DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

1 hour ago, Contentious C said:

I was just starting to get back into shape thanks to using the gym at work, and now it's closed until further notice.  Yay.  I get to go back to sleeping erratically unless I can figure out something appropriately high-impact at home.  Yay.

Burpees, dude. Tons and tons of burpees.

7 hours ago, Contentious C said:

I was just starting to get back into shape thanks to using the gym at work, and now it's closed until further notice.  Yay.  I get to go back to sleeping erratically unless I can figure out something appropriately high-impact at home.  Yay.

FitnessBlender on the youtubes.

I used to do the Convict Conditioning calisthenics exercises when I was holed up in the hotel room in the middle of nowhere for work.

Minor weirdness in the grand scheme of all the disruption, but it was my first day at my new job yesterday, and I spent the first half shadowing the CFO in an emergency exec meeting on how to manage through the crisis, then the second half getting my laptop and gear ready to work from home indefinitely. And I was all psyched to be working in North Sydney with all the pubs and cafes rather than a grimy industrial estate in the West.

And it's looking increasingly likely that those Iron Maiden tickets for May aren't worth the paper they're printed on. Oh well, first world problems and all that 

17 hours ago, Raziel said:

Oh, well in that case, that's not bad.  I thought that was 150 miles a day.

Oh, hells no.  If I were 150 miles away from a learning site, I'd demand a hotel room for the week.

Welp, work went from "WFH if you want, just let your supervisor know if you're staying home" to "WFH unless you can't, and let your supervisor know if you're coming in."

Pretty sure it's going to change again, to "stay home, period," in the next few days. 

My office building just closed their gym and shared conference rooms indefinitely.

29 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Welp, work went from "WFH if you want, just let your supervisor know if you're staying home" to "WFH unless you can't, and let your supervisor know if you're coming in."

Pretty sure it's going to change again, to "stay home, period," in the next few days. 

My office building just closed their gym and shared conference rooms indefinitely.

Yeah, the gym is closed on post and the various streaming services have been blocked by the end switch at the RNEC in prep to allow ease of access to VPNs for the organizations that have mandatory telework like EEO and CPAC.

Right now we're voluntary telework and we're waiting to see if we'll have to have manning for the training exercise that starts on Thursday that probably won't happen.  The running joke at our office is that more people will volunteer for telework now that they can't watch YouTube or stream Spotify at their desks until further notice.

As of now, my class is still on but that may change by 2PM.  If I am not allowed to go, I will be pissed.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

One of my colleagues was exposed to a positive covid-19 person at the juvenile courthouse, so she's on quarantine (Thank god I don't do juvenile).  My daughter who works at a private pre-school came down with a 101.6 fever yesterday.  And today I feel sick as hell (I don't think I got it, I'm just exhausted, I think).  

....and my job just got shut down because of this stupid virus. Best case scenario we reopen in 2 weeks, worst case 8, worst worst case who knows?

So, fuck me I guess.  I have good savings, but I'm going to go back to school in August with the hope of not having to work while I was there. We'll see if that's the case if this continues for long.

Edited by elizium

All restaurants closed here for 6 weeks after today, though you can still do takeout.  Right thing to do, I figure, but this is gonna crush a bunch of places, especially on the heels of losing SXSW.

Oddly, not having a daily commute or a thousand activities for my son every day has made it easier to actually cook, so we're eating a lot better than usual.  

Day two of lockdown in Austria, day one of home office and I am already getting crazy. Now my uncle and aunt, who live in the same house as me, might have to go into home-quarantine for at least a week as they were in the region of the Austrian Corona hotspot (not that my 81-year-old uncle will follow the quarantine, mind you, old people ...). So I am not far off of being completely stuck in my home for a week (compared to now, where I can at least go for grocery shopping or the occasional walk).

Meanwhile, the UK isn't under lockdown. Schools are still open. We just have 'recommendations' to not go out unnecessarily. Although should we go into lockdown (and let's be honest, that's a when, not an if), my job isn't going to shot down. Loads of fun reading about everyone having all this free time and nothing to do with it, and here I'm not only working, but busy.

This evening, I decided to stop following the news on a regular basis and only check the headlines a couple times a day. Now I wanted to go to bed and saw, that a whole state of Austria will be put under quarantine (with stricter rules then the current curfew), the state that my homestate is bordering directly to. Then I saw an interview with a virologist, who reiterated that 70% of the population will catch the virus sooner or later, no matter if you flatten the curve or not (though I remember having seens the models from the NYT, who stated otherwise). If that's the case and considering that at the peak 2.5 % or whatever are infected at the same time (a number I have seen floating around together with the "flatten the curve" models), and assumind that the illness takes on average 3 weaks, it would (assuming a constant rate of infection, which is obviously not the case, the more immune people you have, to lower the peak will be) take 1.6 years to get to that 70 % number. So the whole restrictions might last until

(1) this time is up

(2) a vaccine is developed, tested, ready and available in the necessary amount

(3) the current government gives up and goes the original British way and just throws 15 % of the over 70 year-olds under the bus

(4) the whole system breaks down and the democratically elected government(s) is (are) overthrown (and the new leadership goes for (3))

I don't want even start to think about my monetary situation. Right now, I have a nice amount of money on the side. Much of this money is bound in bonds. Those bonds have gone down by 15 % over the last two weeks and I have no idea if it's now the time to call it quits or stay and hope that (1) the stuff does not go dow much more and (2) in the long term (5 years) the losses are compensated. But then, pulling the money is also not a good idea either, as with the amount of (non-existing) money that the governments all over the world are now pumping into the economy, we are looking to tumble into hyperinflation. Additionally, while I might have a job with decent pay right now, after half-a-year or whatever of this state, who knows how many companies will go belly up, no matter how much money the government uses for bail-outs. My boss already fears, that our management might be looking to put most employees to reduced hours. I would not even be surprised, if there will be a government-dictated pay-cut.

So you see, I am in a great mental state.

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

I'm really sorry to hear that man. My day job is letting me work from home for the very first time as of today, so Im really grateful after reading some of this stuff.

On the flip side, boy oh boy are you guys gonna get tired of my crappy jokes and Kevin Nash references real soon

10 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm really sorry to hear that man. My day job is letting me work from home for the very first time as of today, so Im really grateful after reading some of this stuff.

I have to admit, sometimes I just need to blow off steam. While factually speaking, what I have written above might be true, it also just might be a worst case scenario. I tend to be a pessimist. Trying to look at it emotionless, there are actually lot of positive things (our government so far seems to act with a clear plan, the top people keeping a cool head and are able to calm people down, so far; people themselves mostly seem to keep to the restrictions and discipline - though who knows how the public opinion will change after a couple of weeks of lockdown (*cough* Shining *cough*)), though in moments like an hour ago when I wrote the post above, I tend to fall towards bleakness. My hope is that after a week or so being more or less bound to home, I will be able to mentally adapt to that.

Funny thing is, I have always considered myself an introvert, almost recluse. But now that the only real (i.e. non-chat or phone-conferences) human interactions I have are with my parents, who live in the same house as me, I really start to miss it, even if it's just the constant banter with my co-workers. I am in home-office as well since yesterday. For now I still would have the chance to work from the company as well, though the last time I was there (Tuesday morning), there were so few people there, that mentally it seemed to be an even worse choice to go there (disregarding the risk due to having to take public transportation - even though barely anyone is using them anymore right now).

44 minutes ago, Robert s said:

I have to admit, sometimes I just need to blow off steam. While factually speaking, what I have written above might be true, it also just might be a worst case scenario. I tend to be a pessimist. Trying to look at it emotionless, there are actually lot of positive things (our government so far seems to act with a clear plan, the top people keeping a cool head and are able to calm people down, so far; people themselves mostly seem to keep to the restrictions and discipline - though who knows how the public opinion will change after a couple of weeks of lockdown (*cough* Shining *cough*)), though in moments like an hour ago when I wrote the post above, I tend to fall towards bleakness. My hope is that after a week or so being more or less bound to home, I will be able to mentally adapt to that.

Funny thing is, I have always considered myself an introvert, almost recluse. But now that the only real (i.e. non-chat or phone-conferences) human interactions I have are with my parents, who live in the same house as me, I really start to miss it, even if it's just the constant banter with my co-workers. I am in home-office as well since yesterday. For now I still would have the chance to work from the company as well, though the last time I was there (Tuesday morning), there were so few people there, that mentally it seemed to be an even worse choice to go there (disregarding the risk due to having to take public transportation - even though barely anyone is using them anymore right now).

Yea I feel that. I went through a period where I never wanted to leave the house and now I'm stuck, life is funny

Since late 2013 I've been working from home most of the time and I have a schedule (third shift over the weekends) that has left me more or less isolated from most of humanity during peak times. Last week we got word that all available staff would be working from home, except for essential personnel. Naturally, since I'm one of the few people on my shift and a tier 2 that means I'm not working from the office full time until further notice. At least I'll have the building to myself.