DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

So after initially being told my mother-in-law would pass away last week she went a full week and change before passing.  Just got the call and I know my wife will be devastated.  But considering all that was not done right at the rehab center I'm just so full of rage I can hardly contain it.  Those fuckers killed her and all that's left is to see to it that their incompetence doesn't kill anybody else.  So there's already an investigation and the lawsuit's going to come down hard on them.  But right now I'm just here alone and pissed off.  This should not have happened.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Sad 13

4 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

So after initially being told my mother-in-law would pass away last week she went a full week and change before passing.  Just got the call and I know my wife will be devastated.  But considering all that was not done right at the rehab center I'm must so full of rage I can hardly contain it.  Those fuckers killed her and all that's left is to see to it that their incompetence doesn't kill anybody else.  So there's already an investigation and the lawsuit's going to come down hard on them.  But right now I'm just here alone and pissed off.  This should not have happened.

So sorry, @NikoBaltimore. No wonder you're raging. Here if you need a natter.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

So after initially being told my mother-in-law would pass away last week she went a full week and change before passing.  Just got the call and I know my wife will be devastated.  But considering all that was not done right at the rehab center I'm just so full of rage I can hardly contain it.  Those fuckers killed her and all that's left is to see to it that their incompetence doesn't kill anybody else.  So there's already an investigation and the lawsuit's going to come down hard on them.  But right now I'm just here alone and pissed off.  This should not have happened.

So sorry, bro. I'm here 24/7 if you need an ear....

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2020 at 10:18 PM, twiztor said:

so, my birthday is October 24th. i turn 38 this year. i say that, not to fish for bday wishes, but to mention that every year, i have a 3-day party. we're talking every year for like 15ish years. but of course, this is 2020, so fuck your plans.

i've used this as a chance to reach out to friends that i've fallen out with. not because of bad blood, but just due to life. and i've reconnected (virtually....) with some cool ass people. it feels fucking great. some of these folks i was tight with until life happened. i didn't know how much i missed some of these dudes until i was talking to them again. 

now's the time. reach out. set something up. i don't care if it's a zoom call, a lunch meeting, after work drinks, or an online gaming session. make it happen. 

Don't wait. Couple of years back I reconnected with my friend Bill up in Eugene, OR, had a really nice chat. On the other hand, didn't make the call to my friend, Harlan, rationalizing that he might have been busy... The dude was like 83 years old, how fucking busy could he have possibly been? ;-(

• Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 10:34 AM, The Natural said:

My neurologist said my body has to work four times harder doing the exact same thing as someone without Cerebral Palsy. That really took me, my parents, sister and other people aback.

Amazing what one has to go through just to see some titties flashed... 

• Haha 1

Awesome, maybe @Kuetsar can help me figure out an issue I'm having with my oldest son. He's got a shitty participation grade that's apparently bad enough to lower him a letter grade.

I never got graded on participation so I'm not sure how this metric works. Last time he struggled with participation in a class he started just asking questions that he already knew the answer too. Doing that brought his grade up to an A.

He's going to class via these conference call meetings. He's doing his work which has been A/B quality. Why should participation be weighted so much that it could give him a C? Why are we grading kids on something that amounts to their personality?

I just imagine his teachers going: "Hmmmm time to fill out everyone's participation grades. Judy? A. Hans? B+. JaeDMC's kid? I don't remember him much. D."

Over here, participation usually is a big part of the grade in many subjects (the non-main subjects one, i.e. everything besides maths and languages), or at least it was when I was in school 20-30 years ago. We still had tests in geography, history, chemistry etc., but in the end teachers still gave grades that they deemed to be the right one. Some teachers had an open system, where they basically announced at the end of each lesson they announced who got a positive mark in their book for that hour, others probably made private notices and the more lazy ones probably twice a year went through that thought process you just mentioned. To be honest, even if the system seems arbitrary, I always felt that the grades I (and other students) got were pretty fair. Maybe you could argue for a grade up or down, but going by tests, there is always a decent amount of luck involved as well. But then again, these were the kind of subjects where teachers usually never let students fail (unless they really tried) and the question was, if you got and A, B or C (we have a five degree system over here, i.e. D is barely passed and E is failed - until a couple of years ago an E meant that you had to repeat the whole year, not just the single subject, so teachers usually only let students fail in "important" subjects).

I found out he was a hardcore fan a few days ago, but I was hanging out with my Ops Manager today and since he now knows I'm a wrestling nerd, he told me he was at every MSG show 2nd row in the 80s/90s and I have no reason to not believe him. He knows his shit. So, between him and my store manager being an ardent Cowboys fan, I am lucked out.

I only say this since I was trained today to be a manager on duty, as well as given a copy of the master key to the store to open. So, I am in very good graces and must be fucking doing something right, since I've only been there since July 1st.

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Like 6

This might work in the weather thread but it's wild to me that it feels like we're still transitioning from Summer to Fall over here. All I ask for is to at least be cold for Halloween. And with our new place in past years our neighborhood is one of the more popular places for Trick or Treating. So we'll see how things go this year but I really hope we're able to empty these candy bags. If not then we'll be eating these damn things until at least February. 

Edited by NikoBaltimore

Grandpa’s in hospice at home. He’ll die soon. Saw him and got to sponge-stick water and pink lemonade into his mouth. 

My mom’s kidneys are functioning at 50%. Good news is that’s just above needing constant dialysis. So wait and see how she does going forward. She almost died in January with a misdiagnosed UTI and I guess since then her kidneys have improved. Issue is with COVID world she’s very much in danger. Add on top of that her being a cancer survivor and her antibodies not being the best. 

Both my brothers live together and their other roommate got COVID. He also passed out in his room and smashed his head on a dresser which bled everywhere. So my brother drove him to the hospital to get stitched up. So he possibly has been infected, if not both. 

I’ve been working a lot of overtime. Pay will be nice but coming home at 2 a lot when you’re not use to it and having sleep issues can get to you.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

As tough as it can be seeing the ones we love on their deathbeds, you'll be glad you spent those last few moments with him. Seeing my grandma so weak she couldn't even lift her arms to hug me absolutely crushed me, but it gave me the chance to tell her I loved her one last time. I know how rough it can be, so you definitely have my sympathies (and for all the other rough stuff happening right now too). 

Hang in there. I'm a big believer in karma. If you weather all the rough shit that gets thrown your way, you'll eventually be rewarded (even if it doesn't feel like it now)

• Like 3

On 10/25/2020 at 7:12 AM, Octopus said:

Grandpa’s in hospice at home. He’ll die soon. Saw him and got to sponge-stick water and pink lemonade into his mouth. 

My mom’s kidneys are functioning at 50%. Good news is that’s just above needing constant dialysis. So wait and see how she does going forward. She almost died in January with a misdiagnosed UTI and I guess since then her kidneys have improved. Issue is with COVID world she’s very much in danger. Add on top of that her being a cancer survivor and her antibodies not being the best. 

Both my brothers live together and their other roommate got COVID. He also passed out in his room and smashed his head on a dresser which bled everywhere. So my brother drove him to the hospital to get stitched up. So he possibly has been infected, if not both. 

I’ve been working a lot of overtime. Pay will be nice but coming home at 2 a lot when you’re not use to it and having sleep issues can get to you.

Sorry you're having a rough time of it, @Octopus. Thinking of y'all.

On 10/25/2020 at 8:19 AM, BrianS81177 said:

As tough as it can be seeing the ones we love on their deathbeds, you'll be glad you spent those last few moments with him. Seeing my grandma so weak she couldn't even lift her arms to hug me absolutely crushed me, but it gave me the chance to tell her I loved her one last time. I know how rough it can be, so you definitely have my sympathies (and for all the other rough stuff happening right now too). 

Hang in there. I'm a big believer in karma. If you weather all the rough shit that gets thrown your way, you'll eventually be rewarded (even if it doesn't feel like it now)

I echo this.

7 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Why is it $175 for a Covid test? This country sucks. 

Supposed to be free.  I know lots of people who have had one, none of have ever been charged.

7 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Why is it $175 for a Covid test? This country sucks. 

Out of recent concern, I want to. But holy shit is that ridiculous.

A few months ago i thought i had symptoms and was able to get a free test the next day. Took about 10 minutes. I got the results (negative) 2 days later.

You should google free covid tests in your area.

Even if you don't actually have symptoms,  you shouldn't feel bad about lying about it.