DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

36 minutes ago, OSJ said:

I've been working from home since 2001, so not much has changed there. I'm also 90% homebound due to my COPD and need for oxygen 24/7, I do go out from time to time but not very damned often. (Not that there's much to see or do in Gallup, NM). However, with the COPD if I catch this shit, stick a fork in me, I'm done. I like writing horror, I'm not real big on living it.

My Dad’s doctors are discussing moving his oxygen level up to the point where he’ll need two concentrators hooked together. Suffice it to say we probably aren’t going to be able to visit him for quite a while. Best of luck. 

Meanwhile, one of Cindy's co-workers tested positive for COVID so we're now self-quarantining. He hadn't been in the office since March 13 which means we should only have to do it for a week or so as long as we stay asymptomatic.

I’m in a certain purgatory right now. I work at Menards in St. Louis. If the city does officially announce they are closing non-essential stuff, I have no idea if Menards would be included in that due to our grocery department. So I might be working next week in what is going to devolve into everyone getting sick, or by my next shift after tonight, Tuesday, we could be shut down.

We're kind of in a limbo in the UK because they still haven't announced closures of non-essential businesses, although a lot have closed voluntarily (the Government has closed Pubs, Restaurants and Cafes though. Took their sweet time about it. Anyone would think they were pandering to the insurance companies that the pubs had closure insurance with). Going to be interesting when they close all the tanning salons and beauty parlours. We'll get to see what everyone actually looks like (instead of what they pretend to look like). Well, we won't, lockdown and all. But when it's over, we will.

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

This is the week America learned to turn off their microphones on their laptop because there's a little bit too much background noise. And, also, can everyone see the screen?

Yeah, I was in the middle of teleconferencing with my teammates yesterday and Mandy started barking as I was talking (a toy was stuck under the couch). Thankfully everyone got a kick out of it, including my boss. ?

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

This is the week America learned to turn off their microphones on their laptop because there's a little bit too much background noise. And, also, can everyone see the screen?

No matter how many calls there are or how many times the person leading the call reminds everyone to mute up front, there’s always, always, always one fucking guy. 

• Like 1

My local Stop and Shop got Distilled Water back in and limited it to 1 bottle, which is fine for me because I know how hard it was to find so I took my gallon and left the rest for the other people that need it for breathing machines...

In the "I never thought this would happen" department, I got my official letter from DHS identifying me as an essential Telecommunications worker that's allowed on the roads past curfew and to go into my site.  Its eerie that I have to carry a letter around with me to go down the highway, but here we are.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pete said:

Yeah, I was in the middle of teleconferencing with my teammates yesterday and Mandy started barking as I was talking (a toy was stuck under the couch). Thankfully everyone got a kick out of it, including my boss. ?

My mastiff joined several meetings this week. Her bark is roughly on par with your average earthquake. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Yeah, same here, and I've got Mom's BiPAP machine to fill. According to the manufacturer, I could use purified water, but it'll leave mineral deposits behind in the tank.

I'm not sure how a BiPAP works, but I do have a CPAP and I wouldn't want to use purified water in it for the reasons you stated.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ryan said:

Should have just left the room and let her take your place for the whole thing.

I would've, but some of those meetings were with contractors, and she would've gone too easy on em. 

If our old Great Pyrenees was still with us, she'd have done a better job than I did.

5 minutes ago, Robert s said:

Just a question to the US guys here: why does have NY so much more cases than the rest of the US (even more than the rest combined)? Does NY state test way way more than the rest?

Off the top of my head, it’s the only city in the country where more than half the population uses public transportation to get around. 

7 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Boiling doesn't take out the minerals like distillation does.

This makes sense now that you say it. Our water is from a well and filtered, but it still has stuff in it even if you boil it. I'd be fearful to use it for something like a netipot, even after boiling, let alone a respirator.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Tell your neighbours that if they need a test, they should cough on an NBA player. Works like a charm. 

Or a film/TV celebrity.

Or that guy from Bon Jovi.

I’m being treated as essential by my employer because I vendor service a company that is considered essential. It’s fine since as long as I keep going to work I know I have a job, but I’m going to have to ask for some kind of written acknowledgment that I’m essential.  We’ve been under a stay at home order for a day and the state is already fed up with people disregarding it, so they’re cracking down. Today there was a cop staring me from his car when I was on my break sitting in mine, but before he could hassle me about lingering in public or whatever, a fight broke out in the parking lot and he went to address that. 

Anyway, everything I’ve just written is very normal and I don’t expect to be a blood bag strapped to the grille of a gen Z kid’s car sometime this year. 

Is anyone here living in a state under a stay home/shelter in place order?  I have a decent idea of what is and isn’t affected, but do services like internet providers and cable tv continue to operate?

Wife and I aren’t streamers.  If we lose Comcast’s tv package, things are going to get ugly quick.