DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

I made a fermented habanero hot sauce about 2 weeks into quarantine.  I bought a set of fermenting jars, stemmed, seeded, and cut the habaneros and half, covered with water and allowed to ferment for 10 days.  Afterwards, I sauteed onions, garlic, and red bell peppers until soft and threw them in a blender.  Added the habaneros, blended it adding fermenting liquid until it was the right consisitency.  I strained half and left the other half kind of chunky.  It turned out really good. 

There is one issue with making your own hot sauce...blending it sends fumes into the air that could best be described as a chemical weapon.  Like every window needs to be open, exhaust fans on high, and then you probably should wear a mask and goggles.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

No one needs Da Bomb. It's not manufactured for any kind of flavor. It's purely meant to be painfully hot. On Hot Ones it's unanimously known to be completely disgusting, not to mention absurdly hot. I've tried it myself and it's terrible.

I have a bunch of other Hot Ones sauces. The Last Dab is pretty good for heat and flavor. There's another sauce called Brain Burner that has the flowery notes of Habanero and Scotch Bonnet and that's pretty good too.

I think my favorite though is just the plain old Hot Ones Classic sauce. 

You don't get a citrus overtone to Da Bomb? Really?

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

I made a fermented habanero hot sauce about 2 weeks into quarantine.  I bought a set of fermenting jars, stemmed, seeded, and cut the habaneros and half, covered with water and allowed to ferment for 10 days.  Afterwards, I sauteed onions, garlic, and red bell peppers until soft and threw them in a blender.  Added the habaneros, blended it adding fermenting liquid until it was the right consisitency.  I strained half and left the other half kind of chunky.  It turned out really good. 

There is one issue with making your own hot sauce...blending it sends fumes into the air that could best be described as a chemical weapon.  Like every window needs to be open, exhaust fans on high, and then you probably should wear a mask and goggles.

If you are male and making your own hot sauce without gloves and use the bathroom, I guaranfuckingtee you that you won't make that mistake twice.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, OSJ said:

If you are male and making your own hot sauce without gloves and use the bathroom, I guaranfuckingtee you that you won't make that mistake twice.

I wore gloves.  I'm very careful, because I wear contacts.  I once got my contacts out without a problem, but the next morning when I put them back in, I found out that contact solution did nothing to dilute the capsaicin that was lurnking on the lens from my fingers.  

• Sad 1

Just now, supremebve said:

I wore gloves.  I'm very careful, because I wear contacts.  I once got my contacts out without a problem, but the next morning when I put them back in, I found out that contact solution did nothing to dilute the capsaicin that was lurnking on the lens from my fingers.  

I've never been able to stick something in my eye, hence glasses here. I have had pepper spray in the eyes before (a "friend") who thought he was being funny, the pain is unimaginable.

1 minute ago, OSJ said:

I've never been able to stick something in my eye, hence glasses here. I have had pepper spray in the eyes before (a "friend") who thought he was being funny, the pain is unimaginable.

I wouldn't even say the pain was the worst part, it was the complete and total surprise mixed with the fact that I literally couldn't even hold my eyes open to get the contacts out.  I was kind of just standing there panicking, flailing around like a crazy person.

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

I wouldn't even say the pain was the worst part, it was the complete and total surprise mixed with the fact that I literally couldn't even hold my eyes open to get the contacts out.  I was kind of just standing there panicking, flailing around like a crazy person.

Nothing that you have said makes me regret not wearing contacts even a little bit.

15 minutes ago, OSJ said:

I avoided contacts for the same reason though my sister was fine wearing them. Pepper spray to the eyes sound horrifying. I touched my eyes as a kid after messing with just regular peppers in the store once and it was not a good experience to say the least. Why would your friend think that would be remotely funny?

3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I avoided contacts for the same reason though my sister was fine wearing them. Pepper spray to the eyes sound horrifying. I touched my eyes as a kid after messing with just regular peppers in the store once and it was not a good experience to say the least. Why would your friend think that would be remotely funny?

Drunk and stupid. He found it considerably less funny once he realized that I didn't have to see him clearly to grab him by the collar and punch his face in.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Robert C said:

And food related, I may be the only person on the planet that has never tasted coffee.  Can't get past the smell.  Coffee beans smell good to me, but the smell of roasted coffee is thoroughly repulsive.  I can't go within a few hundred feet of a Starbucks.

I'm person number 2. 

18 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

I'm person number 2. 

You lads need a good healthy shot of espresso! Put a couple of sugar cubes in your mouth and slurp it right down! Gets the wheels turning, it does.

Knew somebody that mistook superglue for her contact solution. Somehow it didn’t turn out quite as horrifying as it sounds

my sons daycare is now officially a cluster in every sense of the word. They assigned 4 teachers as a cleaning crew school wide. All 4 now have Covid. 9 teachers/staff (probably 1/4 of the total), one kid and at least one parent have tested positive.   They think they’ll be able to reopen a week from today.  Yeah. 

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

If you are male and chopping jalepenos without gloves or throughly washing your hands with Dawn/Pumice Soap and use the bathroom, I guaranfuckingtee you that you won't make that mistake twice.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Robert C said:

Knew somebody that mistook superglue for her contact solution. Somehow it didn’t turn out quite as horrifying as it sounds

my sons daycare is now officially a cluster in every sense of the word. They assigned 4 teachers as a cleaning crew school wide. All 4 now have Covid. 9 teachers/staff (probably 1/4 of the total), one kid and at least one parent have tested positive.   They think they’ll be able to reopen a week from today.  Yeah. 

Who's the Principal, Donald Trump?

5 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Daycare in the US is pretty much a racket where the owners overcharge the fuck out of parents and underpay the fuck out of the teachers, so all you really get is people willing to make minimum wage stuck doing whatever the owners living in million dollar houses say while said owners cut whatever corners necessary to squeeze every dollar the school makes into their bank accounts hoping the State Licencing Agency gives them advance warning when they do check ups.  So yeah, they'll make the teachers clean, but give them not near enough stuff to do it (because that costs money, dammit), and they won't stay closed for long, because staying closed loses money.  And the teachers pretty much have to come in, because they need the paychecks, meager as they be.

Wait, what makes you think I'm married to a Preschool teacher that spent over a decade getting her soul sucked out of her by Private Daycare until she landed a job at a fancy Super Exclusive upscale Pre through 6 Private School that specifically caters to Engineers/Chemists/People working at BMS/ETS/J&J/all the other Pharma's in Central Jersey on H-1B Visas? 

1 minute ago, Raziel said:

Daycare in the US is pretty much a racket where the owners overcharge the fuck out of parents and underpay the fuck out of the teachers, so all you really get is people willing to make minimum wage stuck doing whatever the owners living in million dollar houses say while said owners cut whatever corners necessary to squeeze every dollar the school makes into their bank accounts hoping the State Licencing Agency gives them advance warning when they do check ups.  So yeah, they'll make the teachers clean, but give them not near enough stuff to do it (because that costs money, dammit), and they won't stay closed for long, because staying closed loses money.  And the teachers pretty much have to come in, because they need the paychecks, meager as they be.

Wait, what makes you think I'm married to a Preschool teacher that spent over a decade getting her soul sucked out of her by Private Daycare until she landed a job at a fancy Super Exclusive upscale Pre through 6 Private School that specifically caters to Engineers/Chemists/People working at BMS/ETS/J&J/all the other Pharma's in Central Jersey on H-1B Visas? 

Why you make it sound almost like the public school system that I recall. Including the high-school science text that ignored the presence of Pluto...

On 6/22/2020 at 7:38 AM, Zimbra said:

Man, you know what I would kill for that is impossible to find in Wisconsin, or at least Madison?  Chicken fried steak.  It is just not a thing up here.

Wisconsin surely has a Cracker Barrel somewhere, don't they?

My small contribution to the barbecue conversation:

When I was stationed in Mississippi for a few years, we pretty much lived at The Shed. It's been on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives, burned down once, flooded another time. . .but, by God, it's still there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

Don't know about that, but they MUST have a Denny's, even Gallup, NM has a Denny's (actually two, now that I think about it). Isn't it required to be one of the United States that you have Denny's? Even Canuckistan has Denny's (and it isn't any better there, either).

Just now, Gonzo said:

My small contribution to the barbecue conversation:

When I was stationed in Mississippi for a few years, we pretty much lived at The Shed. It's been on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives, burned down once, flooded another time. . .but, by God, it's still there.

Careful, Guy Fieri may have pissed there.

31 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Since the count is that high, they have to follow what the state says.  Unfortunately, the state is Texas.  Should just rename the place Trumpsylvania.

20 minutes ago, Raziel said:

There isn't an actual owner here (it's run as a nonprofit by the neighborhood association, catering to a bunch of engineer's kids).  That doesn't make the rest of what you said wrong, though.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gonzo said:

We have five. I don't recommend it.

ti5sVJa.jpg

We have plenty of Denny's depending where you live. 8 within driving distance of Milwaukee somehow. 3 randomly strewn about the Madison area outskirts. Only two up here.

There's one decent Denny's in Madison (east side by the Menards, for those keeping track) and the other two are pretty grim, even by Denny's standards.

I've never been in a Cracker Barrel and I feel pretty good about keeping that streak alive.  I was 18 or so before I even knew they were a restaurant; I always figured it was some kind of old-timey gift shoppe.