DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

5 hours ago, supremebve said:

(...) Seriously, almost every other country has this shit under control, because they are willing to stay home and wear masks without calling it a deep state conspiracy.  (...)

I am sad to say that this is not a US-specific phenomena. I am still shuddering thinking about what I have heard very intelligent people say over the last couple of months in that regard. The only difference might be that people here mostly grumble but in the end follow the rules to a certain degree for some time.

I'm reading that as someone who was waving the Confederate flag showing up to Gettysburg to prevent a group from burning the Antifa flag. I know that's not what you meant, but it's still funny regardless.

• Haha 1

On 6/30/2020 at 12:12 PM, The Natural said:

It was my Mum's six year anniversary on Friday and the boss at the charity shop I volunteer at for those with mental health issues asked if I could speak with her about the shop.  I explained that it wasn't ideal because of Mum's anniversary so she'd ring me Monday. Good job because I was told the shop will be having a closing down sale and won't reopen because of coronavirus/social distancing. The manager thanked me for my service down there. So yesterday was shit and I'm feeling low today as well. I'm gutted. The whole month of June and the first week of July putting Mum to rest always fucking sucks. To my Facebook friends, please don't mention it on Facebook. I might at some point but not now. Thanks.

I had my last shift at the charity shop yesterday. It was one of if not the busiest shift I’ve had. It was kind hearing customers say how sad they were about the shop’s closure and wishing us well. We felt the same way. I’m already missing the people I worked with and the community I tried to help. The biggest draw to me about the Cellar Trust and specifically the shop was how it helps those with mental health issues, me included.

Edited by The Natural
  • Sad 3

My bubble is collapsing.

One of the housekeepers at work was just sent home yesterday for two weeks for being in direct contact with a family member who just got tested positive for COVID.

Then got a call that my friends daughter's vet office where she works just had a confirmed case with a co-worker she had direct contact with a week ago.  We've seen her twice since then including being at their house all night a few days ago sitting maybe 2 feet from her.  

And I get to keep coming into work despite CA shutting us down to the public because our president is an old, workaholic asshole who can't understand why people wouldn't want to come into the office every day right now.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CSC said:

And I get to keep coming into work despite CA shutting us down to the public because our president is an old, workaholic asshole who can't understand why people wouldn't want to come into the office every day right now.  

This is pretty much my situation.  I only have to go into the office every other week, but it is completely based on people in management who want to get back into the office and away from their kids.  Honestly, that's the reason they told us.  I don't have any kids, my pull out game is strong, why am I going back to the office?

• Haha 4

51 minutes ago, supremebve said:

This is pretty much my situation.  I only have to go into the office every other week, but it is completely based on people in management who want to get back into the office and away from their kids.  Honestly, that's the reason they told us.  I don't have any kids, my pull out game is strong, why am I going back to the office?

My wife's boss is has been pushing to get her back into the office, even though she maybe came in once a month before shit hit the fan, she doesn't work with anybody in our time zone, much less at our site (her boss is two time zones away), and she was diagnosed with cancer five years ago.  Fortunately the need to keep the folks that do the actual work on site means top level management isn't messing around and has hardcore rules on who can and cannot go in.  She's not setting foot in in the place this year.

It’s 12:48am and I’m laying in bed, awake thinking about ice cream. I know my wife has a tub of vanilla in the freezer and we have Oreos on top of the cupboard. I could smash those up in a bowl with ice cream. But I know I won’t sleep again tonight. I think about food too much. Pre-married pre-COVID world me would have probably an hour ago went out for wings and beer. Buffalo wings and a big cold mug of Summit EPA. I do have beer in the fridge. A few wrongly poured growlers I got from my brother for free. Also some Rolling Rocks. I might even have a Hopslam left. Next to the ham. Which if I don’t want the ice cream I could make myself a sandwich. Not as bad as ice cream. It’s a 1am compromise I could make. I’m tired though. I’ve gained weight and I’m not active. If I do the ham I might put some hot sauce on there because I’m thinking of wings. Maybe I’m just afraid of sleep. I create these nighttime situations because I don’t want to shut my brain off. But I guess that doesn’t explain why I still think about food during the day. Maybe not as much though. Now I want ramen noodles and whiskey. I get winded going up the stairs. I should start jogging again. I just need to wear sunscreen when I do. My pale Nordic skin gets wrecked in this weather. Hot weather like this goes well with ice cream. I do have Oreos. I’m so tired and regularly ashamed of myself. I’ll make a sandwich.

• Like 6

I dropped a 55 gallon drum on my pointer finger and somehow it isn’t broken. So that’s cool I guess. But I did almost cut my nipple off the other night when I fell off a shelf and the metal grates on the shelves cut my chest. And last week I dropped a servo motor on my right forearm, but somehow it only caused light bruising.

The OSHA gods are protecting me.

I’m ready for this week to be over with, I hate this goddamn shift. My body hurts, but I can’t tell if that’s from all the physical labor, or that I’ll be 31 on Friday and I’m inching closer and closer to death.

This has been a week of slaughter and bloodshed. Now that we've decided the little cats (Spike and Arya) are big enough to go in and out  Jackpot (the boss cat, he who rules with an iron paw), has decided it is time for seminars in the art of killing small creatures. So far he's averaging two lizards a day, augmented by a sparrow, a mouse, and today's big surprise, a full-grown prairie dog. He brings his still-living victims back to the house and shows the little cats the finer points of tossing your prey up in the air and batting it around until dead. I don't care about the skinks, though I usually have a soft spot for reptiles, skinks are as stupid as a box of rocks and we have plenty of them. I did see Jackpot facing off with a full-grown chuckwalla which immediately went into defense mode, doing chuckwalla things like flattening itself out to look bigger and hissing in a rather menacing fashion. Jackpot couldn't figure out what to do with a lizard of that size and the chuckwalla knew better than to attack a twenty-lbs cat, so  both turned and went their separate ways.  This encounter is likely what prompted the prairie dog killing. There's a big vacant double or triple lot on the next block where the drunks go to drink and  Jackpot goes to watch the drunks drink and while I knew that there was a bunch of prairie dogs there, he'd never bothered them before. I guess this is part of his "No Cat Left Behind" program. In this case, I think the poor thing bled out while being dragged back to the house.

Oh yeah, I did rescue a horned lizard as I think they are just as cool as fuck and in Navajo tradition there's a better than average chance that one of your ancestor's souls now inhabits the body of a horned lizard. They are feisty little things, at the first sign of danger they flatten themselves out to look bigger and hiss up a storm while squirting blood from their eye-sockets. So we yelled "Jackpot, NO! That might be Grandpa!" Anyway, I'm thankful that we don't get tarantulas here (they don't like the vibration of cars driving by). Same deal with the scorpions. My younger sister-in-law has to worry about black widows, (Naschetti is infested with the damn things.) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Am I crazy for thinking that ruling is a bigger deal than the other toothless Supreme Court decisions that everyone’s been treating like headline news all day? It definately makes for more interesting reading and will almost certainly have a larger impact. If only the media could stop being obsessed with youknowwho for a second.

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Am I crazy for thinking that ruling is a bigger deal than the other toothless Supreme Court decisions that everyone’s been treating like headline news all day? It definately makes for more interesting reading and will almost certainly have a larger impact. If only the media could stop being obsessed with youknowwho for a second.

Yes and no. While the majority's opening paragraph is *chef's kiss*, let's be real: they're not gonna enforce this on tribal lands in Massachusetts. 

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

I agree, but that shit is legitimately suspicious.

Depends on which part. Absurdly expensive shit, redundant products, and price jumps when you enter something in a text field might raise questions. But as far as I can tell, that's about all these people have found. From there, it seems they're working backwards from a conclusion they've already arrived at.

The unfortunate-looking pictures everyone's pulling up by plugging in stock keeping unit numbers on the Russian search engine seem suspicious. But it's only grabbing those results based on the text from that Tom Hanks instagram photo that everyone's adding to the SKUs. This seems to be because three of the letters from the Hanks post in that particular search engine are grabbing photos from shady sites that would otherwise be filtered out on other search engines. If you change the SKUs or just type in any random alphnumeric with those three letters, people are getting similar results. So those results almost certainly have nothing to do with Wayfair.

The connections people are drawing between product names and specific missing children are also tenuous. It seems all they're doing is connecting any single name on an expensive product and then searching for a missing child whose first or last name matches it. The problem here is the unfortunate fact that there are so many missing children that it means you can do this with pretty much any name on a product, meaning the process of these amateur sleuths is proving nothing. 40,000 children went missing in Canada alone last year, the large majority of which are categorized on the government's website as being runaways or for unknown reasons. That number becomes enormous when you consider the numbers everywhere every year. These people pointing to specific missing children is them cherrypicking from an unfortunately massive sample and trying to make the fit their narrative. And considering the real people behind those children they're singling out, the parents who could be traumatized by seeing their son or daughter dragged into this paranoid fever dream, what they're doing is incredibly tasteless and irresponsible and flies in the face of the good they think they're doing. But once again, certainly nothing to do with Wayfair.

To put a bow on the last two paragraphs, if I'm ordering a specific trafficked child then why does the Russian search engine yield so many different results? And why can nobody connect the specific missing children with anything on the Russian site? If these people would stop breathlessly seeing elite pedos around every corner and think this through, what they're suggesting doesn't really make a lot of sense or prove anything.

Some people seem to think they see things in company logos that signal trafficking of some kind, but it's also tenuous. I'll engage with that if they can show me more interesting proof than straight-up big-brained Pizzagate nonsense. 

So, what's to be gained from having this trafficking operation so out in the open? No clue. Maybe we can tie satanic panic into this and assume it has to do with lesser magic. Fuck if I know. 

What does Tom Hanks have to do with this? No fucking clue. And I spent way too much time yesterday trying to unpack it. The spray paint on the road he photographed could mean any number of things related to utilities or some other infrastructure purpose. I'm not seeing anything there that really makes sense of Tom's place as one of Q's big villains.

Anyway, throw some tenuous connections to Soros and the Clintons on top because those always offer definitive proof of wrongdoing in these circles. Don't think about it too hard. 

Sorry for going into all of that. But I'm not a fan of how uncritically so many people eat this stuff up. It's dangerous for so many people to be living in complete alternate realities, some compelled to take dramatic (and even violent) action against their perceived villains. And this weak Soros-is-Palpatine LARPing does nothing to help the cause of actually fighting sex trafficking, which they purport to be staunchly against. 

But yeah, there's definitely some overpriced junk on Wayfair. Some of it's probably just placeholder listings. I'll give 'em that.

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Depends on which part. Absurdly expensive shit, redundant products, and price jumps when you enter something in a text field might raise questions. That might be interesting. But as far as I can tell, that's about all these people have found. From there, it seems they're working backwards from a conclusion they've already arrived at.

The unfortunate-looking pictures everyone's pulling up by plugging in stock keeping unit numbers on the Russian search engine seem suspicious. But it's only grabbing those results based on the text from that Tom Hanks instagram photo that everyone's adding to the SKUs. This seems to be because three of the letters from the Hanks post in that particular search engine are grabbing photos from shady sites that would otherwise be filtered out on other search engines. If you change the SKUs or just type in any random alphnumeric with those three letters, people are getting similar results. So those results almost certainly have nothing to do with Wayfair.

The connections people are drawing between product names and specific missing children are also tenuous. It seems all they're doing is connecting any single name on an expensive product and then searching for a missing child whose first or last name matches it. The problem here is the unfortunate fact that there are so many missing children that it means you can do this with pretty much any name on a product, meaning the process of these amateur sleuths is proving nothing. 40,000 children went missing in Canada alone last year, the large majority of which are categorized on the government's website as being runaways or for unknown reasons. That number becomes enormous when you consider the numbers everywhere every year. These people pointing to specific missing children is them cherrypicking from an unfortunately massive sample and trying to make the fit their narrative. And considering the real people behind those children they're singling out, the parents who could be traumatized by seeing their son or daughter dragged into this paranoid fever dream, what they're doing is incredibly tasteless and irresponsible and flies in the face of the good they think they're doing. But once again, certainly nothing to do with Wayfair.

To put a bow on the last two paragraphs, if I'm ordering a specific trafficked child then why does the Russian search engine yield so many different results? And why can nobody connect the specific missing children with anything on the Russian site? If these people would stop breathlessly seeing elite pedos around every corner and think this through, what they're suggesting doesn't really make a lot of sense or prove anything.

Some people seem to think they see things in company logos that signal trafficking of some kind, but it's also tenuous. I'll engage with that if they can show me more interesting proof than straight-up big-brained Pizzagate nonsense. 

So, what's to be gained from having this trafficking operation so out in the open? No clue. Maybe we can tie satanic panic into this and assume it has to do with lesser magic. Fuck if I know. 

What does Tom Hanks have to do with this? No fucking clue. And I spent way too much time yesterday trying to unpack it. The spray paint on the road he photographed could mean any number of things related to utilities or some other infrastructure purpose. I'm not seeing anything there that really makes sense of Tom's place as one of Q's big villains.

Anyway, throw some tenuous connections to Soros and the Clintons on top because those always offer definitive proof of wrongdoing in these circles. Don't think about it too hard. 

Sorry for going into all of that. But I'm not a fan of how uncritically so many people eat this stuff up. It's dangerous for so many people to be living in complete alternate realities, some compelled to take dramatic (and even violent) action against their perceived villains. And this weak Soros-is-Palpatine LARPing does nothing to help the cause of actually fighting sex trafficking, which they purport to be staunchly against. 

But yeah, there's definitely some overpriced junk on Wayfair. I'll give 'em that.

The thing that is most suspicious to me is that Wayfair does not sell anything, they basically facilitate sells between 3rd parties.  They are perfectly set up to actually do the things that this conspiracy theory is accusing them of doing.  We all know sex trafficking is a major problem, but it doesn't get to be such a large problem without some sort of logistical network.  I'm not saying that Wayfair is that logistical network, but they are selling relatively large cheap items for vastly inflated prices on a website that would theoretically allow them to put children in those cheap items and ship them around the country. These people don't actually have any evidence that this is what is happening, but the dots connect very easily.  The issue is pretty much what you said before.  This isn't some serious investigation, this is some weirdo on their computer who has a theory and is using the internet to support the theory without taking into consideration any reason their theory may be false.