents in WebMD to a live pandemic situation.

Roland, I'm sorry to hear about your father-in-law. I'm here for you on the other side of the planet.

This might help answer some of your questions. I'd say when in doubt, ask a funeral director. 

https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-for-funeral-directors

https://www.manningrivertimes.com.au/story/6686660/pandemic-will-affect-funerals/

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

A few hours ago I was reading between the lines but after the press conference it became all the more clearer...  there will soon be a narrative shift that things aren't "too bad" here in the U.S. even if they are getting worse.  The economy has taken top priority over health. 

The ironic thing is that this has proven a general strike would break these motherfuckers in a week tops and we could have any pie in the sky healthcare or social safety net policy we wanted made into a reality.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Virginia just closed all school through the reminder of the academic year

I am on telework until Mid-May until the earliest

My sister teaches for Chesterfield county and she's very pissed off.  No one knows what they're going to do about the graduating seniors.   Do they all get to walk or do they have to go to summer school to complete the academic year?  Lots of unaddressed questions.

My daughter is a junior and she's nervous about whether or not she'll graduate on time next spring.

3 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

@RolandTHTG I am sorry for your loss, man.

In that same vein, my sister and I are on an extreme hand washing and shower taking schedule so that we don't bring anything bad into the environment while we are taking care of our senior mother.  She's okay but she's arthritic and takes meds to suppress her immune system so that it doesn't ravage her joints. 

That makes COVID-19 extremely problematic for our family.  

Dad is in an assisted health facility and he's also okay.  The building is under lockdown to protect the elderly residents. It may be lifted by April, but they are taking no chances.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Did VA straight up close?  I know NY and NJ went to teleschooling for the forseeable future.  

Yep.  Closed for the remainder of the academic year in VA as per the Governor so no school until the fall semester.  If we're lucky, schools will re-open for summer classes so kids just don't miss that entire block of instruction.

Edited by J.T.

So yesterday Gov. Hogan said that all non-essential businesses are closed in Maryland.  He said that shelter-in-place is pointless if these stores are still open.  And he in a nice way was very annoyed with those that weren't taking this seriously.  I liked the guy before (name had nothing to do with it) but really became a fan of his with how he's been handling this.  It's just too bad that him and other governors have a better handle on the situation than the guy that's supposed to run the country.  Hopefully people will wise up in this state but I kind of doubt it.

Luckily with my job we're all doing telework.  Which is great for those that know what they're doing.  But we've had so many departments who never had to do this before and it's been one long-ass shitshow.  I think it's finally calming down now after a week+ of dealing with this.  Once it gets back to normal then I'll be more likely to catch up one some things.

• Like 1

To clarify on the VA schools - the physical schools are closed. Their school year isn’t over.

They start online learning on Monday - for now they can only review material already taught as they figure out how to handle everything else (the big hold up is the equity issues around everything.)

The standardized tests VA does (called SOLs... yes I appreciate the irony) most likely will be canceled (they aren’t canceled yet despite the shitty local reporting claiming they are). Our school district (and many others) are applying to have them waived and everyone expects that they will 

I listen to my wife spend 8 hours of her day dealing with this as she is on the Tech Admin side and the guidance they are getting from the VA Dept of Education has been... minimal so far. (Plus some teachers act as entitled and privileged as wrestling fans) 

I know folks are all NO PROM! NO GRADUATION!! BURN THE WITCHES!!! but that is 1/4 of the student population in high school.Right now the number #1 priority is figuring out the new standards for graduation and the ability to continue education for all students. Going digital for high school is one thing. Going online only for elementary students is WAY different 

EDIT - actually to clarify further. Each individual school district can decide if they are going online or not. (As far as I know all the Northern VA ones are) So yes - some kids in some places might have had the rest the schooling punted until Fall

6 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

To clarify on the VA schools - the physical schools are closed. Their school year isn’t over.

They start online learning on Monday - for now they can only review material already taught as they figure out how to handle everything else (the big hold up is the equity issues around everything.)

The standardized tests VA does (called SOLs... yes I appreciate the irony) most likely will be canceled (they aren’t canceled yet despite the shitty local reporting claiming they are). Our school district (and many others) are applying to have them waived and everyone expects that they will 

I listen to my wife spend 8 hours of her day dealing with this as she is on the Tech Admin side and the guidance they are getting from the VA Dept of Education has been... minimal so far. (Plus some teachers act as entitled and privileged as wrestling fans) 

I know folks are all NO PROM! NO GRADUATION!! BURN THE WITCHES!!! but that is 1/4 of the student population in high school.Right now the number #1 priority is figuring out the new standards for graduation and the ability to continue education for all students. Going digital for high school is one thing. Going online only for elementary students is WAY different 

Yeah, that's more accurate but as you say, the VA Dept of Ed isn't in all that much of a hurry to make the call about what to do about missed school time other than to reiterate that physical schools will not re-open for the rest of the academic year.

My sister teaches Third Grade.  She talks about the hell of distance learning for elementary age kids every day.  

My daughter is in high school.  She doesn't give a rat's ass about Junior Prom, but she'd like to avoid making up the academic year during the summer.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

So yesterday Gov. Hogan said that all non-essential businesses are closed in Maryland.  He said that shelter-in-place is pointless if these stores are still open.  And he in a nice way was very annoyed with those that weren't taking this seriously.  I liked the guy before (name had nothing to do with it) but really became a fan of his with how he's been handling this.  It's just too bad that him and other governors have a better handle on the situation than the guy that's supposed to run the country.  Hopefully people will wise up in this state but I kind of doubt it.

Personally, I think that most people are taking it seriously, but not everyone can afford to miss work or not engage in commerce for weeks at a time.  

The disease has really exposed the frailty of the service driven economy we currently have.   Making the minimum wage a living wage doesn't do dick for people if there are mandatory business shutdowns like this and if those sorts of jobs don't come with benefits.

There needs to be hardcore employment policy and health care reform in this country.  Not sure if Medicare 4 All is the solution for our particular political dynamic, but there's got to be something better than what we've got going right now.

As for Hogan, his attitude rubs me the wrong way sometimes but I admire the guy a bit for taking the initiative for doing his utmost to make the best tasting shit sandwich possible as far as his COVID-19 policy goes.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2