DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

Here's the thing

Ihop is cheap. My local breakfast places are not

That is a huge factor for a family on a budget 

(Again this is when discussing normal times)

• Like 5

A lot of resturants in Jersey are now opening outside dining.

There's not a resturant I like enough to sit outside in 90 degrees to eat at while a virus soars around uncontrolled.  i'll just get the take out and eat it on my patio.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Here's the thing

Ihop is cheap. My local breakfast places are not

That is a huge factor for a family on a budget 

(Again this is when discussing normal times)

Here's the thing

IHop here is disgusting. The two most popular joints (Earl's and the Avalon) are worse. Earl's is a tourist trap that has been around since WWII and the Avalon was opened to catch their overflow. Were it not for the Railway Cafe we would never go out for breakfast. Earl's is the typical NM dive that rewards diners with a huge amount of barely edible food. My sisters-in-law who have always lived here swear by the place, but neither one would know good food if Gordon Ramsey hit them over the head with a lamb roast.

Edited by OSJ

I like Chinese buffet so I'm not really willing to talk shit about a place that will serve me a whole lot of garbage.

The local breakfast joints here are widely variable.  A bunch of them are (or were, I haven't been in a while) owned by some incredibly shady Armenians and serve right off the Sysco truck slop.  There are a couple that do it right, but they're pricey and always packed. 

And no one knows how to make good biscuits and gravy.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I like Chinese buffet so I'm not really willing to talk shit about a place that will serve me a whole lot of garbage.

The local breakfast joints here are widely variable.  A bunch of them are (or were, I haven't been in a while) owned by some incredibly shady Armenians and serve right off the Sysco truck slop.  There are a couple that do it right, but they're pricey and always packed. 

And no one knows how to make good biscuits and gravy.

There's a Chinese place here that has a buffet that is ghastly by any terms that you would care to apply. However, if you ignore the buffet and order something off the menu it is fucking stellar. Come over for breakfast, my wife knows how to make excellent biscuits and gravy. ?

To expound on my critique of the Dragon Dynasty or whatever the place is called now, (they seem to change their name but not their menu about every two years), my love for seafood has been discussed at length. When you can make fucking shrimp inedible, you are really going above and beyond to demonstrate total ineptitude in the kitchen. Imagine someone who loves seafood as much as I do gingerly taking five shrimp from the buffet (because it was obvious at a glance that the things had been brutally overcooked) and being only able to get one down. Just horrible. On the other hand, ordering tempura shrimp off the menu rewards you with a huge plate of delightfully flavorful, cooked just right large shrimp/prawns. Go figure.

Edited by OSJ

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

We can't all have the refined palate that you have John

Come on over for some good eats, I am a hell of a great cook and Kathy is even better. I'll make some General Tso's Tacos to celebrate the East/West thingie.

BTW: If you read what I wrote instead of just being reactionary, I said nothing about YOUR I-Hop, I said that the two I-Hops here were disgusting and the one I went to in Seattle was passable, I said nothing about your local I-Hop, because I haven't eaten there.

I consider myself fortunate we have a few places around here that are as cheap as an Ihop or Steak n Shake, but locally owned and with better food. That's one of the things I've loved about Mayor Pete's tenure here in that so many more locally owned businesses popped up and were thriving. My fear is that many of them got derailed by quarantine. A couple places my wife and I went to all the time, both smaller breweries, stayed pretty busy just doing takeout, but the brunchy and dinner type places we'd go with my daughter we haven't gone to in the longest time now. It's all been cooking at home except for doing takeout on Fridays.

37 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I consider myself fortunate we have a few places around here that are as cheap as an Ihop or Steak n Shake, but locally owned and with better food. That's one of the things I've loved about Mayor Pete's tenure here in that so many more locally owned businesses popped up and were thriving. My fear is that many of them got derailed by quarantine. A couple places my wife and I went to all the time, both smaller breweries, stayed pretty busy just doing takeout, but the brunchy and dinner type places we'd go with my daughter we haven't gone to in the longest time now. It's all been cooking at home except for doing takeout on Fridays.

I will admit to having never had the Steak n Shake experience, (is it an East Coast thingie?). The concept certainly sounds good, but I've heard equally good-sounding things turn out to be crap. We used to have a joint called Perkin's Steak and Shake in Seattle, the breakfasts were outstanding, but their two main items were at best mediocre at worst damn near inedible. The phrase "tougher than a two-dollar steak" may well have originated there, although the steaks were closer to six bucks IIRC. Also, it really takes some doing to fuck up a milkshake when you' only have the three basics on the menu. It's not like Baskin-Robbins where you are dealing with 31 different kinds of ice-cream.

It's already in the nineties, so I may forego making General Tso's Tacos for another day and just send Kathy to KFC. For those wondering how to make General Tso's Tacos, it's easy. Make and finely dice General Tso's Chicken, there are so many absurdly easy recipes on the 'net that I'm not going to waste space reproducing one here. Use your soft corn or flour tortillas, (crisp tortillas are the devil's putwillies); add shredded lettuce and Sriracha to taste! Bon appetit!   A couple or three drops of Da Bomb! certainly won't hurt anything unless you are feeding the faint of heart and weak of stomach.

Steak n Shake used to be pretty decent, but the ones here have become filthy pits with poor service. One here caught fire, was rebuilt, and wound up being worse than ever. Another was shut down due to health code violations. The third is still open, but their drive thru used to smell like a backed up septic tank.

Decent shakes though. Used to hang out there with friends until 3 or 4 am after getting out late from working at the movie theater. That's like 20 years ago though.

31 minutes ago, OSJ said:

I will admit to having never had the Steak n Shake experience, (is it an East Coast thingie?)

We have some in Houston. They were ok the few times I've gone there. They are better for their shakes than actual food.

They got rid of the MGM Great Movie Ride at Hollywood Studios recently, and that was considerably less racist and more culturally relevant than anything involving Splash Mountain. I was upset for a couple of minutes and moved on with my life. 

• Thanks 1

When people start talking about Food in the How's It Going thread and a Moderator shows up, you expect them to shout at everyone to shut up and go to the Food thread. But instead, he also talks about food. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AxB said:

When people start talking about Food in the How's It Going thread and a Moderator shows up, you expect them to shout at everyone to shut up and go to the Food thread. But instead, he also talks about food. 

We all gots to eat, bro!

So with all the talk about Ihop I ended up getting it this morning.  And sure enough the pancakes were flat but tasted fine enough.  To be honest I tend to get it with flavors so it helps to mask whatever may or may not be wrong with it.  I personally prefer the omelettes they make over their pancakes anyway.  On the Cracker Barrell front it's been years since I've gone there.  But I'm hoping to check it out one morning especially since we're a bit closer to it since we moved north.

My wife loves Cracker Barrel. I've had two racist experiences at two seperate locations, one of which she witnessed, so I generally refuse to dine at their establishments. She still begs me when we go on roadtrips to eat there.

I'm probably due to cave in next time we get to go on a vacation. I'll end up getting some chicken fried shit with gravy and be filled with nothing but sorrow and regret.

• Sad 4

I temporarily sated my southern food craving by making pan fried porkchops, cream gravy, mashed potatoes, and green beans.  Everything was awesome except the pork chops, which were really tough.  Which brings me to my next complaint:

My local grocery got bought out by Kroger last year and it fuckin' sucks! Their meat and produce are both garbage and the store is constantly understaffed.  They've also done the bare minimum to pay lip service to protecting customers or employees from Covid.  I feel like shit every time I shop there but I'm also not ballin' enough to shop regularly at Hy-Vee.

We're supposed to get a Costco built 2 miles away from our place next year so hopefully I can do most of my shopping there and avoid it entirely.