DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

36 minutes ago, Craig H said:

We just make pancakes from the box here at home. Nothing fancy. Actually, we usually just use the pancake mix to make waffles. Look, damn near everything else my wife or I will make from scratch. Pancakes from the box are easy and fun to do with my daughter.

Anyone ever have breakfast for dinner as a kid? I remember my family making pancakes and bacon or french toast and bacon for dinner sometimes and I haven't really done it with my daughter. Maybe that was just an 80s thing.

I... there's so much wrong with this, I don't even know where to start.

Pancakes from the box.  No.  Just no.  A thousand times no.  At least separate your yolks and whites and meringue/fold the whites last.

And "breakfast for dinner" are the three greatest words in the English language.  An 80s thing...what in the actual fuck.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Anyone ever have breakfast for dinner as a kid? I remember my family making pancakes and bacon or french toast and bacon for dinner sometimes and I haven't really done it with my daughter. Maybe that was just an 80s thing.

My mom used to do this on occasion. It was usually biscuits, sausage gravy, bacon, eggs, and grits.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

In continental Europe, none of the things you mention above are usually eaten for breakfast (okay, you can get some scrambled eggs in hotels that regularly deal with "outside" guests). Pancakes etc. are lunch/dinner food over here.

I missed a lot of the restaurant talk... Steak And Shake is one of the few places I go where the burgers are always good and I never feel shitty after eating one so they're big when I'm on the road. Somebody asked if they were more East coast. The closest one to here is PA but they're fucking everywhere Midwest. 

Culver's is still my top choice for burgers, then S&S. Whataburger and In And Out are amazing but not as readily available. Also tried Burgerville in Oregon, holy shit, so good but super regional.

Cracker Barrel I've had once. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, corn, beans, some of the blandest and least seasoned food I've ever had. Makes sense since the place was packed with old white folks. 

Completely aside - DC should have statehood and the fact is it is WILD that the GOP screams foul every time these ideas come up - more places having representation (hello, Puerto Rico) or more people being able to vote, etc. Just come out and say you can't win on policy and y'all need to literally suppress the vote and shit on the Constitution.

Anyways... I'll have my new house in a week, first in the eight years since my last marriage. Apartment life SUCKS after you've had a house, especially when you can't have a grill the whole time. I can't wait to happy cry over some kebabs in the new backyard. 

• Like 7

Also fuck any sort of food elitism. I know everybody here uses friendly hyperbole but yeah, sometimes store bought sauces etc are perfectly fine. I don't have the energy after 50-60 hours on the road to make a good red sauce, even if it would taste far better. That grill I'm getting? Propane. I'm fine with it. It's gonna help me make good food for my family. I'd love to use charcoal or have a smoker, but not gonna happen often. We should all have more time and money to grow our own everything or afford all organic or slow cook all weekend for our loved ones, but til then, don't throw too much shade at those who go propane, Prego, or Campbell's ❤️❤️❤️

• Like 6

As someone that works night, i eat whatever whenever. The other day, i had pancakes and eggs at 1700, but i had gotten up at 1415. 

When my doctor asks what i usually have for breakfast, i say “ do you mean my first meal of the day, which is usually noon or later even on my days off.” 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Also fuck any sort of food elitism.

100% this. I've worked in fine dining (well, not right now because of Covid reasons) for almost 14 years and I have come to absolutely hate foodie culture and cooking snobbery. Not everyone has the time or the money to buy fresh ingredients to make everything from scratch. Saying to someone "oh how could you enjoy that restaurant, it's trash" is the most elitist bullshit. Let people like what they like, not everyone has the same palette, not everyone has the same expectation or values when it comes to what food they eat. I'm not even trying to jump on anyone here, it's something I've seen a lot from guests, where you hear a lot of "why would anyone go to Chain Restaurant A, when they can go to "Better" Restaurant B?" Maybe they just generally like Chain Restaurant A or it scratches an itch or it's cheaper or it's near their home or maybe don't worry about it...

Again, I'm not directing this at anyone here as I think that the conversation has actually been really good, it's just a personal pet peeve of mine that's developed over the years. I actually think the Food Network is one of the worst things that happened because it's ingrained this belief in a lot of people that if you're not cooking in a certain way or going to the right kind of restaurants that you are doing it "wrong."

Edited by elizium
  • Like 2

On 6/26/2020 at 3:13 PM, AxB said:

The thing I don't understand about the fact that America has a chain restaurant called International (sic) House of Pancakes is... it's really fucking easy to make pancakes at home. Like, I could make pancakes when I was 8 years old. Flour, Eggs, Milk/ Water. A mixing bowl, a whisk, a frying pan and some oil. Whatever you want to top them with*. That's it. That's everything you need. You don't even need to measure the amounts, if you know what you're doing. Why go to a restaurant for that? 

* Lemon juice is for idiots.

IHOP isn't so much a place you go as it is a place you end up. Most of them are open 24 hours or to some other really late time and it's a popular place to go after you've been getting pissed all night, are leaving a show, etc and don't want to go to bed on an empty stomach. I've had a lot of good memories being among a group of other oddly dressed misfits at all night diners in the wee hours.

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
10 hours ago, elizium said:

100% this. I've worked in fine dining (well, not right now because of Covid reasons) for almost 14 years and I have come to absolutely hate foodie culture and cooking snobbery. Not everyone has the time or the money to buy fresh ingredients to make everything from scratch. Saying to someone "oh how could you enjoy that restaurant, it's trash" is the most elitist bullshit. Let people like what they like, not everyone has the same palette, not everyone has the same expectation or values when it comes to what food they eat. I'm not even trying to jump on anyone here, it's something I've seen a lot from guests, where you hear a lot of "why would anyone go to Chain Restaurant A, when they can go to "Better" Restaurant B?" Maybe they just generally like Chain Restaurant A or it scratches an itch or it's cheaper or it's near their home or maybe don't worry about it...

Again, I'm not directing this at anyone here as I think that the conversation has actually been really good, it's just a personal pet peeve of mine that's developed over the years. I actually think the Food Network is one of the worst things that happened because it's ingrained this belief in a lot of people that if you're not cooking in a certain way or going to the right kind of restaurants that you are doing it "wrong."

People who are elitist about chains don't factor in things like food allergies either. And if you have food allergies AND you travel all the time for work, you don't really have the capability to read Yelp reviews of every local spot that might have conceivably better food.

Also, I wish the folks that got the snobbier elements of Food Network had also paid attention to the earlier years of the channel when Rachael Ray was out there cooking most of her meals using canned goods. Like... back before I was working from home (even pre-pandemic), I'd work my normal eight hours, then go work out, then go do my group mentoring. So if I want to have freshly cooked food instead of reheating meal prep that I made from a giant batch on Sunday, heck yes sometimes I need to cook from cans. Big deal.

5 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

IHOP isn't so much a place you go as it is a place you end up.

And I'm from Ohio, which is a nice place to be *from*.  So, by the transitive property, does this mean IHOPs in Ohio are the saddest places on Earth?

*quiet John Oliver voice* (Yes, yes it does, because Bob Evans is way the fuck better!)

• Like 1

Is Bob Evans that good? I mean full disclosure, I'm generally not much of a breakfast person, but once in a while I indulge at home - almost never on the road, always trying to make good time to the next destination. However, I do like to try as many places as possible, especially stuff we don't have in New England. I got lunch at a Perkins once - a combo with burger, fries, and a slice of pie - and that was perfectly acceptable diner chain fare. What's best at Bob Evans?

As for IHOP, we never had many of those here until the last decade or so, but plenty of Denny's. As said before, it's truly a place you'd find yourself after a punk show, back when all ages shows actually existed. 

Edited by christopher.annino

ALSO! Funny that John Oliver was tangentially mentioned! I love the guy, but the way he absolutely shits on any chain restaurant is EXACTLY the kind of food elitism I hate. Otherwise, big fan here.

Edited by christopher.annino

1 minute ago, christopher.annino said:

ALSO! Funny that John Oliver was tangentially mentioned! I love the guy, but the way he absolutely shits on any chain restaurant is EXACTLY the kind of food elitism I hate. Otherwise, big fan here.

Does he actually hate them or is he pulling a Jon Stewart where he bags on them as a joke despite having nothing against them personally?

28 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Does he actually hate them or is he pulling a Jon Stewart where he bags on them as a joke despite having nothing against them personally?

I'd hope it's a joke, but even then, it's an old joke. We get it, American chain food is garbage ?

As you can imagine, as somebody that travels and eats at so many chains, Doughboys is my favorite podcast ?

I wouldn't say Bob Evans is actually that good - I do agree with those who feel that American chain restaurants are basically crap - but they're better than the other national breakfast chains, generally speaking.  You can find better individual items at certain places - better pancakes at IHOP, better waffles & hash browns at Waffle House, better biscuits & gravy at Cracker Barrel - but I've never had anything at Bob Evans that was the least bit regrettable, which I can't say about the others.  I'm probably full of shit, though; all these places likely get the same frozen slop from the same distributors.

Edited by Contentious C

Oliver used to always do this bit with Stewart where he'd get super angry at Jon about something British usually, so maybe he's projecting that onto some bit about American food. I mean, he's a US citizen. He's been here a long time. Maybe he just hates how we treat servers and staff in most of our restaurants in terms of pay? I dunno.

19 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Also fuck any sort of food elitism. I know everybody here uses friendly hyperbole but yeah, sometimes store bought sauces etc are perfectly fine. I don't have the energy after 50-60 hours on the road to make a good red sauce, even if it would taste far better. That grill I'm getting? Propane. I'm fine with it. It's gonna help me make good food for my family. I'd love to use charcoal or have a smoker, but not gonna happen often. We should all have more time and money to grow our own everything or afford all organic or slow cook all weekend for our loved ones, but til then, don't throw too much shade at those who go propane, Prego, or Campbell's ❤️❤️❤️

I like getting cute and fancy with food. But I don’t roll with judgmental Elitists. I remember going out for a beer with my cousin and her husband and I ordered a Blue Moon and they were appalled that I didn’t get something more Craft. F off. I use to be more pretentious about food, movies, and music, but now I just want to have a good time and for other to enjoy what they like. I still have fun trying out a new beer or traveling to eat something different. I love Hopslam and Old Rasputin, but I also want to have a Miller Highlife after work. For dinner I’m going to have a few Hamm’s and a couple of microwaved hot dogs. My philosophy: don’t be rude to people. 

• Like 2

96-E68-B56-00-F7-4846-8-EEB-E43-D4-C0263

Wife and I got a 2015 Kia Soul. First time buying a car from a dealership. Without getting into too many details I think we negotiated pretty well and got a good deal. We’ve had a 2007 Mazda3 that was a salvage title for a while and that’s been having problems off and on. It was time to upgrade. We’re pretty excited about this. 

• Like 5