DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

42 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I always figured it was some kind of old-timey gift shoppe.

The fact it's both is telling.

• Haha 1

All of this talk about Cracker Barrel and no one has brought up Hash Brown Casserole.  Not only that, Cracker Barrel has the best pancakes of any of the mainstream breakfast places.  With that said, they are one of the few places I've been who makes inedible scrambled eggs, which is something most middle school kids can master.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

The fact it's both is telling.

Yeah, I'm never sure whether or not to have breakfast or buy the wife a set of cat salt and pepper shakers...

53 minutes ago, supremebve said:

All of this talk about Cracker Barrel and no one has brought up Hash Brown Casserole.  Not only that, Cracker Barrel has the best pancakes of any of the mainstream breakfast places.  With that said, they are one of the few places I've been who makes inedible scrambled eggs, which is something most middle school kids can master.

I've never eaten anything at Cracker Barrel outside of their pancakes, which are, indeed, phenomenal.  I never tried them until I heard Lance Storm putting them over on Alvarez's podcast years ago.  His tip for getting their pancakes was on point: get the blueberry pancakes, but use the regular maple syrup, not the blueberry syrup.  Blueberry pancakes AND blueberry syrup together is just too much blueberry, just too sweet and gross.  Blueberry pancakes with maple syrup is a nice balance, the best of both worlds.

God I really wish I had started all this food talk when we could actually go to restaurants and meat was a billion dollars a pound

That being said in like 12 months - I want giant DVDVR cookouts everywhere

• Like 8

Just now, RIPPA said:

God I really wish I had started all this food talk when we could actually go to restaurants and meat was a billion dollars a pound

That being said in like 12 months - I want giant DVDVR cookouts everywhere

Time to bring Naimark out of retirement for one last job...

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Time to bring Naimark out of retirement for one last job...

Considering who's been posting what in the Baseball fools thread, let's not.

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I've never eaten anything at Cracker Barrel outside of their pancakes, which are, indeed, phenomenal.  I never tried them until I heard Lance Storm putting them over on Alvarez's podcast years ago.  His tip for getting their pancakes was on point: get the blueberry pancakes, but use the regular maple syrup, not the blueberry syrup.  Blueberry pancakes AND blueberry syrup together is just too much blueberry, just too sweet and gross.  Blueberry pancakes with maple syrup is a nice balance, the best of both worlds.

Don Callis making fun of Lance Storm's order at Cracker Barrel was one of the highlights of Killing the Town. Man, I wish they'd bring that back.

But yes, I'll "stan" (as the kids say) for Cracker Barrel. Maybe I'm just uncultured, and you know, I'm fine with that.

• Like 2

I will still absolutely fuck up a Grand Slam so I can't really judge anyone's restaurant choices.

Speaking of, Denny's has to have the most trash pancakes of any of the major chains, right?

3 hours ago, Raziel said:

Considering who's been posting what in the Baseball fools thread, let's not.

I e-mail Mike shit about the Yankees every year. 

19 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I will still absolutely fuck up a Grand Slam so I can't really judge anyone's restaurant choices.

Speaking of, Denny's has to have the most trash pancakes of any of the major chains, right?

I have never had the courage to try the pancakes at a Denny's; I am a timid soul when it comes to breakfast. I don't know if it is a national or regional deal, but we had International House of Pancakes in Seattle and for a chain, they were surprisingly decent.

40 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

In my experience IHOP has good pancakes and bad everything else.

True dat. And rather nasty waitstaff at the University District location in Seattle. I was 86'd from there for years for throwing a salt shaker from Pizza Hut through their window... Long story, but basically we were drunk and hungry and Pizza Hut was closing just as we got there and refused to take our order so I grabbed one of their salt shakers and put it in my pocket. Why? I don't fucking know, it seemed like a good idea at the time... 

We then went to I-HOP who seated a party that was ahead of us by about twenty feet. When we got to the door the manager said they were closing and not serving any new customers. I don't respond well to "no" when sober, let alone drunk, so from the edge of the parking lot I demonstrated that my talent for precision throwing of an object is undiluted no matter how drunk I am. The salt shaker went through their window with a quickness, unfortunately I can't run very fast when totally tanked. The judge was not at all impressed with my athletic abilities and made me pay for the window and be on probation for six months on the threat of 30 days... It was years before I returned...

• Like 1

I've been limited in my retail chain breakfast ventures since my family stuck to family owned diners mostly, but the only place I could find  when I was younger with better pancakes than IHOP was this place called Kettle. Way fluffier and huge pancakes too.

Kettle on Sunday mornings was the best start to Sunday's knowing we'd be stuck at church from 9 to maybe 6. I'd load up on the pancakes so I wouldn't be that hungry for the lunch "potlucks" that the church would have. 

These days, Bill Miller's might have the larger pancakes around but its always a roll of the dice because they come out either dry and crumbling to pieces or soggy and falling apart. Honestly haven't had any good restaurant bought pancakes in years. I guess we just have shit options for pancakes, period

If y'all get to Albuquerque check out Wecks, the food isn't really excellent, but by God do they give you a lot of it. A short stack of pancakes is high enough to do a flip off of. A full stack requires two plates. The big downer is that on the weekend you may have to wait an hour to get in. This is true of all four or five of their locations. 

2 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Don Callis making fun of Lance Storm's order at Cracker Barrel was one of the highlights of Killing the Town. Man, I wish they'd bring that back.

But yes, I'll "stan" (as the kids say) for Cracker Barrel. Maybe I'm just uncultured, and you know, I'm fine with that.

You're uncultured. *eats frozen food*

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Robert C said:

So apparently there's a push to get out governor to resign over the exploding covid count.  You'd think anybody trying that would google "Texas Lieutenant Governor" beforehand, and then think again.

You guys are just kinda fucked either way...  

• Like 1

Over 5000 new cases and that's just today. Caldwell and Travis counties are making masks mandatory again but then you got that incident from Party City (?) today with that woman who insists she won't shop online for supplies and she won't wear a mask inside the store, so she's not going to leave the store.

You got those kind of incidents and its like, elected officials or not, it's the fucking citizens that are much a problem with new positive covid cases on the rise. We're maybe a week or two away from mandatory lockdown again despite the governor saying that should be a last measure but it's the goddamn "masks are violating my freedom/I'm not wearing a mask cause the governor says we don't have to" people that feel their freedom is being violated who are going to put us back on mandatory stay home orders, where, yup you guessed it, we can't go out again. Self fulfilling prophecy type shit.

I'm sorry, I'm ranting and blowing off steam. My mom beat lymphoma years back and we nearly lost her back at the beginning of lockdown before testing was made available to the public. She and my 9 year old niece who has respiratory problems are both immuno compromised, and half their neighbors are the same idiots throwing cookouts and block parties without masks who wander the grocery store without masks, coughing and breathing all over the aisles. 

• Sad 3

18 minutes ago, Hayabusa said:

Over 5000 new cases and that's just today. Caldwell and Travis counties are making masks mandatory again but then you got that incident from Party City (?) today with that woman who insists she won't shop online for supplies and she won't wear a mask inside the store, so she's not going to leave the store.

You got those kind of incidents and its like, elected officials or not, it's the fucking citizens that are much a problem with new positive covid cases on the rise. We're maybe a week or two away from mandatory lockdown again despite the governor saying that should be a last measure but it's the goddamn "masks are violating my freedom/I'm not wearing a mask cause the governor says we don't have to" people that feel their freedom is being violated who are going to put us back on mandatory stay home orders, where, yup you guessed it, we can't go out again. Self fulfilling prophecy type shit.

I'm sorry, I'm ranting and blowing off steam. My mom beat lymphoma years back and we nearly lost her back at the beginning of lockdown before testing was made available to the public. She and my 9 year old niece who has respiratory problems are both immuno compromised, and half their neighbors are the same idiots throwing cookouts and block parties without masks who wander the grocery store without masks, coughing and breathing all over the aisles. 

I've been going to the park just to get out the house and get a little bit of exercise and there were so many people there today.  I was walking a trail, which was pretty empty, but there were people having picnics, about 20 kids on a beach volleyball court, a cricket game and a bunch of other shit.  Not a mask in sight. 

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Ihop, Dennys, and Cracker Barrel all suck. Eat local (if that's an option for you).

I like Ihop and Cracker Barrel. Granted, I've only been to Cracker Barrel like twice in my life.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

Ihop, Dennys, and Cracker Barrel all suck. Eat local (if that's an option for you).

This is great advice.  I grew up walking distance to a truck stop that was right off the Ohio Turnpike.  The truck stop had a diner and it was excellent.  I still haven't had a better bacon cheeseburger.

Like I said before, the pancakes and hashbrown casserole at Cracker Barrel are excellent.  With that said, if you order anything other than breakfast the FBI should show up and arrest you, because you are clearly a terrorist.