DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

On 3/2/2020 at 11:00 AM, D.Z said:

Decided to never drink soda again.

Aside from the occasional one with dinner or at family gatherings when there isn’t much else available, you can count the soda’s I’ve had since summertime on one hand.

I’ve been drinking sweet tea and gradually working my way down. I used to drink Arizona Sweet Tea by the gallon, but now it tastes like tea with five pounds of sugar poured in. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

When I posted the above, I withheld I’m a self-harmer and have suicidal thoughts. I went back and forth whether to say . I’ve mentioned that briefly in the past. I didn’t want to put upon you when you’ve got your own things going on, trigger anybody and you thinking less of me. I trust and hope this remains here.

I want to send thanks to those reacting to my post about my mental health and the posts of support. Those are most appreciated. Thanks to @(BP), @Nice Guy Eddie, @gatling, @Technico Support, @OSJ, @OctopusCinema, @Execproducer, @Eivion, @Matt D and @AxB. Apologies if I missed anyone.

Nobody's going to think less of you, friend.  Keep on keepin' on.

• Like 4

I love how supportive this place is. 

Cause of the fucked up weather down here,in Central MS we never really got winter this year,my depression has acted up a bit. Normally my cycle from depression to manic happens on a somewhat normal schedule. But with there being no real winter I have in some days cycled back and forth thru them. Thankfully I got a great support system locally.

Good luck Eddie on the job hunt. And Natural always remember no matter what it will get better.

Like my amazing lady tells me often "We are both broken,but put what pieces of us are leftover together and we are whole again."

• Like 8

Finally bought a new car in January because my 17-year-old one had pretty much had it.  2 months, and now the "Check Hybrid System" warning goes off and I'll have to see what the Hell is wrong with this.  Luckily it's all under warranty for another 4 years & 10 months minimum...

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

Finally bought a new car in January because my 17-year-old one had pretty much had it.  2 months, and now the "Check Hybrid System" warning goes off and I'll have to see what the Hell is wrong with this.  Luckily it's all under warranty for another 4 years & 10 months minimum...

My 2008 Scion TC Turbo gave up the ghost last Fall.  I like my 2020 Toyota Corolla and it's the first brand new car I've ever bought for myself, but owning a four door sedan after years of hypersonic flight is real culture change.

We just got our first officially diagnosed case of coronavirus in our county.  There are no contingency plans for the jail, for the courts, or jury assemblies or anywhere large amount of people will be congregating.  Seems legit.  I'm working on getting my clients excused from court -- but I'm still gonna have to show up and visit them in jail.  Jesus Christ.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Contentious C said:

Just feed it some leafy greens, it'll be fine.

1 hour ago, Lawful Metal said:

We just got our first officially diagnosed case of coronavirus in our county.  There are no contingency plans for the jail, for the courts, or jury assemblies or anywhere large amount of people will be congregating.  Seems legit.  I'm working on getting my clients excused from court -- but I'm still gonna have to show up and visit them in jail.  Jesus Christ.  

My company just started "everybody might need to work from home" plans.  Holy shit.

Realistically, I'm going to get exposed to the Coronavirus. Decent chance I already have been (there's a diagnosed case in my nearest hospital). Nature of retail work, you don't get to wash your hands as often or as thoroughly as you probably should. But luckily, I'm one of those people who doesn't get ill. Like, I get sick one day per decade. I was ill one day in the 2010s, one day in the 2000s, one day in the 1990s, and maybe three days in the 80s. Don't remember the 70s but I was only five years old when they ended.

So I'll catch it, but I won't suffer from it. Just have to be careful to not visit the parents for a bit.

The UK Government's plan is to try to delay the spread of the disease so most people don't catch it until the Summer, because it's more survivable if it's hot outside apparently. Halfwits.

2 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

2 cases in Harris county now. Wash your hands. Stop shaking hands. 

Harris is pretty big. Where are the cases? I'm not super worried since I wasn't exactly going around shaking people's hands anyways, and I don't go out much. My older brother doesn't seem likely to interact with a carrier since his job is support. Probably should worry more about my father. He goes out and about more than both of his sons combined.

I've been washing my hands and haven't touched anyone- but I'm absolutely terrified of it nonetheless. Like, getting panic attacks going to work and considering quitting my job just so I can stay in my room until there's an all-clear.

It doesn't help when work's viewpoint is "even if the state shuts down, we expect you to be there. And even if someone openly coughs in your face, you will be expected to smile and serve them. But we won't let you take time off until you show symptoms", and everything I've heard to try and calm down has said "accept dying and be fine with it." Great, but I don't WANT to die. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It's only fatal if you were either super old, super young or already in extremely poor health. If you aren't close to death to begin with, you're just getting the Flu for a while. Which whilst that isn't really anyone's idea of fun, it's not the end of the World or anything.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

I've been washing my hands and haven't touched anyone- but I'm absolutely terrified of it nonetheless. Like, getting panic attacks going to work and considering quitting my job just so I can stay in my room until there's an all-clear.

It doesn't help when work's viewpoint is "even if the state shuts down, we expect you to be there. And even if someone openly coughs in your face, you will be expected to smile and serve them. But we won't let you take time off until you show symptoms", and everything I've heard to try and calm down has said "accept dying and be fine with it." Great, but I don't WANT to die. 

While I'm not paranoid about this Coronavirus fears or not it sounds like your work doesn't give a damn about people's health.  So if you're quitting for that reason then I'm sure nobody would blame you.

As for me I'm a germaphobe so I know I'll be doing my part to try and avoid this.  I generally don't fear it though will be prepared for it either way.  I don't feel a need to stock up on shit I may or may not need but my family is.  My mom got me a care package of things like tissues and such which I personally think is overkill.  But hey, at least I don't have to worry about buying it for a while so at least there's that.

• Like 1

Yeah, probably bad timing to go to a Rockets game.

I just now realized how many times I touch my face. All I do is touch my face.

clients and opposing counsel only get terrorist fist jabs or Wakanda forever from now on. 

My school has a plan for if/when the virus gets here, and if its bad enough we may close down for a while. We are on a Indian Reservation in South East Idaho, so its not exactly a hot spot. Student/regular teaching has been quite a slog, especially since the jr high kids think they don't have to listen to me or do any work. "sigh" Two month until graduation(assuming i don't blow it), and I have a huge lesson plan to write this week(I write them every week, but I'm turning this one in to TWO different classes), the my final formal observation. Its the "if you fuck this one up you ain't graduating pal" one. . . .

ohhh shiiiiiit

3 cases reported in my county (Montgomery County, MD).  Nice knowing you, ebros.

JK, what @AxB wrote is comforting, and my family is neither old, super young, or in poor health.  Still, god damn.  On the plus side, I'm looking forward to possibly working from home a lot more!

Eh, I figure it's already all around and we just don't know it yet due to insufficient testing.  I have a labmate who's been hacking up a lung for most of the week.  Whatever.

On the bright side, car issue was a faulty water pump, probably a straightforward fix.  Less great, the POS loaner car they gave me; somehow, this Kona - same model year as my new car, no less - is a dumpster fire on wheels in comparison to my Sonata.

7 hours ago, AxB said:

It's only fatal if you were either super old, super young or already in extremely poor health. If you aren't close to death to begin with, you're just getting the Flu for a while. Which whilst that isn't really anyone's idea of fun, it's not the end of the World or anything.

It might be for the super old, super young, or already in extremely poor health, though.

I lack compassion.

Edit: Generally, I mean. Not just in this case.

You know how most people, when it comes to things they don't care about, they actually care a little bit about them? I just don't have that wiring. I don't care at all about the things I don't care about. People find it disconcerting, sometimes.

Edited by AxB

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

ohhh shiiiiiit

3 cases reported in my county (Montgomery County, MD).  Nice knowing you, ebros.

JK, what @AxB wrote is comforting, and my family is neither old, super young, or in poor health.  Still, god damn.  On the plus side, I'm looking forward to possibly working from home a lot more!

Yeah, but at least it seems like they'll easily recover from it so that's good.  I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it makes its way to Baltimore and Harford counties.  So I'm looking forward to WFH as I do have a gaming backlog to work on (and some wrestling to catch up on to boot)

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Haha 1

Work is keeping a list places where you have to self quarantine, at least in terms of coming into work, for two weeks after travelling.  They added Germany a couple days ago.  My boss is there right now.  It's party time.

And SXSW just got cancelled.  I did not think that was gonna happen.  I look forward to listening to my parents, who bitch and moan about the presence of SXSW every year bitching and moaning instead about it getting cancelled.  I assume it will somehow be a covert attempt to undermine el presidente.

Edited by Robert C

No real alterations to my life yet.  Mainly just keeping hands clean and stuff.  I am organizing a cubing competition here in Spokane on 3/14 where we'll have almost 150 people in attendance so there's some potential issues there.  We are hoping to supply hand sanitizer and wipes for people* but every store is cleaned out right now.  A very popular cubing competition in Seattle has already canceled, not surprising given the state of the virus over there.  We will have people from Seattle at my comp but no plans to cancel yet.

* - definitely some contamination issues as everyone's cubes get touched by multiple people and everybody uses the same timers when solving, so lots of hands touching the same surfaces.

There's a meeting that I was going to have in Seattle in August that might get moved to some other city.  Too bad, I've never been to Seattle and wanted to go.

Other than that... about the "super old, super young, or in extremely poor health", probably pointing out the obvious here, but the concern would be if you have any relatives or friends that fit those categories.  For many of us on the board, our parents are pretty old.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Other than that... about the "super old, super young, or in extremely poor health", probably pointing out the obvious here, but the concern would be if you have any relatives or friends that fit those categories. 

Pretty much my feeling. Aside from annoyance about people hoarding shit, I'll very likely be fine. I'm more concerned about others. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy