DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

Buying new cars...ugh.  My new car was my first dealership experience and I basically wanted to nuke the place from orbit afterwards.  I mean, I already knew how obnoxious it was going to be, but it met every expectation.

My big issue was that my old car got worse so quickly that I had to make plans on the fly, so my down payment was all but tied up in an online savings account.  I couldn't just get a check because that would have taken days, plus it was the weekend, so all I could do was get a wire transfer put through first thing Monday.  When I told their finances guy that, he looked at me like I'd grown three heads and blustered around for 45 minutes, wasting my fucking time, before I finally told the guy, "Look, that's where my money is and it's how you're getting it.  You can take it, or I can walk.  Pick one."

While an aggravating process, it does kinda make me happy when people try to twist my arm into something; they soon learn who the biggest asshole in the room is.

• Haha 1

On 6/27/2020 at 9:50 PM, christopher.annino said:

Anyways... I'll have my new house in a week, first in the eight years since my last marriage. Apartment life SUCKS after you've had a house, especially when you can't have a grill the whole time. I can't wait to happy cry over some kebabs in the new backyard. 

Oh man, same here.  We lived in an apartment for maybe a year and a half between houses and I missed grilling so much.

On the food snobbery tip...back when I ate carbs and gluten, I never mixed my own pancake batter.  I'd always buy that Bisquick powder in a jar gimmick that you just add water and shake.  I love to cook but I'm not fucking with more than two ingredients first thing in the morning.

• Like 6

During the summer, I usually grill three to four times a week and we feast on leftovers on the odd days.  I almost never cook any meat indoors between June and September..

I am a peerless dinner guy and grill master, but I am a shitty breakfast cook.  I can barely scramble eggs and don't ask me about French Toast or pancakes or anything like that.

I can do ham, bacon & sausage because it's meat, but the art of preparing eggs for breakfast by themselves has always eluded me.

I think the only hot breakfast cereal I can make without destroying it is oatmeal.  Like Tequila and Brussel Sprouts, Grits and I do not have a very good relationship.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I make a mean sunny side up egg because years ago when I was single and jobless I decided I was going to perfect that one particular skill.  My scrambled eggs are pretty mediocre, but I'm usually putting cheese and other stuff in them, so that covers up a lot of faults.  Unfortunately my wife doesn't like eggs, especially runny eggs, so my talent goes unappreciated.

Waffles are my go-to for making breakfast, unless the grocery store has a loaf of brioche or challah on the day-old rack in which case I'll make french toast.

I can't do pancakes, crepes, etc. I leave that stuff to one of my siblings. I just do simple things like scrambled eggs, over medium/hard, and the rare omelette. 

Meats for breakfast I'm generally fine with save for bacon. If I do that it has to be cut up. I seem to have trouble getting it right just straight up. Always a bit too crispy for my tastes.

• Like 1

Someone asked about breakfast for dinner and I do that. It's always Biscuits and Sausage gravy w eggs. When I moved to Chicago from Kentucky I struggled to find a good bisuciut and gravy. First one I ordered was at a diner and it was like the shitty little biscuits in a can that I don't think was baked but microwaved. Fucking disgusting. So I've learned how to do it myself and it has become one of our House Menu staples.

I do nearly all the cooking in our house, which made the quarantine exhausting I felt like I was cooking and doing dishes all day.

I learned how to cook years ago because we were poor and on welfare and I had to learn how to make cheap shit that would fill us up and last. My wife will never eat bean soup again.

I do a lot of asian food because asian. I recently got into making Japanese style curry from scratch. I make my own bone marrow broth and all that shit. It's not that I don't like the regular roux you can buy at the store, I just like having control over how it's made.

I think in general I just love knowing HOW to do something or how something works. I don't eat out a lot partially because if I find a food I like I try to figure out how to make it so I don't have to pay restaurant prices for it(that also probably comes from being poor). Like the first time I had cajun shrimp and grits I made that shit for 6 weeks straight until I figured it out.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Buying new cars...ugh.  My new car was my first dealership experience and I basically wanted to nuke the place from orbit afterwards.  I mean, I already knew how obnoxious it was going to be, but it met every expectation.

My big issue was that my old car got worse so quickly that I had to make plans on the fly, so my down payment was all but tied up in an online savings account.  I couldn't just get a check because that would have taken days, plus it was the weekend, so all I could do was get a wire transfer put through first thing Monday.  When I told their finances guy that, he looked at me like I'd grown three heads and blustered around for 45 minutes, wasting my fucking time, before I finally told the guy, "Look, that's where my money is and it's how you're getting it.  You can take it, or I can walk.  Pick one."

While an aggravating process, it does kinda make me happy when people try to twist my arm into something; they soon learn who the biggest asshole in the room is.

Took my nephew to ship for his first car a few years back. The lot was spread over a couple blocks. After the guy showed us several awful cars - including one with a MOUNTAIN DEW BOTTLE SHOVED INTO THE HEADLIGHT TO HOLD IT IN PLACE - I told the guy we were done. We started walking the two blocks back to my car. The guy proceeded to alternate berating us ("you're one of those smarty-smart guys, aren't you!") and begging us to buy a car. It was hilarious, bizarre, obnoxious, and awful all at once. 

• Like 2

It was my Mum's six year anniversary on Friday and the boss at the charity shop I volunteer at for those with mental health issues asked if I could speak with her about the shop.  I explained that it wasn't ideal because of Mum's anniversary so she'd ring me Monday. Good job because I was told the shop will be having a closing down sale and won't reopen because of coronavirus/social distancing. The manager thanked me for my service down there. So yesterday was shit and I'm feeling low today as well. I'm gutted. The whole month of June and the first week of July putting Mum to rest always fucking sucks. To my Facebook friends, please don't mention it on Facebook. I might at some point but not now. Thanks.

Edited by The Natural
  • Sad 8

You’re a good man, Paul. You’re kindness on here and chill attitude is appreciated by a lot of us on here. I know June is tough for you, mourn how you need to. I’ll be checking in with you on FB messenger in a few days if that’s alright. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OctopusCinema said:

You’re a good man, Paul. You’re kindness on here and chill attitude is appreciated by a lot of us on here. I know June is tough for you, mourn how you need to. I’ll be checking in with you on FB messenger in a few days if that’s alright. 

Cheers, David. Really appreciate you saying that. More than alright you sending me a FB PM. Thanks again, my friend.

• Like 1

goddamn my neighborhood is getting shot up.

Yesterday my block got shut down because of a shooting in which 20+ shots were fired and one SUV turned over on its side. My porch got to be in several photgraphs.

6 people have been shot here since Saturday. 

Couple hours later SWAT team had a stand off over a guy who entered a building with a gun. Sadly it was probably a separate matter altogether.

I'm exhausted with this shit.

• Sad 8

My store finally reopened today with one catch. The only person they allowed back to work is our store manager, who has to work by herself all day (11-7) during 4th of July weekend. She brought this up and asks if she could just have 1 other person with her even and they said no. We sell watches, and not cheap ones either. We carry several that are well over $1000 and most others are at least over $500. We're so gonna get robbed. 

• Sad 6

I know this is technically wrestling related, but how long is it going to be until either AEW or WWE fights with the governors of NY, NJ, and CT? Since pro athletes are being granted exemptions to fly to states and return back from states that normal citizens are required to quarantine if they’d went to those states. 

It seems like if AEW wanted to badly enough they can argue MJF, Private Party, and whomever else they have from those 3 states are needed for their jobs just like the pro athletes are, and thus they should be granted exemptions too. I don’t see any way they can try claiming in this current climate that pro sports are necessary or that athletes deserve special treatment.

On 7/2/2020 at 7:59 PM, jaedmc said:

goddamn my neighborhood is getting shot up.

Yesterday my block got shut down because of a shooting in which 20+ shots were fired and one SUV turned over on its side. My porch got to be in several photgraphs.

6 people have been shot here since Saturday. 

Couple hours later SWAT team had a stand off over a guy who entered a building with a gun. Sadly it was probably a separate matter altogether.

I'm exhausted with this shit.

Jesus, dude. Was this the stuff on the west side? Another friend told me about it yesterday. I don't know how feasible it is, but have you considered moving to get out of that area?

In any event, hope you and your family stay safe.

• Like 2

Wife and I made the decision to shut down our restaurant last night.  It's been a fairly stressful, joyless experience since we were allowed to reopen.  Our staff did great but business was slow and a lot of the employees seem shell-shocked from stress.  And, we live in a college town where the college kids have been swamping bars and spreading the virus, so odds are our hillbilly governor is issuing a mandatory mask order and maybe a curb on inside dining and alcohol sales later today.  We were already wearing masks and there's not much point to trying to run a restaurant or anything else under those conditions.

Going to pay the staff as long as they want to stay on the payroll and we have some money in the account, but it will take a miracle for us to reboot the place.

Just feel numb.  I felt really successful five months ago.  Took me almost ten years to raise the capital and put everything in place to open my own joint and it crumbled in months.  Money's not a big issue for us at the moment, but I don't really see a future for myself beyond bitter alcoholic recluse.  Or worse.  I'm hoping they somehow manage to save society for my kids and nieces and nephews to have futures and happy lives, but that seems a bit unlikely right now.

• Sad 13

1 hour ago, Doc Townsend said:

Wife and I made the decision to shut down our restaurant last night.  It's been a fairly stressful, joyless experience since we were allowed to reopen.  Our staff did great but business was slow and a lot of the employees seem shell-shocked from stress.  And, we live in a college town where the college kids have been swamping bars and spreading the virus, so odds are our hillbilly governor is issuing a mandatory mask order and maybe a curb on inside dining and alcohol sales later today.  We were already wearing masks and there's not much point to trying to run a restaurant or anything else under those conditions.

Going to pay the staff as long as they want to stay on the payroll and we have some money in the account, but it will take a miracle for us to reboot the place.

Just feel numb.  I felt really successful five months ago.  Took me almost ten years to raise the capital and put everything in place to open my own joint and it crumbled in months.  Money's not a big issue for us at the moment, but I don't really see a future for myself beyond bitter alcoholic recluse.  Or worse.  I'm hoping they somehow manage to save society for my kids and nieces and nephews to have futures and happy lives, but that seems a bit unlikely right now.

I hate to hear this, but hope things get better for you when all of this is over.  

I honestly feel like the most destructive thing we've ever done as a society is create this idea of American exceptionalism.  We really think we're special, when we clearly are not.  We are going to destroy our entire society, because people are too dumb and too selfish to do the bare minimum in the name of helping someone else.  Seriously, almost every other country has this shit under control, because they are willing to stay home and wear masks without calling it a deep state conspiracy.  I guess that is what happens when you create a society that is based on profiting of the exploitation of the most vulnerable.  Seriously, this shit is crumbling right before our eyes based purely on the fact that we created a world where considering others is a sign of weakness.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Doc Townsend said:

Doc, if you had asked me I could have told you a surefire way to make a small fortune in the restaurant biz... Start with a large one! Seriously, the two worst possible investments are (in no particular order) restaurant/bar & specialty publishing company. Being a glutton for punishment, I've done both and more than once. I'm lucky to have landed a position as senior editor working for one of my best friends doing all the creative stuff that I'm supposedly good at and staying well away from the actual business operations, which I've demonstrated over and over are totally beyond me. A genius-level IQ doesn't mean that one has any commonsense when it comes to Business 101.

• Like 1