DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

Here's hoping y'all stay well and safe! Kathy and I are both okay, I only leave the house for appointments to see the doc and the like. At my age with the COPD I'm pretty much a statistic if I get the COVID. We're just really, really careful, Kathy just goes to the store for necessary items and like I said, I don't go out much, if at all. In a morbid sort of way it's amusing listening to my sisters-in-law fuss about having to stay in and not go anywhere; yeah, welcome to my fucking world. Like I'm just dying to go to Wal-Mart and talk to the Trumpers passing out leaflets in front of the place. Our heater went out yesterday which was not amusing when it dropped down to six degrees at night, at least we had cats to help keep us warm. I'm not sure how this worked out, but Kathy wound up with seven cats and as usual, it was just me and Seven in the bed and Kathy and the gang on the couch. The furnace guy just finished up putting in the new filter which was what made the whole thing crash and it is getting nice and toasty in here. I was despairing of him getting it done today, as we were looking at 4:30PM without so much as a phone call. I knew that they needed a part over-nighted from Albuquerque, and you have to figure if an over-night shipment ain't there by noon, it's not coming, so like I said, I was pretty much resigned to another night of having the oven on and encouraging Seven to cuddle up when at 4:50, the furnace guy shows up and asks if it's okay to install the new filter today or would we prefer he comes back tomorrow... Yeah, didn't have to think about that one very long... 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, OSJ said:

Here's hoping y'all stay well and safe! Kathy and I are both okay, I only leave the house for appointments to see the doc and the like. At my age with the COPD I'm pretty much a statistic if I get the COVID.

That's how I've been acting, because of Mom. It would absolutely kill her. I've canceled most appointments except for the one she needed in order to get her refills and the one I had because I was worried about my tachycardia. We don't order in as much, and I usually only go out once a week. It's sucked for our depression, but it beats the fuck out of waking up and finding her dead.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JLSigman said:

That's how I've been acting, because of Mom. It would absolutely kill her. I've canceled most appointments except for the one she needed in order to get her refills and the one I had because I was worried about my tachycardia. We don't order in as much, and I usually only go out once a week. It's sucked for our depression, but it beats the fuck out of waking up and finding her dead.

I was pleased to learn that either the law has changed (or as I suspect, it was always so much bullshit), that I need to physically see my doctor once every three months in order to get my pain meds refilled. This has always been majorly annoying, as he is the most meticulous man alive, which means unless you have the 8AM appointment, you are going to wait and wait. It isn't at all unusual to have a 1PM appt stretch until 2-2:30 before actually seeing him and the visit itself consists of about ten minutes discussion of current events in MMA and boxing and about three minutes of questions about my health. While I love good discourse about MMA and/or boxing (and we are both huge Manny Pac fans), (my doc is from Manila originally and Manny is pretty much a god to all from the islands), anyway, much as I enjoy the conversations, I can do without the $50 co-pay and boxing chat when it takes up my entire afternoon for what is essentially a ten-minute visit that could have been handled over the telephone easily enough. 

Depression is such a weird thing, I could probably totally crush mine by increasing my meds, but I have to go to some pretty dark places creatively with the sort of thing that I write and I worry that a too-happy John couldn't get to those places when needed. It's something I've fought with for nearly forty years, thirty-two of which I've done sober, (that I made it to thirty-one without killing myself is in and of itself something of a miracle), anyway, having made the move to New Mexico (a place with actual seasons) has been a total eye-opener, Seattle was okay, but I could never, ever go back to the endless parade of gray days. Here, you may have snow on the ground and sixty degrees the next day, but for the most part there are discernable seasons and for someone from Seattle the novelty of that takes a long, long time to wear off. For an example, the cats are all crying to go out because the sun is out, however, it's only in the twenties and I know how this movie ends... They will all go trooping out and in three minutes they'll be howling at the back door wanting to come inside. Five minutes later, rinse, repeat. No, I'm not playing that game today. I just spent $140.00 at CHEWY.com getting cat-food, toys, and what-not, so you rascals can stay inside and play with some of your toys or take a nap or something...

It's been two months as of today, so I can finally type it and acknowledge the reality. Our little Sandor is gone and I'm pretty sure we won't see him again. After the mid-day nap the four boys (Jackpot, Seven, Sandor, & Spike) went trooping out as they generally do, returning home for dinner at 4:30 as per the usual. Only this time Sandor didn't come back, we didn't think much of it, he's a very finicky eater and will often show his disdain for the canned food by totally ignoring it (they have access to dry food 24/7, so it isn't really a big deal if they don't want their canned food, it's more of a treat than a necessity anyway). Anyway, when it got dark, it became somewhat of a concern because that's not like him, when he didn't show up at all it became a real concern. 

Only thing we can figure is that someone took him, Sandor was terrible about slipping out of his collar to the point that we had given up (between collar, personalized name-tag, etc. we're looking at about $16.00 and he's been known to go through three in a month, so we gave up). All of our other cats run from people not known to them, except Sandor who is super friendly, I imagine someone spotted him saw no collar and assumed he was a stray. He's been known to jump into vehicles and on at least one occasion got in the neighbors' car, rode out to Chinle (about an hour and half) and back and was apparently quite content to sit up front on the passenger side and sleep most of the way. Well, he brought us a lot of enjoyment in the five years he was with us and I imagine he'll do the same for his new family. With luck, he's going to a home where he's the only cat, as he always wanted to be in charge, but Jackpot and Seven were ahead of him in the pecking order. We miss him a lot, but the funny thing is that all of the other cats seem a lot more relaxed and mellow now that he's not here.  I had no idea how tense he made the others, but I guess he was always challenging Jackpot and Seven and chasing the girls. (He had no chance against Jackpot, who tips the scales at 21 lbs., Seven is just totally mellow, he went from being an incredible hunter to basically confine his activities to do a once a day walk around the perimeter of the house and then return to the bed.) So now we are eight, and that's probably about right. We've decided no more cats, Spike and Arrya will be two in May and they're the last, assuming normal lifespan, they'll outlive me. Jackpot and Seven turn eight this next year with Jorkens at 17 and Sumuru at 13 and Cersei at 9 with Sansa at 5.  

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Ryan said:

Cue 3 months from now and you somehow have fifteen cats all named after horror icons.

Well the naming thing went like this... 

Jorkens (after the Lord Dunsany character, we mistakenly thought she was a male when we got her...

Carnacki (RIP, her twin brother named after the William Hope Hodgson character)

Sumuru (after the Sax Rohmer femme fatale, basically a female version of Fu Manchu)

Jackpot & Seven (the big boys, born in Las Vegas, hence the names. Our neighbor was afraid to leave the very pregnant Bella at home when he needed to attend a work conference in Vegas so he brought her along and she gave birth in front of Cesar's Palace.)

Cersei & Sansa (the girls, named for GOT characters)

Spike and Arrya (the babies, they'll turn two on May 24th, Spike looks (and acts) like the reincarnation of his namesake who we had in Seattle and sadly lost to cancer. Arrya is of course named after GOT badass killer.

So oddly enough, no horror icons. One also must consider that one needs to call said cats from time to time and standing at the door yelling "Jackpot" gets the neighbors attention in an odd way. I can only imagine what it would be like to call for "Leatherface" or "Pinhead"...

16 hours ago, OSJ said:

Well the naming thing went like this... 

Jorkens (after the Lord Dunsany character, we mistakenly thought she was a male when we got her...

Carnacki (RIP, her twin brother named after the William Hope Hodgson character)

Sumuru (after the Sax Rohmer femme fatale, basically a female version of Fu Manchu)

Jackpot & Seven (the big boys, born in Las Vegas, hence the names. Our neighbor was afraid to leave the very pregnant Bella at home when he needed to attend a work conference in Vegas so he brought her along and she gave birth in front of Cesar's Palace.)

Cersei & Sansa (the girls, named for GOT characters)

Spike and Arrya (the babies, they'll turn two on May 24th, Spike looks (and acts) like the reincarnation of his namesake who we had in Seattle and sadly lost to cancer. Arrya is of course named after GOT badass killer.

So oddly enough, no horror icons. One also must consider that one needs to call said cats from time to time and standing at the door yelling "Jackpot" gets the neighbors attention in an odd way. I can only imagine what it would be like to call for "Leatherface" or "Pinhead"...

This is beside the point (and joking, obviously) but just for the sake of clarification from the topic on "Just Stuff" thread, can any of your feline family members verify your whereabouts on whenever it was when Robert C's bags of kitty litter got misplaced from their porch?

My hometown is on the NYT's top 10 list of cities with the fastest rising COVID cases in the nation. Our mayor is in the hospital with it, and city council members are openly mocking people who wear masks and take it seriously, both in-person at city council meetings and on social media.

• Sad 2

Ignorance and dipshits are everywhere. It's just like Smallpox and Polio, you just have to get the disease out of the way and you'll be fine! Ignore that mysterious pile over there. *hangs head*

Edited by Ryan

On 12/18/2020 at 3:04 AM, Shartnado said:

This is beside the point (and joking, obviously) but just for the sake of clarification from the topic on "Just Stuff" thread, can any of your feline family members verify your whereabouts on whenever it was when Robert C's bags of kitty litter got misplaced from their porch?

While swiping Robert's kitty litter may seem to be a good idea, we just took delivery of two huge boxes from Chewy.com, one was canned food, the other was litter, these guys should be able to eat and poop up a storm for close to a month. The tab was $140.00, we'll see how long it all lasts, obviously, I'm hoping close to a month. These little rascals eat better than we do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

(Apologies if this is about politics, it's not about *those* politics so hopefully it's ok)

So France is blocking lorries coming from the UK, which means they won't go in the first place. Now my partner's father is either in the UK, or he only just left - we don't know yet; he was in the queue at Calais on Thursday night so hopefully he got in and out.

But more generally, this is not good for Britain's short-term food supply. People aren't going to be starving on the streets, but people were already having to replan their Christmas at short notice so I expect there to be supermarket chaos.

Of course, the arguments over fish are still going on and some might consider me cyncical to connect the dots but I do.

Well played, Mr. Thomassoulo. I'll see you in hell Costanza. : seinfeld

"Well played, Monsieur Macron"
"I'll see you in hell, Boris"

People will here are aware of my mental health issues. On a whim, I decided to say I’m depressed on Facebook for the first time. I’m not sure whether I regret it or not. I’m leaning towards the former. Takes a lot to reveal something like that which is why I hadn’t for so long there.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I have been unable to find Stilton to have with my port and walnuts so Christmas is cancelled this year.

Sorry everyone, good effort and we'll try again next December.

Double Gloucestershire is much better you barbarian!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A bomb went off in Nashville this morning. Police are saying it’s intentional. Destroyed (but not collapsed) many businesses and buildings and apartments within a city block. Was detonated right in front of BB King’s Blues Club, I believe.

The eerie part is that it was inside of an RV and it broadcasted a loudspeaker message for anyone that could hear the message to evacuate immediately, then turned into a countdown, and then it exploded.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

A bomb went off in Nashville this morning. Police are saying it’s intentional. Destroyed (but not collapsed) many businesses and buildings and apartments within a city block. Was detonated right in front of BB King’s Blues Club, I believe.

The eerie part is that it was inside of an RV and it broadcasted a loudspeaker message for anyone that could hear the message to evacuate immediately, then turned into a countdown, and then it exploded.

I think BB King's is down 2nd Ave a little past where the explosion took place.

The building used to be Bellsouth.

Lots of cell service problems reported on WKRN facebook comments. Not sure if connected.

I live outside the city and slept through it all.

Anybody else seeing a lot of people say shit like, "How can I trust the covid-19 vaccine when it was so rushed?" or, "Why did it only take a year to get a covid-19 vaccine when years of cancer research haven't been as successful?" Well, here's a handy PBS story that explains it - I've shared it several times already, and maybe y'all can get some use out of it too! ?

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/years-of-research-laid-groundwork-for-speedy-covid-19-vaccines

• Like 1

Me and the rest of my family are all out of isolation, I was last one out with today being the first day I could leave the house again, and are pretty much over COVID now. It hit me and my wife with fatigue and body aches (muscle, joint and bone) I still cough once in a while but overall feel like myself again. It’s not a good time and I’m glad we had mild cases. Stay safe out there 

• Like 8

59 minutes ago, Sublime said:

Me and the rest of my family are all out of isolation, I was last one out with today being the first day I could leave the house again, and are pretty much over COVID now. It hit me and my wife with fatigue and body aches (muscle, joint and bone) I still cough once in a while but overall feel like myself again. It’s not a good time and I’m glad we had mild cases. Stay safe out there 

We were about the same as y’all. The fatigue is still there to a degree. I have zero stamina. Weirdest thing is I’m getting cold easily. I’m usually ridiculously cold tolerant. A few minutes ago I was freezing my ass off outside in 60 degree weather. Yeah I was barefoot in shorts and a t-shirt, but that’s definitely not normal for me. 

all I’m all, I feel blessed that we didn’t get hit hard, particularly my wife. Could’ve easily gone south, especially her. 

• Like 2

While watching Brian Zane’s review of The Authority storyline, I kept remembering how much fun I had reading the DVDVR board at the time. Though I did have a quick foray here within the last year, I have really wanted to return despite my internal criticism of my writing. Looking forward to a fun 2021 with the good dudes of DVDVR!

• Like 3

I suppose I've reached the closed-in recluse portion of my life. Which would have happened with or without a pandemic. 

I wish I could say I'm looking forward to something. It's not cynicism. It's not indifference. Resignation? I guess so.

It doesn't help that my health isn't great these days. Not much I can do about that until I'm working again, though.

I'm glad DVDVR is still a sanctuary for so many. I'm not as down on the place as I was several months ago, but a few around here left a bad mark. Even some who I got along with for years.

I dipped my toe back into the wrestling section. It's much better than it was, thankfully.

I don't hate it here, and I hope I don't come across that way. I have good memories. Maybe I'll have more one day. 

Wishing everyone a happy 2021. 

• Like 11

Since we needed one more sprinkle on the shit sundae that is 2020, my five year old, who is an absolute giant for his age, jumped on his mom's left knee and dislocated the kneecap.  Fortunately it's not too bad this time.  Still, not going to improve the last few days of her Christmas vacation.  Scared the hell out of my son, too.  Especially since I was on the way to the vet, and he had to call me to tell me his mom was hurt.

I've seen this happen to her twice before, but never on this knee.  Oddly enough, both previous times happened in hotels.  If you ever want to watch people panic, dislocate your kneecap in a tourist hotel.  If you REALLY want to watch people panic, do it in a hotel that's legally part of a hospital.  I had to spend 2 hours talking to hospital security and filling out we won't sue paperwork after that one.

• Sad 3

On 12/31/2020 at 5:17 PM, Burgundy LaRue said:

I suppose I've reached the closed-in recluse portion of my life. Which would have happened with or without a pandemic. 

I wish I could say I'm looking forward to something. It's not cynicism. It's not indifference. Resignation? I guess so.

It doesn't help that my health isn't great these days. Not much I can do about that until I'm working again, though.

I'm glad DVDVR is still a sanctuary for so many. I'm not as down on the place as I was several months ago, but a few around here left a bad mark. Even some who I got along with for years.

I dipped my toe back into the wrestling section. It's much better than it was, thankfully.

I don't hate it here, and I hope I don't come across that way. I have good memories. Maybe I'll have more one day. 

Wishing everyone a happy 2021. 

Ah, being a closed-in recluse has its advantages (at least here in a small town). On one of my very limited forays into the public I get treated like royalty. (Though I suppose that being recognized and treated like royalty by Asst. Pharmacists, RNs, and Physicians' Assts. has a bit of a dark side to it if you stop and think about it..)

Anyway, here's hoping all my peeps here are having a good start to 2021, the preceding year was pretty much a blight that we need to collectively forget as a species.

• Like 2