DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

19 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

I can't help it man, just my tastes! Even worse, I don't like cheese at ALL. I'm a terrible Italian. Oh, BTW I definitely loved Blake's Lottaburger, thanks for that heads up!

As for barbecue styles, I like everything I've had, honestly. Texas, Carolina, Memphis, all delicious to me. 

PowerlessSeparateGalapagostortoise-size_

You're not the first person I've known to not like cheese (not for dietary/moral purposes either), but my brain still cannot understand. I know veganism is the morally right thing to do and I could see myself giving up meat one day but I can't see myself going without cheese, even if I have to pay 3 times what is considered the going rate for it to be made ethically (or less unethically). 

• Like 2

It's a smell/taste thing but mostly a texture thing. I last had it at 16, just kept liking it less and less. I accept that it's odd, and frankly I can tell myself it could be worse since I've met people who don't like chocolate. 

It's funny so many of you say "Carolina barbecue" and default to vinegar.  Saying "I don't like Carolina barbecue" to someone who lived there is like saying, "I don't like that animal at the zoo."  You could just as well mean mustard-based, or ketchup, or dry rub.  They're all there; just depends if you went to the Piedmont or the lowcountry or NC or what have you.  The ketchup is the only one I wouldn't eat, since plenty of other areas fuck up perfectly good meat that way already.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

See I fucking love vinegar so I'm into it.

I appreciate that: different strokes for different folks.  I just can't rock with it.

If I'm ranking barbecue styles it's 1) Kansas City 2) Texas 3) Memphis and then the field.

I'm also with you that I don't really like seafood.  I didn't use to like any of it but I've grown to enjoy fish fry, crab cakes, and sushi.  And conch fritters but that's not really an option in Wisconsin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

I appreciate that: different strokes for different folks.  I just can't rock with it.

If I'm ranking barbecue styles it's 1) Kansas City 2) Texas 3) Memphis and then the field.

I'm also with you that I don't really like seafood.  I didn't use to like any of it but I've grown to enjoy fish fry, crab cakes, and sushi.  And conch fritters but that's not really an option in Wisconsin.

WISCONSIN!!!! Dude, you have fucking walleye!!! It is the greatest thing I've ever had!!! Of course, you balance that with cheese curds which are among the more disgusting things that have been in my mouth (and that covers a frightening lot of ground after sixty years). But walleye is the fucking bomb! I had it every night for the week that I was there in Madison.

Edited by OSJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

WISCONSIN!!!! Dude, you have fucking walleye!!! It is the greatest thing I've ever had!!! Of course, you balance that with cheese curds which are among the more disgusting things that have been in my mouth (and that covers a frightening lot of ground after sixty years). But walleye is the fucking bomb! I had it every night for the week that I was there in Madison.

Friday night fish fry with beer battered walleye, fries, slaw, and a New Glarus is Wisconsin's greatest cultural tradtition.

I'm not a fan of Carolina/vinegary bbq unless it's really, really spicy. If it's really spicy, enough to nearly make my lips go numb, then I'm down.

New Glarus is good. One of my favorite sour ales/goses comes from another brewer called Untitled Art and they're in WIsconsin too. Plus, Leinenkugels is in Wisconsin.

Random drunks are yelling about Blue Moon or Spotted Cow instead. Lone guy in the corner screaming for Miller Lite being booed at.

Edited by Ryan

17 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

What's good for non-bbq in the south? Immediately I think fried chicken... I had some wings and fried okra from JRs Fish & Chicken and it was okay, nothing mind-blowing...

If you ever come to South Carolina, look up Lizard's Thicket. Basically it's soul food. Fried meat of some kind (catfish, hamburger steak, chicken) and some vegs (slaw, okra, collards, etc) and sweet tea.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

If you ever come to South Carolina, look up Lizard's Thicket. Basically it's soul food. Fried meat of some kind (catfish, hamburger steak, chicken) and some vegs (slaw, okra, collards, etc) and sweet tea.

I'll be in Columbia, I think, next Wednesday night so thanks for the recommendation!

• Like 1

For those who've never tried it, Alabama style BBQ sauce is a game changer.  

It's a shame I can only find one restaurant in the city that will serve it.  (Back when restaurants existed...)  ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

It's a shame I can only find one restaurant in the city that will serve it.  (Back when restaurants existed...)  ?

Are you talking about the white bbq sauce? I can't say that I've been brave enough to try it. For whatever reason the look of it invokes thoughts of mayo or ranch dressing. What is the taste comparable to?

• Like 1

I'm late to the party

Barbecue - Anytime the first thing I hear about a barbecue place is the sauce, that's my cue to avoid like the plague. I spend about 1/4 of my childhood in Lockhart, Texas, where my parents grew up.  I remember years ago somebody on here somebody commenting something like "the locals will beat you to death if you ask for sauce", about one of the places there.  I don't even remember them having it at all when I was a kid.  Black's, the place I usually get, didn't put it on their counter till maybe 10 years ago.  As a result, I just can't do sauce.  It just ruins the barbecue for me.

Cheese - I'm another one that can't do it, mostly.  I can eat cheese on pizza.  That's it.  (And now don't eat pizza due to celiac.  Anybody that claims there is no bad pizza needs to eat more gluten free pizza).  It's mostly smell, followed by texture.  I have to leave the house while my wife is making queso, and the smell of a cheeseburger will make me retch.

seafood - Love all of it.  I will willingly risk anaplylactic shock to eat shrimp (I've only had it happen once, with 3 or 4 other times where I took my meds before the reaction got that bad).  Gonna eat some for lunch today.  

Edited by Robert C
  • Like 2

Some things I think are better with a bbq sauce or mop. Ribs I enjoy more with some kind of sauce or even just a glaze at the end. Brisket obviously should never have any kind of sauce. Smoked or grilled wings or breasts I can go either way with.

My wife loves nearly every kind of cheese even though she's lactose intolerant. Me? I can handle most mild cheeses, but anything smellier than parm is tough. Plus, the texture of soft cheeses grosses me out.

I could eat seafood all day with some exceptions. Salmon always makes me feel sick, but I can eat most other kinds of fish just fine. I would eat pounds of shrimp every day if I could. Crab and lobster? Good. Scallops? Eh, it depends on how well it was cooked. It's iffy depending on where you go. Sushi? Good. Tuna steaks? Awesome.

Burgers? I love the smell of burgers, but I can't eat a burger. I will gag every single time. There's something about the taste and texture that makes me gag and nearly throw it up. Ground beef in general is gross except for taco meat and even then I can't handle larger clumps of meat. Sloppy joes? Nope. But steaks, shredded beef, bbq beef, italian beef, roast, or whatever? Delicious. It's just burgers and ground beef that I can't handle. Paradoxically, I can handle sausage gravy or italian sausage or spicy sausage crumbles just fine.

And there aren't enough good fried chicken places. At least around here. Sometimes the best fried chicken I managed to find away from here, like in Chicago, I found when we went to a random restaurant. We went out to breakfast at a place near our airbnb in Chicago last year and they had chicken, waffles, and sausage gravy on the menu. It was the only chicken on the menu and it's hard for me to pass up chicken and waffles. It was so fucking good. Same thing happened when I visited Milwaukee. Went out to lunch with the friend I went to visit, saw the restaurant had chicken and spicy corn waffle on the menu, went with that, and the chicken was outstanding.

Ham? Like a baked ham? Nope. Awful. I hate everything about it. Pork chops, ribs, bacon, and other pork products? Great.

I'm a very weird, picky eater.

Edited by Craig H

All you fuckers talking about BBQ are killing me.  I wanted to get some yesterday but of the three places near me, one had a two hour wait for carry out and two were so busy they wouldn't pick up the phone.  And one of those two was Mission BBQ, which I really didn't want to patronize (brisket with a side of jingoism!).  THAT is how low I almost sank.  Maybe the better BBQ places will be less busy next week.  ?

Meanwhile, i smoked Sasauges, Cubanelles, and Prime Rib yesterday for my Father's Day gift to myself (sadly, I mistimed the Prime Rib and ended up going well done instead of medium, but it was still great.)

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

What's a restaurant?

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Oyaji said:

PowerlessSeparateGalapagostortoise-size_

You're not the first person I've known to not like cheese (not for dietary/moral purposes either), but my brain still cannot understand. I know veganism is the morally right thing to do and I could see myself giving up meat one day but I can't see myself going without cheese, even if I have to pay 3 times what is considered the going rate for it to be made ethically (or less unethically). 

"Cheese" can be so many different things, that I would not make a general statement like "I like / don't like cheese". For example, I could never eat cream or mold cheese. On the other hand, I could not live without 9 to 12-months riped hard cheese. Consider the tradition the making of such cheese has here locally, I probably would have to hand in my passport if I would not like that kind of cheese. The way that cheese is still produced to this day (some kind of three stage pasturing - in the winter in the valley, in spring and fall in low altitude mountain pastures and in the summer in high altitude mountain pastures), is even on some UNESCO cultural heritage list.

And I am still amused that there is town on this world called New Glarus. The original Glarus is a Swiss canton valley that to some degree seems to be stuck in the 18th century. For example, to this day they still use the so called Landsgemeinde: the monthly votings are done literally in a public forum, voting is done by public gathering via raising of hands. At least Glarus is not Appenzell (another Swiss canton, relatively close to Glarus). There women's right to vote was only given in 1991, after they Appenzell was ordered to do so by the Swiss Federal Court (the Landsgemeinde there in 1990 still voted against women's right to vote).

1 minute ago, Robert s said:

"Cheese" can be so many different things, that I would not make a general statement like "I like / don't like cheese". For example, I could never eat cream or mold cheese. On the other hand, I could not live without 9 to 12-months riped hard cheese. Consider the tradition the making of such cheese has here locally, I probably would have to hand in my passport if I would not like that kind of cheese. The way that cheese is still produced to this day (some kind of three stage pasturing - in the winter in the valley, in spring and fall in low altitude mountain pastures and in the summer in high altitude mountain pastures), is even on some UNESCO cultural heritage list.

And I am still amused that there is town on this world called New Glarus. The original Glarus is a Swiss canton valley that to some degree seems to be stuck in the 18th century. For example, to this day they still use the so called Landsgemeinde: the monthly votings are done literally in a public forum, voting is done by public gathering via raising of hands. At least Glarus is not Appenzell (another Swiss canton, relatively close to Glarus). There women's right to vote was only given in 1991, after they Appenzell was ordered to do so by the Swiss Federal Court (the Landsgemeinde there in 1990 still voted against women's right to vote).

New Glarus was basically just a "little Switzerland" tourist trap until Madison got bigger and the brewery took off.  It still has that stuff but it's more of a normal 'burb now.  They still do a Swissfest every year.

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

Are you talking about the white bbq sauce? I can't say that I've been brave enough to try it. For whatever reason the look of it invokes thoughts of mayo or ranch dressing. What is the taste comparable to?

It's creamy and tangy.  Essentially it's the same stuff that's in regular BBQ sauce, but with a cream (or mayo) base. 

It's amazing.  And you can only have it like once a year if you don't want to blow up to 500lbs.

• Haha 1

Prepare your smelling salts and fainting couches.   

Are they ready? 

The Shake Shack cops that were "poisoned"? They barely consumed the shakes. They never got sick. They went to the hospital and were checked but never admitted.  And the whole thing blew up because of an overzealous lieutenant and sergeant who wanted figurative blood.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/22/how-nypd-faked-shake-shack-controversy-and-conspiracy-theory/

• Like 8