DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 9/18/2019

Dolfan in NYC

Io came off like such a star. She’s always been great but I’m digging this heel presentation a lot. Bianca looked amazing too. I can dig Candice as challenger, she’s not that exciting as a potential champion but it’s a good match up to lure in new viewers. Great start to the USA era too.

I felt like Roddy/Dream dragged a little too but when they were on it was pretty great. Not a huge fan of running the same finishing sequence twice in a row at the end there. Feels like they were setting up Dream for a world title shot, it’ll be cool to see him take that next step (although he shouldn’t be champ for a while still).

Oney/Lio was fun. It’s always nice when a title scene gets a fresh injection of talent and 205 was danger close to getting stale. Seems mean to introduce a new belt to NXT that only 5 guys on the roster can’t qualify for. Although Keith Lee working the reverse of Crash Holly’s super heavyweight gimmick would be hilarious.

Have no idea what to make of the closing segment. It was entertaining at least.

Haven't seen the rest of the Network part of it but was genuinely surprised to see Lio get a title match.  i know that apparently it's best to use whoever instead of them sitting out their contracts.  But in Lio's case with what was done I thought he would be the exception.  And if he were to be on shows I figured he'd get his ass kicked for awhile.  But they did mention about how he changed his ways.  It's likely referencing him managing Lashley but I took it as something else.

Mauro really wanted us to know that Io Shirai is the "genius" of the sky.  He mentioned it at least three times before the first commercial break (maybe 4 min or match time).  Ugh.  

I'm kinda hoping he gets promoted to SDL next month.  Mostly because I'm not home on Friday nights and probably won't record the show.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Great of Play said:

Mauro really wanted us to know that Io Shirai is the "genius" of the sky.  He mentioned it at least three times before the first commercial break (maybe 4 min or match time).  Ugh.  

I'm kinda hoping he gets promoted to SDL next month.  Mostly because I'm not home on Friday nights and probably won't record the show.

I know his main issue was JBL but he's been long gone.  I don't recall him going as crazy with the references there and I wonder if that was due to Vince being in his ear.  Unless I have rose-colored glasses on maybe him to SD would be the best bet.  Or Raw, either one would be good.

5 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Nah. Mauro gets a lot of hate, and not just here. Full Sail crowd will pop for anyone, and getting a louder pop than Beth Phoenix isn't really evidence of anything.

Not that this this really matters that much, but it seems as if a lot of the time you see these things through the eyes of this board -- as if the opinion of most of us on this board was the majority, but we're obviously not.

Mauro gets pops everywhere, not just at FS and he gets love everywhere all over social media.

It's like that Gargano vs. Cole TakeOver Toronto match. To most of us on here, it was overbooked HBK buffoonery, but we are a small minority. To the other folks, the majority -- they absolutely loved it, consider it a MOTYC and they also love Gargano and Cole even though they are beyond stale to us.

3 hours ago, BurningBeard said:

I feel personally attacked

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Edited by Edwin

That crowd was molten hot ready for KUSHIDA vs. WALTER to go down right there and then.

Gotta save something for next week..

Just when you thought that AEW had the smark audience secure...

Edited by J.T.

3 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Not that this this really matters that much, but it seems as if a lot of the time you see these things through the eyes of this board -- as if the opinion of most of us on this board was the majority, but we're obviously not.

Mauro gets pops everywhere, not just at FS and he gets love everywhere all over social media.

It's like that Gargano vs. Cole TakeOver Toronto match. To most of us on here, it was overbooked HBK buffoonery, but we are a small minority. To the other folks, the majority -- they absolutely loved it, consider it a MOTYC and they also love Gargano and Cole even though they are beyond stale to us.

This is an interesting theory, but in truth, Mauro is objectively terrible. 

Truth is beauty, my friend, and beauty truth. That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.

Do not run from it. 

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of Mauro, but he does have a following. Example:

Read the replies. Majority are people calling him one of the best. ?‍♂️

7 minutes ago, Matt D said:

This is an interesting theory, but in truth, Mauro is objectively terrible. 

Truth is beauty, my friend, and beauty truth. That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.

Do not run from it. 

I feel like all this was missing was "The Shadow knows."

There's a vast middle ground between "everyone loves Mauro" and "no one loves Mauro" - you'll notice that I wasn't suggesting the latter, or even saying "most." And the DVDVR bubble does exist in a variety of ways, but to suggest that most of Mauro's detractors are concentrated on this board seems like a little much. Stats that show what "most" wrestling fans like/dislike don't really exist in any way that is available to us. I don't have some super-insider hardcore wrestling fan reason for disliking Mauro. All of the reasons that Mauro gets on my nerves (shouting all the time in a manner that everyone shits on Cole for, pop-culture references, cultural appropriation, cringey phrasing) are problems that "casual" fans could (and do) have.

4 hours ago, Great of Play said:

It's what he's supposed to do. This is the first time for some people to see her. It's hammering home what her gimmick is. Raw and Smackdown should've been doing vignettes on these folks.

• Like 3

The USA hour is on Hulu. I asked here a while ago about how this USANXT thang was going to work but no one answered. There couldn't be a crawl before the Network NXT show to let us consumers know what we are paying for?

The show(s) are (were) fun. I really liked Rush v. Lorcan - they both were laying it in and making each other look strong.

confused and a bit scared,

RAF