DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

Today I said goodbye to a woman who never stopped seeing the good in me, even in my lowest, most hateful points in life. I am still here because of her, and I will never forget her kindness and love. Rest, Mrs. B. I can only dream of being half the person you believed I am.

• Sad 12

She was a teacher. A mother. A poet. A force of nature. She helped shape the minds and souls of countless people, and the full church where her funeral was conducted was proof. She raised two sons I’m privileged to call friends. And through it all, she never stopped giving, or caring.

I don’t know what I believe anymore, but I believe with every ounce of my being that she is literally as much of an angel now in the next world as she was in this one.

I dropped my daughter off at my mom’s last night so I could go to this funeral. When it was all said and done, I made sure to give my mom a big hug and told her how much I loved and appreciated her.

If you have someone in your life who means as much to you, I hope you do the same. You’ll never know when you don’t have the chance anymore.

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

I hear ya.  My dad has Lewy-body Dementia.  I do my best to let him know how much I appreciated him growing up but regretfully, I'm not sure how much of that he actually comprehends.  He's not dead, but my opportunities to let him know how much I care about him seem to have run out.

I'm a big believer in the old adage of If You Love Me, Don't Wait For My Funeral, Buy Me Some Flowers Today!

2 hours ago, Super Ape said:

She was a teacher. A mother. A poet. A force of nature. She helped shape the minds and souls of countless people, and the full church where her funeral was conducted was proof. She raised two sons I’m privileged to call friends. And through it all, she never stopped giving, or caring.

I don’t know what I believe anymore, but I believe with every ounce of my being that she is literally as much of an angel now in the next world as she was in this one.

Even if you didn't speak that at the funeral, that is as beautiful a  eulogy as I have ever seen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry for your loss @Super Ape.  Those were beautiful words about your friend and it's clear her influence and spirit live on through you and I'm sure your daughter as well.  That legacy is as much of a wonderful tribute as your words.  My deepest condolences to you and all that knew this amazing woman.

• Like 2

In what should’ve been done many, many, many moons ago—will turn 43 in April—I’m finally moving out of my parents house; just received word I got approved for an apartment I’d been eyeing for months.

Edited by Joel Martin
  • Like 11

That could be an interesting site poll. How old were you, when you first lived in a house with neither of your parents?

I was 17.

11 hours ago, AxB said:

That could be an interesting site poll. How old were you, when you first lived in a house with neither of your parents?

I was 17.

I was 32 when I moved out which feels awfully late to me.  Especially considering many people I know had a house/apartment a lot sooner than that and even have had a couple kids along the way.  It would have been a lot sooner but I was a dumbass that could only get a cheap-ass apartment.  I feel late to the game with finally getting a "starter" house but at least I'm a bit wiser with things than I was before.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AxB said:

I was 17.

1 month from turning 25. I had a lot of health issues and surgeries in my early 20's that fucked things up quite a bit. 

I think 20 or 21. I was in university (straight out of high school) and my dad handed me a paper with the vacancies circled.

My first apartment was $375/month, just incredible. Would have been 2001 or thereabouts.

15 hours ago, AxB said:

I was 17.

So, assuming a dorm room doesn't count as a house, I was 21.  But then I moved back in with the parents for a few months after finishing school, until I got a job.  At that point, when I moved out for good, I was 24.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AxB said:

I was 17.

I’m 31 and still live with my mother, but that’s mostly because we have a 3 bedroom house for 800 a month, and while neither of us could hold that down ourselves, together we can do it easily.

• Like 2

Got a text from my brother this morning that my Dad isn't traveling down for my Mom's funeral on Friday.  After a few minutes of me being furious, he calls me and turns out his doctor told him he can't travel and that his heart is beating super fast and won't stop.  They have him on meds right now but it looks like he's probably going to need to get a pacemaker sooner rather than later.  They are apparently running tests today to get it all figured out.  

I think I liked it better when I just thought he was an asshole who was skipping out on the funeral than the truth of what it really is.  

Edited by CSC
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

On 2/3/2020 at 1:08 PM, Joel Martin said:

In what should’ve been done many, many, many moons ago—will turn 43 in April—I’m finally moving out of my parents house; just received word I got approved for an apartment I’d been eyeing for months.

You're braver than I am for admitting that. I'm 39, so maybe I can be out before I hit 40. For a while, it just wasn't a big deal to me. I was single for a long time, so I didn't see a reason to leave. When I met my ex, she also lived with her parents. We would have gotten a place together before we got married, however our drinking and coke habits made sure that didn't happen. In the last few years, I've hit some speed bumps, both work and mental health related that have slowed my progress. Since I'm still at home, I help my mother take care of her mother, my soon to be 92 year old grandmother. 

For the record, I'm not the stereotypical wrestling fan. I don't have a neckbeard and I don't live in my parents basement. It's a split level house with no basement.

Yes, I feel like a tremendous loser admitting this.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 6

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
22 hours ago, AxB said:

I was 17.

Not sure if this counts, but I lived with my aunt during the summer when I was 14. Things weren't good at home (this was after conversion therapy attempt #1 failed), I needed to get away from them for a while, and they were glad to get rid of me for a couple of months, so off to my aunt I went. I probably shouldn't have gone back but I didn't have much say in the matter at the time.

8 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

So, assuming a dorm room doesn't count as a house, I was 21.  But then I moved back in with the parents for a few months after finishing school, until I got a job.  At that point, when I moved out for good, I was 24.

I'd forgotten until I saw this post. I have to change my answer to eighteen. My first year of college (2001-02) I rented a room in a house right down the street from campus. Myself, three other students, and the older man who owned the house. I moved back in with my mom during the summer and didn't leave again until I was 24. I'd gotten a job over the summer, and it was just easier to commute 45 minutes each day to school, and keep the job.

When I came back to New Jersey in December of 1989 after a year and a half of college, I was 19 and living with my Dad in the small little cottage we had down the shore. After about a year he moved in with my step-mom and then I rented the place from him for a few years. Then when I got married at 24, we bought the cottage from my Dad.

Fast forward to 2006, and after splitting up, my ex and I sold the place.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow