DVDVR Message Board

I Said, Hey... What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by jaedmc,

We know. It's hard. But we don't want to moderate your political discussion.

Going against these wishes will result in a suspension.

24 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Would that be the same airport WWE wrestlers fly in and out of to go the Performance Center for tapings?

And that the NBA would have to use for their Disney Hub

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

This is totally fine. Open everything back up.

I just got off a call about my office opening.  We can't use our regular office computers, we have to use the laptops we've been teleworking with...which I can do from home.  The only advantage from working from our office over working from home is that I have multiple large screens We can't use the kitchen.  Not the fridge, microwave, coffee machine, water cooler, ice machine, chairs, tables, nothing.  I can use all those things at home.  We have to have our temperature taken before we go to our desks every single day, and will be sent home if our temperature is over 100 degrees.  

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

And that the NBA would have to use for their Disney Hub

I think the NBA has made a lot of mistakes in their plan to come back, but none so egregious as assuming that Florida would have its shit together in any way.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I think the NBA has made a lot of mistakes in their plan to come back, but none so egregious as assuming that Florida would have its shit together in any way.

I think this is much more of a ESPN is their biggest partner and Disney has a bunch of unused space that could be used to make money instead of collect dust and lose money.  We had a bit of a conversation about this in the MMA thread of all places right when the UFC was talking about coming back.  Disney is losing something like $30 million per day, so this is more the NBA and Disney having faith in each other than it is anyone having faith in Florida.

7 hours ago, supremebve said:

I think this is much more of a ESPN is their biggest partner and Disney has a bunch of unused space that could be used to make money instead of collect dust and lose money.  We had a bit of a conversation about this in the MMA thread of all places right when the UFC was talking about coming back.  Disney is losing something like $30 million per day, so this is more the NBA and Disney having faith in each other than it is anyone having faith in Florida.

True, although given that (as far as I know) Disney still plans to open their parks later this month I'd say any faith they have in Disney to act in anyone's best interest except for Disney's is also pretty misplaced.

Shit, Disney is worth upward of $100 Billion, they could afford to lose $30M a day for quite a while without making much of a dent but they decided they had to go the other way.

3 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

True, although given that (as far as I know) Disney still plans to open their parks later this month I'd say any faith they have in Disney to act in anyone's best interest except for Disney's is also pretty misplaced.

Shit, Disney is worth upward of $100 Billion, they could afford to lose $30M a day for quite a while without making much of a dent but they decided they had to go the other way.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttt, $30 million a day is not something anyone can afford to lose for very long.  They may be worth $100 billion, but they don't have $100 billion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I have a question for Black DVDVR - is Bomani accurate? (about the brisket)

I'm a clueless white person when it comes to Juneteenth but I'm learning about this myself.  Quick search shows at least in Texas that this barbecue foods like brisket are one of the ways to celebrate.

As for Juneteenth I feel bad for not knowing about this until recently.  I don't know how or why it became more popular this year considering it's been a thing for at least a couple hundred years.  But for those celebrating Happy Juneteenth.  And as a clueless white dude I hope that's okay to say.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

As someone still learning about Junteenth

I have a question for Black DVDVR - is Bomani accurate? (about the brisket)

Honestly, I'm not sure.  What I can tell you is that Juneteenth is not as big of a deal anywhere in the country as it is in Texas.  From what I know about Texas, brisket is the celebration food of choice.  The real issue I have about his comment is his assumption that just anyone can make an edible brisket.  Brisket is the single least forgiving of all the barbecued meats.  

Damn, I really want some brisket now.

Edited by supremebve
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zimbra said:

Every year for Christmas my sister in Texas sends my dad and I brisket from the Salt Lick and it's the high point of every holiday.

Good brisket is one of the best things you'll ever eat.  Bad brisket is inedible...and smoking a brisket might take 18 hours of fire tending to get right.  Most people won't do that, and most of the people who will do it can't do it well.

4 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Good brisket is one of the best things you'll ever eat.  Bad brisket is inedible...and smoking a brisket might take 18 hours of fire tending to get right.  Most people won't do that, and most of the people who will do it can't do it well.

My dad's family is from Texas and I went to a school that had a large Jewish population so I was blessed to grow up exposed to two different schools of amazing brisket.

But yeah, bad brisket might as well be shoe leather.

Edited by Zimbra
  • Like 1

It took me about 4 failed tries before I got the fire/timing down to get it right.  But it also takes me 12 hours to do.

And failing hurts, because a proper sized brisket costs about $80 in Jersey.  Or used to, since it's only being sold commercially right now.

Edited by Raziel

4 minutes ago, Raziel said:

It took me about 4 failed tries before I got the fire/timing down to get it right.  But it also takes me 12 hours to do.

And failing hurts, because a proper sized brisket costs about $80 in Jersey.  Or used to, since it's only being sold commercially right now.

Around here a whole brisket is going to cost $100+.  I know of a place where I can get one a little cheaper, but it's over an hour drive and the smallest size is about 15 lbs.  It's cheaper, but it's also larger than I'd ever need.  The last one I smoked was delicious, it also took 18 hours and it was far too late to eat something as fatty as brisket when it was done (damn reflux).  

• Like 1

The uncle of mine who had COVID-19, but was asymptomatic is finally out of quarantine and they're allowed to take him out of his room and even took him for a ride and stuff. He had to wait longer because another person got exposed by going into his room long after he had gotten it even though they tested negative. The woman who worked there who had it and he got it from is fine now as is her husband. So, all is well for now on that front at least.

• Like 22

So, we just had our first two Little League practices this week. I'm coaching my nephew and nine other 9 year old boys. It looks like we're going to have a good little team but these first two practices are all we had before our first game next week. Covid had the league scrambling as we didn't even know if there was going to be a season this year until a week and a half ago. We're practicing social distancing and wearing masks which is quite the challenge with 9 year old boys. Luckily, there are never fans, just families who can sit far from each other. I'm responsible for not only coaching and teaching the game, but disinfecting all the balls and the catcher's equipment.  Also, I've got two parents as my assistant coaches and one is a semi pro softball player. It's going to be crazy, but after seeing the boys practice and watching how excited they are it's going to be worth it.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, supremebve said:

Around here a whole brisket is going to cost $100+.  I know of a place where I can get one a little cheaper, but it's over an hour drive and the smallest size is about 15 lbs.  It's cheaper, but it's also larger than I'd ever need.  The last one I smoked was delicious, it also took 18 hours and it was far too late to eat something as fatty as brisket when it was done (damn reflux).  

I have some of the same issues when buying meats. It's just me and Mom here, so anything more than five pounds is just wasted in the end. I do a lot of cheap pork in the crock pot these days.