DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

2 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

TIL what "dunnage" means.

On the grilling tip, I need to preach about the greatness of lighter cubes.  How I just learned about these things after grilling for over a decade is beyond me. 

I grill with natural lump charcoal and a chimney starter, and nothing sucks like having the newspaper at the bottom of the starter inexplicably go out without igniting the charcoal and waste like 20 minutes of grilling time.  Lighter cubes are some demonic mixture of excellerant and wax that you light, then put the chimney starter on top of them.  They don't go out and they don't impart their gas stink onto the charcoal.  And they're cheap.  That's today's public service announcement among the madness and impending race war. 

I can cosign this.  For a chimney starter hack, spray the paper with a little cooking spray before you light it.  The oil makes the paper burn longer and you don't get the issue with it burning out before your charcoal is lit.

• Like 1

Regarding shipping mistakes, I have two. This isn't meant to be an overshare, but I ordered a bullet journal (it's a type of journal that's good for folks with ADHD) and some protein powder from Amazon. Amazon sent me both of those and...a Magic Wand vibrator. So that was weird.

The cooler shipping mistake came from MLB Shop. A couple years ago I ordered a Cubs World Series t-shirt and hat. They sent me 4 of the same t-shirt and 4 of the same hat. I ordered an XL shirt and they sent me 2 XL shirts and 2 XXL shirts. All 4 hats were the same size, but not the size I ordered. So I still have 4 6 7/8" fitted WS champions hats that'll never fit my head. I still need to sell two of them and hold on to the other two for my daughter and just to hold onto.

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

Regarding shipping mistakes, I have two. This isn't meant to be an overshare, but I ordered a bullet journal (it's a type of journal that's good for folks with ADHD) and some protein powder from Amazon. Amazon sent me both of those and...a Magic Wand vibrator. So that was weird.

3kn6e9.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, tbarrie said:

I have a dozen titanium sporks because Thinkgeek.com inexplicably sent twelve instead of one.

Was this when they were going out of business or before that?

Just now, Craig H said:

Was this when they were going out of business or before that?

I think it was before. They were actually a gift from my brother - he wasn't sure what to do with the other eleven, so he just gave me the whole pile.

Maybe that's why they went out of business. They exceeded their titanium spork budget.

• Haha 1

I've been having psychological issues lately. I don't want to go too much into detail but suffice to say my massive downturn in posting over the last week has been largely in part to me being busy seeking professional help. Lately I've also just been cutting down a bit on online time in general. I'm trying out some medications that can hopefully get me back on track.

I just want to say that as a long time member here I appreciate what a welcome distraction it has been for me over the years, especially during a 2020 that has been a really hard year on me.

I'm not looking for sympathy or pats on the back. I just felt like sharing here since I probably have as much of an online stamp here as I do anywhere. All I ask of people is that if you know people in your life having mental health troubles, I know they can be a challenge to deal with. But please try and remember, whether it's someone with a mild case of OCD or an elderly person fighting dementia, or any of the thousands of points in between, none of us asked to get sick. Just treat people with some compassion.

• Like 11

Just now, Andy in Kansas said:

I’m pretty sure I can’t engage without getting banned. Best of luck, America. I’m out. 

Can I come live with you? We can watch Charlotte matches all day, I don't care! ?

• Haha 3

There's pretty much no good outcome of this. If he survives it's going to become a boon for him and probably increases his election chances greatly. You know he's going to claim that having it was no big deal, because he's can't be weak, strengthening the beliefs of the people who think the pandemic is overblown. Currently Q people are going crazy online thinking this is the start of the storm, if he dies they will claim it was a Democratic assassination plot and who knows what happens then.

I hope I'm wrong.

I don't wish or hope anything severe on anyone that gets this, but would this qualify as a form of irony or just a logical outcome of how exposed he always is to everyone and everything that could make someone sick?

• Like 1

I wasn't going to say anything considering Jae's reminder two days ago.  And for all I know I'd have just said something like "Oh, sweet irony!"  But then I went elsewhere (Ars Tecnica for those curious) and the person that said this is on the money.

"I’m going to effectively re-post what I said elsewhere. I go back and forth nearly constantly about whether I think that he is telling the truth. But, presuming it’s true, I will not be wishing for his death. I will, however, wish that he has to live worrying and wondering, panicking at every sniffle, sneeze, or cough. Having to accept that at the second there’s a significant sign of a symptom, he’s going to have to be rushed to a hospital, where he’ll have a ventilator standing by, not knowing until they force him into it whether it’ll be medically necessary.

I don’t wish him death. I wish him FEAR. I wish him to know the abject terror many people are feeling right now."

Edited by NikoBaltimore
Are quote tags not working now? Can't seem to format or do much else with the text.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I think we'll just leave it at that ladies and gents.

Dammit, I planned on disrupting this shit for the second time this week.  

With that said, I've been distancing myself from people since last Friday because I went to an outdoor socially distanced wedding.  I can't tell you how fucking paranoid I've been for the last week.  I feel perfectly fine, but I've been having trouble sleeping wondering whether or not I'm going to end up with the virus.  It sucks.  Seriously, I haven't really gone anywhere else this entire time, was only around people I know have been socially distancing, and I'm still worried about whether I'm going to end up sick.  This is legitimately the most life altering event in my 39 years.  I went to the wedding, because I really wanted to be there for my friends, but I don't think I'd do it again.  Which sucks, because as of now, nothing has even happened.  

30 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Dammit, I planned on disrupting this shit for the second time this week.  

With that said, I've been distancing myself from people since last Friday because I went to an outdoor socially distanced wedding.  I can't tell you how fucking paranoid I've been for the last week.  I feel perfectly fine, but I've been having trouble sleeping wondering whether or not I'm going to end up with the virus.  It sucks.  Seriously, I haven't really gone anywhere else this entire time, was only around people I know have been socially distancing, and I'm still worried about whether I'm going to end up sick.  This is legitimately the most life altering event in my 39 years.  I went to the wedding, because I really wanted to be there for my friends, but I don't think I'd do it again.  Which sucks, because as of now, nothing has even happened.  

I hear you. My wife and I had several discussions about this because she felt she needed to go to a memorial service for two cousins that passed away. It's not a fun conversation because whatever answer you choose you feel like a piece of shit.

I can't even imagine if my Mom had passed a month later than she did and we would have had to either a) not do a service, or b) do one virtually.

I'm still having a hard enough time dealing with it, I can't even imagine where I would be without having had that day with my entire family there celebrating her.  

• Like 2