DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

At 40+ pages, the last thread was too long.   But to continue the positive vibes from the last one, @Stefanie the Human congrats on your surgery.  If it is what I think it is, I'm sure you'll be affirmed. ?  

As for the rest of you. . .  

• Like 8

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
9 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

At 40+ pages, the last thread was too long.   But to continue the positive vibes from the last one, @Stefanie the Human congrats on your surgery.  If it is what I think it is, I'm sure you'll be affirmed. ?  

?

The last few weeks have been a bit of a whirlwind for me. Lots and lots of paperwork to get done since my insurance is helping me out (and believe me, that has been a battle and a half). I also had to go to North Carolina for a roller derby tournament that was overwhelming for me. Fortunately I have a heckload of games ready for me on the Switch for the recovery. I never did start Breath of the Wild...

Follow-up to the last thread about my work situation....where my one owner wanted me fired over (male customer flipping out on me than whining to the owner over Text Message), had a third party involved. Last week she showed up and in front of my girlfriend, apologized for the guy that tried to get me fired being out of control and a total fucking embarrassment. I wrote a very professional letter (which took several re-writes because I was mad AF), demanding that my written warning be removed from my permanent record and the other owner (not the one with the hard-on to fire me), thanked me for my professionalism, apologized for the stress I've been put under, and removed the issue from my record.

So now I'm untouchable! Or something. Maybe I'm less stressed, at least.

giphy.gif

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Dewar said:

The gif puts that over the top. Glad everything got resolved for you. 

It's really hard to be a bartender and bouncer at a dive bar when "the next thing" is the last thing. You can't deal with and/or discipline rowdy drunks and cokeheads if any interaction could get you fired if some loser bitches to your owner or some troublesome chick bats her eyes at him. So that stress is gone. In all honesty, the one owner needs to just retire and fuck off. 

So took my father home from the hospital yesterday. The fluid hasn't fully left his body, but he does seem to be doing better. They did some sort of minor procedure not on the level of dialysis to help along with doing a biopsy in hopes of figuring out just what has been causing the problems he is having. They are trying to avoid dialysis if possible. While he does have chronic kidney disease none of this is stuff that should have been hitting him quite yet. He seems to be able to walk more w/o losing his breath, and he is peeing more so the lasix seem to be having more of an effect now. While the quiet was a bit nice while he was gone it is good to have him back. I'm not as worried about him health wise as I was a week or two ago. Now I just worry about figuring out his diet. He isn't one to cook, and the 3 or so things he did cook before he can't really eat regularly anymore.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 3

My mom's been a bit bummed for the last few days because we had to put down our Min Pin, Duke, about a week ago.  That's the thing about owning small cute dogs.  You treat them like puppies all of the time even when they are ancient and Duke was nearly twelve years old. 

Poor Duke was arthritic and was suffering from a lung disorder so putting him to sleep before those quality of life issues forced him to suffer was probably the best thing.  Animals love you unconditionally.  They don't complain about their ailments.   You have to be sensitive to those sort things and take care of them.

I'm experiencing some car issues two weeks after getting an oil change, so I am not looking forward to paying whatever it is that needs to be paid to get the issue resolved, but the repair bills pay for themselves over a few months since I don't have a car note. 

Let's just hope my beloved Scion TC makes it to the shop next Thursday since that is the earliest appointment the mechanic had.

I'm also dangerously close to beating the living shit out of one of my annoying co-workers because he is obviously mistaking restraint and professional courtesy for weakness and that is a potentially costly blunder, so pray for a brotha and hope I continue to embrace wisdom so that keeping it real won't go wrong.

If I have to get my Petersburg on, I will go through that mother fucker like a spoonful of Draino.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

52 minutes ago, J.T. said:

My mom's been a bit bummed for the last few days because we had to put down our Min Pin, Duke, about a week ago.  That's the thing about owning small cute dogs.  You treat them like puppies all of the time even when they are ancient and Duke was nearly twelve years old. 

Poor Duke was arthritic and was suffering from a lung disorder so putting him to sleep before those quality of life issues forced him to suffer was probably the best thing.  Animals love you unconditionally.  They don't complain about their ailments.   You have to be sensitive to those sort things and take care of them.

I'm experiencing some car issues two weeks after getting an oil change, so I am not looking forward to paying whatever it is that needs to be paid to get the issue resolved, but the repair bills pay for themselves over a few months since I don't have a car note. 

Let's just hope my beloved Scion TC makes it to the shop next Thursday since that is the earliest appointment the mechanic had.

I'm also dangerously close to beating the living shit out of one of my annoying co-workers because he is obviously mistaking restraint and professional courtesy for weakness and that is a potentially costly blunder, so pray for a brotha and hope I continue to embrace wisdom so that keeping it real won't go wrong.

If I have to get my Petersburg on, I will go through that mother fucker like a spoonful of Draino.

There is much to be said for allowing the stupid and venal to just continue being stupid and venal. Sooner or later someone else will do the work for you and your hands remain clean.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, OSJ said:

There is much to be said for allowing the stupid and venal to just continue being stupid and venal. Sooner or later someone else will do the work for you and your hands remain clean.

Now where's the fun in that?  Some mules won't plow straight unless you give them a kickin', but I hope it won't come to that.

I like being gainfully employed and this asshole is not worth going to jail over, much less being fired, so that is my motivation to Remain Calm and Drive On.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Now where's the fun in that?  Some mules won't plow straight unless you give them a kickin', but I hope it won't come to that.

I like being gainfully employed and this asshole is not worth going to jail over, much less being fired, so that is my motivation to Remain Calm and Drive On.

Well, short of the miscreant falling for the old "I learned something interesting in Muay Thai last weekend, let me show you!" Best to just allow them to self-destruct, it's fun to watch!

• Like 1

For the 5th time since my lease started in November, my apt has flooded. (Water heater springing a leak, neighbor having a pipe burst, ppl above me having a pipe burst, 2x poorly sealed chimney upstairs taking in water that seeps in thru the wall) My water heater broke on Friday after I left for work, so I have no hot water til tomorrow because the landlord won't go to Home Depot and insists on waiting til their preferred seller which is closed on Sat opens up. I feel trapped; I can't move without paying more for a 1b1b than I currently pay for a 2b2b because there is only one bus route that goes past my work and I will never be able to drive a car. And so 4-5 times a year I find myself sitting in an apartment that smells like rotting fruit (at least that's what wet carpet smells like to me) with industrial fans running for 72 hrs straight with everything shoved to the middle of my living room. So my electric bill will be 50 bucks higher than normal and I have to eat out 5 meals in a row because I can't wash dishes and I have to shower at Planet Fitness. I'm feeling more disabled than I have in a long time, and it sucks.

• Sad 4

18 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

For the 5th time since my lease started in November, my apt has flooded. (Water heater springing a leak, neighbor having a pipe burst, ppl above me having a pipe burst, 2x poorly sealed chimney upstairs taking in water that seeps in thru the wall) My water heater broke on Friday after I left for work, so I have no hot water til tomorrow because the landlord won't go to Home Depot and insists on waiting til their preferred seller which is closed on Sat opens up. I feel trapped; I can't move without paying more for a 1b1b than I currently pay for a 2b2b because there is only one bus route that goes past my work and I will never be able to drive a car. And so 4-5 times a year I find myself sitting in an apartment that smells like rotting fruit (at least that's what wet carpet smells like to me) with industrial fans running for 72 hrs straight with everything shoved to the middle of my living room. So my electric bill will be 50 bucks higher than normal and I have to eat out 5 meals in a row because I can't wash dishes and I have to shower at Planet Fitness. I'm feeling more disabled than I have in a long time, and it sucks.

I can't imagine... Well, yeah, actually I can... We moved because after two years we were no closer to having a master bathroom than when we moved in. Basically we had an unusable room with no floor and fixtures sticking out of the wall. If they had at least removed the plumbing fixtures and put a floor in I'd have been okay with that, (an extra bookroom is always a good thing). So we're in a a smaller place, but with a great landlord and no nonsense. When something goes wrong, he gets it fixed immediately, and since he's a Superior Court judge, when he says "Jump!" the repairmen ask "How high, sir?" . Would be nice to have an extra bedroom so I wouldn't have to pay for a storage unit, but it is what it is. The cats like it so it's all good.

Edited by OSJ
  • Thanks 1

There's this attractive woman who told her friends she likes me (told them to tell me she likes me), and I like her too. But there's a couple of snags. Firstly, I'm 100% straight edge, and she drinks and smokes (apparently just one cigarette a day, but that seems unlikely somehow). Secondly, she speaks very little English, and I speak like two words of Polish. So, that's tricky, yeah?

20 minutes ago, AxB said:

There's this attractive woman who told her friends she likes me (told them to tell me she likes me), and I like her too. But there's a couple of snags. Firstly, I'm 100% straight edge, and she drinks and smokes (apparently just one cigarette a day, but that seems unlikely somehow). Secondly, she speaks very little English, and I speak like two words of Polish. So, that's tricky, yeah?

Love Conquers All. It is possible to be a one cigarette a day person. Some people do that as a coping with work stress thing, though that can obviously expand into a nasty habit. The good news is it should be relatively easy to kick that. As far as the drinking goes, it would probably be something you could gauge after a short time together. I drank quite a bit before I met my 1st wife and that relationship changed me completely. Well, while we were together anyway. ?   

And I have a friend who married a Japanese woman who is passable in English and he is passable in Japanese and they are pretty much soul mates.

Bottom line: Go for it! Life is too short and there is always going to be something about a significant other that is less than perfect. 

Edited by Execproducer
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, AxB said:

I'm about 75% Straight Edge since I only drink socially and don't smoke.  I could deal with any new beau I hauled in taking the occasional drink, but not smoking.  It's like kissing an ashtray.

And I think my transmission is kaput.  If the repairs are over a grand, I'll be forced to get a new car on Thursday...  The hits just KEEP ON COMIN'~!

Edited by J.T.

8 hours ago, AxB said:

A friend of mine was great friends with this attractive Polish woman who would drink at times (and had a low tolerance so it wasn't often for her)  There were definitely signs they liked each other and she admitted to somebody she'd go out with him.  Well, he never did and once she realized that they drifted apart.  A month or so later myself and others played matchmaker and she married this awesome friend of ours and they're just perfect together.  So it worked out well for them but it destroyed the guy that didn't try.  Before that he felt there was a slight chance of him being with somebody.  Five years later he's given up all hope and is prepared to be a real life 40-year-old virgin (he's 38)

I know it's a bit different than your situation but long story short if there's something there it's at least worth going on a couple of dates.  I'm not saying not doing so will destroy you like it did my friend, but it's best to try instead of having regrets later on.

10 hours ago, AxB said:

I smoke, but I have known several what I call "social smokers" that smoke a couple or three cigs a day as part of a ritual, usually after meals or after a workout (yeah, that last one has always puzzled me a bit), anyway, go for it, you two can have a blast learning each other's language and love will conquer all. Don't be the lonely guy sitting around ten years from now wondering "what if?". Go for it! I did and we just celebrated 39 years together.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey. 

I am not having some good days, and going into SAD season is not going to help. I'm doing this without insurance and medication, which sucks. Mom is getting more ill and more combative, which sucks. I burst into ugly tears at the Star Wars trailer, because sometimes I wish I was there instead of here. So keep an eye on each other, folks. We're here. It's hard, but we're here.

• Like 4
  • Sad 4