DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - AUTUMN 2019

Guest Edwin

I find it completely acceptable, personally.

Apparently if Pochettino signs up to manage another Premier League team before the end of the season, he has to return his £12,000,000 payoff to Spurs. Daniel Levy is a smart businessman.

On 12/4/2019 at 4:11 PM, Swiftian said:

Kind of a bizarre atmosphere in the Merseyside derby. It's 4-2 at half time, but Everton's goals already feel like consolation goals even though they're obviously still in contention.

And speaking of consolation goals, Everton have cashiered Marco Silva and named Duncan Ferguson caretaker manager.

• Like 1

Highlights of something pretty neat. Gladbach top of the table and came from behind to eek out a win against visiting Bayern. Bayern now 7th, 7 points off leaders Gladbach and Leipzig is second with only a point separating them from the top. I like a random Bundesliga like back when I first got into it with sides like Stuttgart winning one off titles while Bayern "languished" prior to their proper rebuilding, having to settle for titles every other year rather than each and every year. 

• Like 1

On 12/9/2019 at 4:52 PM, Oyaji said:

Highlights of something pretty neat. Gladbach top of the table and came from behind to eek out a win against visiting Bayern. Bayern now 7th, 7 points off leaders Gladbach and Leipzig is second with only a point separating them from the top. I like a random Bundesliga like back when I first got into it with sides like Stuttgart winning one off titles while Bayern "languished" prior to their proper rebuilding, having to settle for titles every other year rather than each and every year. 

Oh lordy, yes! It's the result of football getting more and more economicially dependend. To be fair, Bayern earned the monopoly. Especially with Hoeneß as a crazy good manager. 

BUT there used to be different teams who were able to take them to the Limit regularly. Look at the 90ies, where Bayern won titles and were often in the race. But there also were teams like:

Werder Bremen: won a Championship in 93, Finishes 3rd in 91 and Runners up in 95. Won the Cup in 91, 94 and 99 aswell as the European Cup Winners' Cup in 92.

Borussia Dortmund: the only Team to win back to back championships in 95 and 96. Champions League winners 1997.

Kaiserslautern: Championships in 1991 and 1998 (the second championship after relegation 1996, repromotion 1997) aswell as Cup wins in 1990 and 1996.

There was also Stuttgart's surprise title in 1992 with an insane final Match day aswell as strong Teams from Leverkusen, Mönchengladbach, Schalke and Frankfurt at times. Outside of Frankfurt, all those teams won Cup trophies, Schalke even won the 1997 UEFA Cup. 

Leverkusen rivaled Bayern in the 99/2000 campaign aswell, and Schalke came virtually within seconds of ending a then 43 year championship title drought (which is still in full effect) in 2001, both ending in dramatic last matchday swings for Bayern. 

The nineties saw four Bayern championships (1990, 1994, 1997, 1999), 1 Cup (1998) and the 1996 UEFA Cup. This is a good decade, but the 2000s already saw six titles (Dortmund 02, Bremen 04, Stuttgart 07 and Wolfsburg 09 breaking Bayern dominance) and five cups go to Bayern. 

Shit went really downhill in the 2010s, with only 2011 and 2012 League titles going to Dortmund. Bayern won eight championships, seven of those in a row, almost all of those with matches in hand. Add five cups to that, quite often with matches against Dortmund being the deciders, and it shows you how stale German football got. I honestly don't see any team winning the championship, only them losing it. It may not be them finishing ahead by 10+ points, but as long as they are within reach, they are the ones to watch. 

That being said: I take Bayern over Red Bullshit everyday. 

Edited by ReiseReise
Weird shit went down with autocorrect
  • Like 1

Banter FC (or shall I say Mesut Ozil) pissed off the Chinese government to the point that Arsenal/Manchester City has been flexed for Wolves/Tottenham on Chinese state TV. 

Ozil was voicing support for a Muslim minority group that has been said to be targeted by the government.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50799009

Edit: Ozil gets a lot of grief from Arsenal fans, but good for him for speaking up on human rights issues.

Edited by cubbymark

16 minutes ago, cubbymark said:

Banter FC (or shall I say Mesut Ozil) pissed off the Chinese government to the point that Arsenal/Manchester City has been flexed for West Ham/Tottenham on Chinese state TV. 

Ozil was voicing support for a Muslim minority group that has been said to be targeted by the government.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50799009

Edit: Ozil gets a lot of grief from Arsenal fans, but good for him for speaking up on human rights issues.

It is essentially an attempted genocide through both mass murder and forced sterilization. If Arsenal had either a backbone or a conscience they'd tell them to shove their dirty money straight up their ass.

51 minutes ago, sabremike said:

It is essentially an attempted genocide through both mass murder and forced sterilization. If Arsenal had either a backbone or a conscience they'd tell them to shove their dirty money straight up their ass.

Arsenal do have a Visit Rwanda sponsor patch on their sleeve, so there is a precedent with them having no problem with dirty money.