DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - AUTUMN 2019

Guest Edwin

One on side of Manchester, the story is "Kompany left and everyone got injured, if only we'd signed Harry Maguire". On the other side, it's "Harry Maguire what a waste of money he's shit". Meanwhile Leicester are looking no weaker for letting him go.

English born players in the Premier League: Overrated.

The head of the English FA after the game:

“I was up in the stands with some of the FA staff. We heard some sounds which sounded like monkey chants. We had a pre-agreement with Gareth that I would come down if the game was interrupted. I heard some more chants and saw some activity which was appalling. I wouldn’t want to describe it but it was appalling, and I had a chat with Gareth at half-time.“We were told by the officials that 500 people in the corner who caused a lot of trouble has been thrown out at half-time. They said after that there were isolated examples of racist behaviour, not massed examples, and the protocol deals with massed examples of racist behaviour. They’ll have to collect more information from live footage of the game.

“I’m happy that Gareth was in control from our side. He got the players together when the first incident happened. Then, when the second incident happened the referee said, ‘Do you want to carry on?’ He said, ‘Let’s get to half-time and review it.’ He sat down with the players; they wanted to get out there and play. And I think – and this is only my opinion – there was less racism and chanting in the second half. Any of it it appalling. I spoke to Gareth at the end and he felt they made the right decision to end the game.

“I would like to see a very stringent review by UEFA. I know they take racism very, very seriously. If we say we’ve got zero tolerance for racism, then one person making money chants is the same as a hundred. To be perfectly frank, we also need to address racism in England. We have it throughout the pyramid. We shouldn’t take the moral high ground; we should join a movement to drive it out of the game. UEFA are going to have to think very carefully about the level of abuse they are willing to let players tolerate, and they are going to have to make an example of somebody one day. We have to be so proud of our team and our backroom staff, who stood shoulder to shoulder in the face of abject racism and showed they were stronger than racism.\

4 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

The head of the English FA after the game:

“I was up in the stands with some of the FA staff. We heard some sounds which sounded like monkey chants. We had a pre-agreement with Gareth that I would come down if the game was interrupted. I heard some more chants and saw some activity which was appalling. I wouldn’t want to describe it but it was appalling, and I had a chat with Gareth at half-time.“We were told by the officials that 500 people in the corner who caused a lot of trouble has been thrown out at half-time. They said after that there were isolated examples of racist behaviour, not massed examples, and the protocol deals with massed examples of racist behaviour. They’ll have to collect more information from live footage of the game.

Yes, 500 isolated incidents.  ?

19 hours ago, Pete said:

Bulgarian fans are doing their damnedest to get this game suspended.

Twats. Racism and bigotry needs to be eradicated. Throw the book at them, make a real deterrent. I doubt that happens sadly.

Edited by The Natural

As LaLiga continues to try to expand in the US, there's talks of Atlético de Madrid and Villarreal possibly playing a league game at the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami on December 7 or 8.

Fernando Roig, Villarreal's president confirms the rumors are true and that they are trying to organize for the game to take place there.

Both clubs and LaLiga have agreed to host the game oversees. Now they are just waiting for the RFEF to approve of it.

That would be a perfect way for me to end my 2019, so I hope it pans out and I get to see Atlético one more time this year, but in a competitive league game this time.

Edited by Edwin

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

There is talk of flip flopping the upcoming Clasico from Barcelona to Madrid, due to all the political unrest going on in Catalonia. 

There's talks of moving the game to Madrid, rescheduling December or playing behind closed doors which is what happened when Barcelona played against Las Palmas.

All of which Catalans do not see as viable options as the club and the Camp Nou is where they've always gone to push their political agenda.

They were pissed when the club played Las Palmas last time behind closed doors instead of standing up to authority, not playing and taking the 6 point deduction.

On 10/15/2019 at 9:09 PM, Dewar said:

Canada beats the USA in a competitive match for the first time since 1980.

Grant Wahl's aftermath piece on US's loss to Canada offers a very bleak look for the future. USSF is a dumpster fire, and it's basically a more corrupt version of say bad NBA or NFL sports ownership (think like Dan Snyder or James Dolan).

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Phil Parkinson confirmed as new Sunderland manager. Great get for the Black Cats.

I just heard about the Sunderland documentary on Netflix a couple of days ago. I'm interested in checking that out.

• Like 1

Rubiales and the RFEF pretty much shutting down Atleti vs. Villarreal being played in Miami because it "alters" competition to play league games outside of Spain, but he didn't oppose or say playing the Supercup final outside of Spain would alter the competition when he agreed to that.