DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

8 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

It's creamy and tangy.  Essentially it's the same stuff that's in regular BBQ sauce, but with a cream (or mayo) base. 

It's amazing.  And you can only have it like once a year if you don't want to blow up to 500lbs.

Sounds like some Paula Deen shit to me. Passssss

• Haha 1

He’s talking about what we Alabamians simply know as “the white sauce.”  

And, interestingly enough, Dreamland—inarguably the state’s most famous BBQ joint—doesn’t do the white sauce.

Goddamn, the big bummer about this current trip of mine, week two out of three down south, is I have a 26-foot truck to drive. That severely limits the places I can go so I end up doing a lot of Door Dash and since it's always a gamble with quality due to how long it might take, I usually stick with restaurants within a couple miles of the hotel.

You know I might not be a surprise anybody who doesn't live on the coasts, but holy shit I am shocked at the lack of masks out it's in the Midwest and down South. Just ridiculous, and severely increases my anxiety over travelling right now (but I'm banking a ton of OT for a move into a new house, so I kinda gotta do it). 

So couple weeks back my state governor made it a law that cities and counties could NOT fine folks for being out in public without a mask. tbh I don't remember reading anyone actually being fined or arrested, but as he started the slow reopening of the state he says masks are optional and if you're not wearing one don't worry it's illegal to be cited/fined/arrested

Now he's gone and done a total 180 and he's about begging people to start wearing masks now. We don't want to go back to stay at home orders, so please wear your face masks in public and practice social distancing. All that jazz.

I watched pieces of his press conference earlier and I felt like the living embodiment of that Stone Cold meme from Tough Enough when he's asking the trainees for their favorite wrestling match. ? His face, that's exactly what I felt like for the whole conference as the Governor is there unmasked next to other unmasked folks and they're talking about confirmed new cases are on the rise and just about double in the last few days compared to the number of confirmed cases back at the end of May. Could only watch it in increments, it was so maddening. 

I'm watching it scratching my head thinking, yup we're just a week or two away from going back to lockdown orders statewide if the general public is taking their cues from this leadership of unmasked/not social distancing folks.

• Like 3

On 6/21/2020 at 1:20 PM, christopher.annino said:

I feel ya - I live in New England and hate seafood...

What's good for non-bbq in the south? Immediately I think fried chicken... I had some wings and fried okra from JRs Fish & Chicken and it was okay, nothing mind-blowing...

While I can't fathom hating seafood, (I would it eat every day given the chance), I'm an Irish-American who doesn't drink, so YMMV.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Goddamn, the big bummer about this current trip of mine, week two out of three down south, is I have a 26-foot truck to drive. That severely limits the places I can go so I end up doing a lot of Door Dash and since it's always a gamble with quality due to how long it might take, I usually stick with restaurants within a couple miles of the hotel.

You know I might not be a surprise anybody who doesn't live on the coasts, but holy shit I am shocked at the lack of masks out it's in the Midwest and down South. Just ridiculous, and severely increases my anxiety over travelling right now (but I'm banking a ton of OT for a move into a new house, so I kinda gotta do it). 

This is probably unnecessary advice, but look for places that have several long-haul semis parked there. Professional truckers know where to go for good eats. The problem with eating close to the hotel is that you usually get what I call "hotel-level food", over-priced, underseasoned blah. Edible and forgettable at the same time, who needs it? If you're travelling you want to eat at a place that you can tell your friends and kids about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hayabusa said:

So couple weeks back my state governor made it a law that cities and counties could NOT fine folks for being out in public without a mask. tbh I don't remember reading anyone actually being fined or arrested, but as he started the slow reopening of the state he says masks are optional and if you're not wearing one don't worry it's illegal to be cited/fined/arrested

Now he's gone and done a total 180 and he's about begging people to start wearing masks now. We don't want to go back to stay at home orders, so please wear your face masks in public and practice social distancing. All that jazz.

I watched pieces of his press conference earlier and I felt like the living embodiment of that Stone Cold meme from Tough Enough when he's asking the trainees for their favorite wrestling match. ? His face, that's exactly what I felt like for the whole conference as the Governor is there unmasked next to other unmasked folks and they're talking about confirmed new cases are on the rise and just about double in the last few days compared to the number of confirmed cases back at the end of May. Could only watch it in increments, it was so maddening. 

I'm watching it scratching my head thinking, yup we're just a week or two away from going back to lockdown orders statewide if the general public is taking their cues from this leadership of unmasked/not social distancing folks.

It's crazy that Texas had Ann Richards and then decided that they were only going to elect complete dumbfucks from then on out.

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

It's crazy that Texas had Ann Richards and then decided that they were only going to elect complete dumbfucks from then on out.

You've got to think positively.  Our current guy probably isn't as dumb as the previous one.  And that guy probably wasn't as dumb as the one before him.  At this rate in about 50 years we might actually elect someone with a functioning brain.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I'm old enough to recall that they gave us LBJ... Ann Richards was such a bizarre break from what we've grown accustomed to coming out of Texas. If Beto O'Rourke had waved a six-gun around and cursed at people in Spanish, Biden might not be even running for office.

• Like 1

And food related, I may be the only person on the planet that has never tasted coffee.  Can't get past the smell.  Coffee beans smell good to me, but the smell of roasted coffee is thoroughly repulsive.  I can't go within a few hundred feet of a Starbucks.

3 minutes ago, Robert C said:

And food related, I may be the only person on the planet that has never tasted coffee.  Can't get past the smell.  Coffee beans smell good to me, but the smell of roasted coffee is thoroughly repulsive.  I can't go within a few hundred feet of a Starbucks.

As a Seattle boy who consumes two pots every day I am aghast. I will agree that Starbucks pretty much blows, they over-roast their beans something awful. Seattle's Best used to be great twenty years ago until Starbucks bought them out, now it's just the same glop. 

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

I'm old enough to recall that they gave us LBJ... Ann Richards was such a bizarre break from what we've grown accustomed to coming out of Texas. If Beto O'Rourke had waved a six-gun around and cursed at people in Spanish, Biden might not be even running for office.

So my great-grandfather was kind of a high muckety-muck in the Texas Democratic party way back when and helped LBJ get some of his first political jobs.  They later had a falling out that my grandmother would not directly say, but heavily implied, was because LBJ either screwed or tried to screw her teenage sister.

Anyway, LBJ was a world-class shitbird and crazy person but he did sign the civil rights and voting rights acts and was pretty much the last president to even pretend to give a shit about poverty so I can't help but think of him somewhat warmly.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Robert C said:

I'm similar. I hate coffee, the beans are fine but the drink is fucking gross. Coffee breath is even worse.

After the 2016 election I had to address my issues with anxiety. One step towards doing that was cutting out all caffeine. No more coffee, which I would drink every day (probably 1/2 pot), no more Diet Dr. Pepper, no more black tea (now I have all of this stupid expensive teavana tea that doesn't get used), and no more energy drinks. I think it all helped somewhat.

The one thing that happened when I stopped drinking coffee was notice how cheap coffee smelled like a dirty ashtray. Just the smell alone would nearly trigger a migraine. It honestly smelled like going out to the bar when people could still smoke at bars. Coffee breath is another. My wife still drinks coffee, but she puts flavored creamer in hers so it's not that bad. On the rare occasion where they're overrun with patients she'll pound a black coffee and I can smell it from a mile away when she gets home. I don't say shit though because I work from home while she's saving lives, managing a region of dialysis nurses, and still stepping in to run treatments even though she doesn't get overtime.

Every once in a great while if one of the local brunch places has a good coffee then I'll have a cup or two of it when we go out to brunch, but that hasn't happened in months due to quarantine. Even then, coffee just doesn't taste like it used to when I would drink it every day.

On 6/19/2020 at 9:35 AM, RIPPA said:

As someone still learning about Junteenth

I have a question for Black DVDVR - is Bomani accurate? (about the brisket)

Yes, it is accurate.

I have smoked brisket three times in the past four weeks.  I will probably grill or use the wood smoker every other day from now until Labor Day. 

No self respecting black man cooks meat indoors regularly during the summer.  I may get brave enough to make lamb kababs for the Fourth of July.

I will spend a fortune on charcoal, Carolina Dippin' Sauce, and Deep Woods Off over the next four months.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

UGH, tell me about it. Gov. McMaster is a Trump sycophant so he utterly refuses to do anything that might help. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Yes, it is accurate.

I have smoked brisket three times in the past four weeks.  I will probably grill or use the wood smoker every other day from now until Labor Day. 

No self respecting black man cooks meat indoors regularly during the summer.  I may get brave enough to make lamb kababs for the Fourth of July.

I will spend a fortune on charcoal, Carolina Dippin' Sauce, and Deep Woods Off over the next four months.

That Carolina Dippin' Sauce better be homemade, or the rest of this is invald.  

8 minutes ago, supremebve said:

That Carolina Dippin' Sauce better be homemade, or the rest of this is invald.  

I try to make my sauce traditional with just vinegar, sugar, spices and prayer but my sacrilegious mom insists I make a separate batch with ketchup in it for her so that it has some consistency. 

The key is to make the sauce about a day or so before you barbeque so that the mixture has some time to set.  See also Ginger Teriyaki marinade.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I try to make my sauce traditional with just vinegar, sugar, spices and prayer but my sacrilegious mom insists I make a separate batch with ketchup in it for her so that it has some consistency. 

The key is to make the sauce about a day or so before you barbeque so that the mixture has some time to set.  See also Ginger Teriyaki marinade.

Not that you don't already have it, but if you can successfully make lamb kebabs outdoors, you will have my unending respect. Lamb is a bitch to grill or barbecue. (Please note, I am one of those rare white boys that knows the difference between "grill" and "barbecue".) Just have to pat myself on the back once in awhile, we don't get many visitors out this way and Kathy takes my culinary skills for granted after forty years...

• Like 1

My sister is allergic to tomatoes, so my CDS main batch is tomato free.  

I use ketchup for my mom's batch because I am lazy and can just go to the condiments aisle rather than bug someone to ask them which aisle the tomato puree is on.  Sometimes it is with the canned veggies and other places put it with the canned fruit.... which is where it should be..

Edited by J.T.