DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

I'm changing my job description to "Essential Service Provider". Going to be interesting to see how much business dries up once the UK government actually accepts they should have gone full lockdown already. But whilst a lot of people are working from home, or looking like their businesses are going to be forced to downsize or shutdown, I'll be fulltime the whole time, it looks like.

Things are been crazy in OC over the past couple days where they issued essentially a shelter in place directive, forcing a ton of business to close, then came back the next day and said no no no that's not what we meant and dialed it back and most of them have reopened now.

But during that work got me all set up to work from home so I'm mostly doing that with having to go in maybe once a week to take care of things that I can't get done remotely.  We are rush developing our entire kids museum program online, which is probably going to end up with my having way more work working from home then I ever did actually being there with an open, functional museum.  Thankfully it sounds like job security through all this, at least.  

Edited by CSC
  • Like 1

I've been working from home for probably 2 or 3 years now. And they sold our office, which was one of our largest offices, back in October and they transitioned everyone still at the office to work at home. Not much has changed for me, but I do miss having the option of getting out of the house to go work in the office without distractions every now and then.

I'm hoping I can go back to the office on Monday. After being out of work for four months, now being home after two weeks of work has me going stir crazy sitting at home. At least before, I could go to the gym or something. 

I'm a pest control technician, so I'm essential personal. Our industry is at this minute asking the government to officially clarify us as such. So I'm continuing to drive from service location to service location. Lots of our clients with restaurants are closing down if they aren't serving take out. But I'm still servicing most of my stops. We're all dealing with plague, I'm here to stop the pestilence.   

• Like 3

I work for the provincial government. They have shut down schools and daycares, and are giving the staff shit for requesting to work from home because they have no place for their kids to go.

Even more frustrating is that some departments sent their staff home, and we still have to come in every day. I feel like the government is afraid of backlash of "lazy government workers staying home and doing nothing", so we get to keep potentially exposing outself to Covid-19. Yay.

1 hour ago, Dewar said:

I work for the provincial government. They have shut down schools and daycares, and are giving the staff shit for requesting to work from home because they have no place for their kids to go.

Even more frustrating is that some departments sent their staff home, and we still have to come in every day. I feel like the government is afraid of backlash of "lazy government workers staying home and doing nothing", so we get to keep potentially exposing outself to Covid-19. Yay.

In this boat myself as a state employee. I work in an office of 140 employees, and while it’s closed to the public, there’s still no means of practicing social distancing in the workplace. My union has been fighting this tooth and nail, and I actually spoke with my state representative today, and he has a labor background, so he knows what’s up now too.

Stay safe and strong out there. If you have a union, I suggest you get them involved.

Essential Service Provider here. The only way I could work from home would be if I installed a Diesel pump on my driveway or some shit.

Oh, I forgot to say that I'm a commercial pest control tech. We do pc from farm to table. And we do big drug companies and major chains, amongst a lot of other places. We're gonna take a hit, but we'll survive. The residential pest control guys are really fucked, I'd imagine.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow

On 3/17/2020 at 9:58 AM, Custos said:

I used to do the Convict Conditioning calisthenics exercises when I was holed up in the hotel room in the middle of nowhere for work.

Minor weirdness in the grand scheme of all the disruption, but it was my first day at my new job yesterday, and I spent the first half shadowing the CFO in an emergency exec meeting on how to manage through the crisis, then the second half getting my laptop and gear ready to work from home indefinitely. And I was all psyched to be working in North Sydney with all the pubs and cafes rather than a grimy industrial estate in the West.

And it's looking increasingly likely that those Iron Maiden tickets for May aren't worth the paper they're printed on. Oh well, first world problems and all that 

Might have to give that a try. Just hope I don't turn into The Mountie or Nailz ;).

• Haha 1

The comic book shop I've gone to ever since it opened in my town six years ago put a post out saying Diamond UK is having issues distributing comics to the UK because of coronavirus and are seeking alternate means to get them out. Free Comic Book Day 2020 is also postponed. This fucker is effecting everything globally: lives, businesses, entertainment. Health is wealth. Stay safe NDVDVR MB family xxx.

On 3/19/2020 at 7:49 PM, AxB said:

Essential Service Provider here. The only way I could work from home would be if I installed a Diesel pump on my driveway or some shit.

This would be an interesting business idea for when this is finally all cooling down in a few months(hopefully).

Dudes on second shift start doin' a bogus "oh I don't feel good" thing thinking they'd get free money and now they're stuck at home until they get tested.  Since they were bullshitting they probably can't get tested.  Supervisors are looking bedraggled and get hinky if you ask about if people are sick why are we still in this building.  I'm still going to have to work on monday.  best case scenario is I can beat new doom and die in my sleep at 4:59 am monday morning.

So all week I was going to the Supermarket in the morning before my late shift, and shelves were bare. They adopted a policy of having the opening hour just for the elderly and vulnerable, but apparently it was a bit of a bear pit. They were all a bunch of panic buying twats. Who knew that the over 60s would be so capable of being selfish and inconsiderate*?  But tonight, on my day off, I went to the Supermarket half an hour before it closed, and lo and behold the shelves were actually quite full. They don't fill the shelves overnight when they're closed, they do it late at night when they're quiet.

* Everyone who's studied their voting patterns ?

• Like 6

I work for an inventory company so this shutdown is really effecting us. I last worked Monday and have no jobs for the forcible future since all the customer we usually work for are shutdown. I asked my boss what to do now and she basically said file for unemployment. Even though i still have a job technically, that's what I did. It won't be much since I live in Florida but it's better than nothing. If this goes on for months like the news is saying, I'm going to be SOL and will probably have to find another job or I'll be out in the streets.

20 hours ago, Raziel said:

Not a fucking bottle of Distilled Water to be found in NJ.

Yeah, same here, and I've got Mom's BiPAP machine to fill. According to the manufacturer, I could use purified water, but it'll leave mineral deposits behind in the tank.

I've been working from home since 2001, so not much has changed there. I'm also 90% homebound due to my COPD and need for oxygen 24/7, I do go out from time to time but not very damned often. (Not that there's much to see or do in Gallup, NM). However, with the COPD if I catch this shit, stick a fork in me, I'm done. I like writing horror, I'm not real big on living it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JLSigman said:

Yeah, same here, and I've got Mom's BiPAP machine to fill. According to the manufacturer, I could use purified water, but it'll leave mineral deposits behind in the tank.

Would boiled water work, if you let it cool first?

Also, try Gas stations and car repair garages, if you haven't already. They need distilled water to fill car batteries.

• Like 1