DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

I think I'm lucky regarding Nextdoor. I haven't seen any racist people in my subdivision or surrounding ones. I mean, I already know that plenty of my neighbors are old, rich, white, pieces of trash, but they don't seem to take that shit online on Nextdoor anyway. Although, I am waiting for this one particular neighbor to go online who stopped in front of my house on her old lady walk, shook her head, and then took a picture of my black lives matter garden flag. Thankfully, we also have plenty of decent people in my neighborhood. My one neighbor down the street, someone that I should point is also a Cubs fan, has been parking his SUV on the street and wrote not only Black Lives Matter on the back window of the SUV, but also the names of black people killed by the police. He's a good dude.

Anyway, most of what I see on Nextdoor in my area are people posting shit like, "HAS ANYONE LOST THEIR DOG/CAT" or "THIS DOG KEEPS POOPING IN MY YARD!" or "anyone want to buy this shit in my basement and take it away for me?" or "my kids are great babysitters and dogwalkers!"

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Six String Orchestra said:

I made the terrible, awful decision to download Nextdoor. 2 months I've learned my neighbors are all super racist. So I deleted it. In fact I should probably delete all social media and rely on this board for all my news. 

I post on it pretending to be your neighbor. A brick to the head is the least you deserve for refusing to shave those sideburns!

20 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Nextdoor is the only social media I've been banned from and I feel pretty good about that.

Soliciting your neighbors is ill-advised.

7 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

This has been something I've used way, way too many times this year alone.

giphy.gif

Hence Patton Oswalt's bit about Florida being my go to for several years now.

• Like 2

Monday, my Dad couldn't get back on the company's server so rang his boss and someone else. Somebody then rang Dad as he'd been made redundant. My Dad then found out the company has gone into administration and he's lost his job. What a shit way to find out, an hour before an official announcement to a 60 year old man who had loyally worked there for 32 years. My Dad deserved better dammit.  Dad's company e-mail has gone so he can't access his account either. Cunts.

So 2020: we lost a family friend to coronavirus, a dear friend of mine almost died with this, I'm in physical and mental pain, the charity shop I volunteer at is closing from COVID-19 and my Dad's lost his job because of it. Fuck this fucking year. Fuck it.

Edited by The Natural
  • Sad 11

I know it does you no good, but you really are in my thoughts and prayers @The Natural. It's a bullshit year, but you and yours are getting it from every direction and it's fucking horseshit and I hope it stops soon. Without tipping my hand too much, the crash in '08 (even though the Canadian government did a semi-decent job of mitigating the worst of it) led to my father being forced into an early retirement where he had no chance at the full pension he'd been working towards for decades -- he was cut off at the five yard line. And even today, his compensation is in constant jeopardy, especially during this pandemic. Anyone who'd cast someone aside so callously after that long has my utmost contempt, and it seems your father's employer qualifies for such contempt. I know it does you no good and it's impotent rage on my part, but I feel your pain seeing your father done like that. Fuck those motherfuckers. Fuck anyone who'd act so cavalier with employees of decades.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

I know it does you no good, but you really are in my thoughts and prayers @The Natural. It's a bullshit year, but you and yours are getting it from every direction and it's fucking horseshit and I hope it stops soon. Without tipping my hand too much, the crash in '08 (even though the Canadian government did a semi-decent job of mitigating the worst of it) led to my father being forced into an early retirement where he had no chance at the full pension he'd been working towards for decades -- he was cut off at the five yard line. And even today, his compensation is in constant jeopardy, especially during this pandemic. Anyone who'd cast someone aside so callously after that long has my utmost contempt, and it seems your father's employer qualifies for such contempt. I know it does you no good and it's impotent rage on my part, but I feel your pain seeing your father done like that. Fuck those motherfuckers. Fuck anyone who'd act so cavalier with employees of decades.

It does me good knowing there's people out there that care about you, @Andy in Kansas. Thank you for your post, it's very much appreciated. I'm sorry about the mistreatment of your Dad.

Edited by The Natural
  • Sad 1

Not the same, but my father's employer of 35 years basically ran him into the ground by having doing the job of two people for a very long time in his 50s up to the point he literally passed out at work by feinting one day due to stress and what-not.

He was working 55-60+ hour weeks at one point for 40 hour pay with no OT and no help. They finally got someone to help him at least, someone he basically trained to replace him I guess and took early retirement at 62, so at least there's that.

Oh and yes, they did replace him with two people who probably made less than 2/3 of what he did. They had college degrees, he never saw day one of higher ed past HS. A different time that's for sure. I'm not even sure either guy is still in the company anymore. Probably not.

He's 69 now, so at least he's out-lived his father who was too damn stubborn to get surgery or do anything about his heart after he retired and ended up dying after a 2nd or 3rd Heart Attack. Stubborn ass old farmer. I was scared he wouldn't make it past retirement age for awhile.

My family is lucky as my dad retired just as the business he worked for started to go under, and my mom just retired a couple weeks ago. 

So what did they do? Promptly go on vacation to FLORIDA and get stuck for a day on the way back in the DALLAS/FT. WORTH AIRPORT. 

If we get sick soon I'll be eating my words. 

Anywho, Re: Nextdoor, I don't need that to know my neighbors are trash. I live in a corn field so I shouldn't be surprised but I've seen multiple Immortan Joe signs, an Immortan Joe flag that read "STOP THE SHIT" (the irony), a Confederate flag flown from a house behind a fence reading "No Trespassing", and... drumroll please... a decal on the back of a guy's truck I've seen in town twice now that reads "WPWW" (White Pride World Wide). 

Yeah. 

EDIT: And because I live in Illinois, childish people with signs that read "PRITZKER SUCKS"

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Anywho, Re: Nextdoor, I don't need that to know my neighbors are trash. I live in a corn field so I shouldn't be surprised but I've seen multiple Immortan Joe signs, an Immortan Joe flag that read "STOP THE SHIT" (the irony), a Confederate flag flown from a house behind a fence reading "No Trespassing", and... drumroll please... a decal on the back of a guy's truck I've seen in town twice now that reads "WPWW" (White Pride World Wide). 

I don't remember any of that from Field of Dreams.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah. 

EDIT: And because I live in Illinois, childish people with signs that read "PRITZKER SUCKS"

I was going to ask where the hell you lived till you mentioned rural Illinois, and then all became clear.  Spent 3 weeks there (southwest of Joliet).  Never was sure if it's legally required there to include n***** in every sentence, or just strongly recommended

I don't need next door to tell me about my neighbors.  I have the news.  I've probably posted some of this before.  I live on what looks like a relatively normal residential street.  Maybe 30 houses total.  All these folks have lived on on our street

- Charity director who stole a shit ton of cash, then fled to Venezuela https://www.statesman.com/article/20130514/NEWS/305149652 (always wondered why these folks needed 5 Lexuses, BMWs, Mercedes all at the same time)

- guy who somehow managed to owe the federal government $100 million https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/stories/2002/07/22/story1.html

- University of Texas coach fired for having an affair with one of her athletes https://www.cnn.com/2013/01/06/sport/texas-track-coach-resigns/index.html (side note, she was clearly right that she wouldn't have been fired if she wasn't African American and female, no matter what the university legal person in the article, who happens to be a cousin of mine, says)

- ABC helpfully made a reality show focused on showing how intolerant my neighbors are.  Filmed it six or seven houses down from us.  Apparently they were too vile even for reality TV, and the show never got aired.    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welcome_to_the_Neighborhood_(TV_series)

1 hour ago, Robert C said:

- ABC helpfully made a reality show focused on showing how intolerant my neighbors are.  Filmed it six or seven houses down from us.  Apparently they were too vile even for reality TV, and the show never got aired.    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welcome_to_the_Neighborhood_(TV_series)

I wanna see this.  

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

And I thought Austin was supposed to be the nicest part of Texas. Ha...

It's not 1986. Compare and contrast to the rest of the state though. I'm sure it's still nice by comparison to the majority of it. I bet the real estate market in @Robert C's neighborhood is interesting.

52 minutes ago, Tabe said:

I wanna see this.  

I could come live with you and stir up some issues with the neighbors if you want.

Unless it aired overseas or someone got ahold of it through nefarious means, since it never aired in the US, I would imagine anyone who saw it had a review copy.

18 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I could come live with you and stir up some issues with the neighbors if you want.

That's a generous offer but already have four in the house - and I don't have any kids.  I'm good.

I could live in the yard(or wherever) and pay for my own food and what not. ALL FOR THE SAKE OF THE SHOW!

Edited by Ryan

2 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Unless it aired overseas or someone got ahold of it through nefarious means, since it never aired in the US, I would imagine anyone who saw it had a review copy.

Probably.  They actually had a showing for the neighborhood after everybody freaked out about it.  Didn't go, though.

16 minutes ago, Ryan said:

It's not 1986. Compare and contrast to the rest of the state though. I'm sure it's still nice by comparison to the majority of it. I bet the real estate market in @Robert C's neighborhood is interesting.

Yeah, Austin is pretty much mini Dallas at this point, with a "weird" theme park around South Congress.  The market around us isn't really insane.  My parents house in north Austin is probably worth 12-13 times what they paid for it.  The area they lived where I was born is even crazier.  My dad used to shoot rats in the garage during commercial breaks.  Now there are multi million dollar houses on that street.