DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 9/18/2019

Dolfan in NYC

7 minutes ago, hammerva said:

It will also be interesting to see if that vast majority of WWE fans are as tired about Mauro as the hardcore NXT fans are.  If this was your first view of Mauro and didn't really know his story then man not very good.  

I wish this was true. He's super over with the FS crowd. He gets the loudest pop from the commentary trio when he walks out and he's adored all over social media and reddit.

I think us on here are the few that don't like him.

@Niners Fan in CT @hammerva The full "two hour" version goes live on the Network every Thursday from now on, including this week and next week when there's only one hour split between USA and the Network.

Honestly, you're lucky you're even getting the full shows on the Network the next day, since RAW and Smackdown are months behind due to TV contracts or whatever.

I watch all 5hrs on monday/Tuesday and follow along nxt. For a first night showing live on USA for the 1 hour, it was good. for the new audience, Dream is a stud and Bianca shined  and Candice. What will the ratings be?  i think it went well despite being chopped in half

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Is DVDVR still a safe place to talk about how shitty someone’s punches are?  Because wow, Dream was throwing a ton of shitty punches tonight.

Dream/Roddy was weirdly listless to me.

Yeah, Dream's punches looked like shit and honestly, he may be the dude so many on here love, but his wrestler cover band act is starting to get tired. I will say this though, he's done this routine better than anyone else, so he's got that going for him.

Otherwise, I thought the USA stuff was pretty...meh. Like, I don't buy Candice as a competitor for the title. It should be Io in that spot or just get the title onto Ripley.

The Network stuff fared better though. I really loved Oney vs Lio, but to give Lio that big of a win and have him earn a title shot this fast is weird.

And while I love a good fight, I wasn't feeling the big brawl at the end. It needed to go somewhere and instead it just made the ending feel flat. When you have a brawl that big, you need to have someone unexpected come out and beat ass. I thought that maybe Dain and Riddle would just fuck everyone else up and get back to their match or I thought this is where Kevin Owens would return to NXT and be the fuckin' murder panda again, but we got Dain doing a suicida and...that's it.

52 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think Roddy and Candice were the wrong choices to go over on the first show.  They should be presenting Dream and Io and even Bianca as the future of wrestling.

One of the good things about this, though, ties into NXT's bigger weakness for the show.

Not to steal the gimmick of quoting from NBC shows, but as their rerun tagline went- if you haven't seen it, it's new to you, and the vast majority of the NXT roster is new to the casual wrestling fan (and most casual fans...probably don't remember "that one guy in that TNA stable 14 years ago" or even "that one Black Lotus Triad member".) With Candice, it's even easier since this is her first real run in a national promotion. 

That's a plus of giving Roddy/Candice the win, but it's related to a curse: You're expected to KNOW all of these people going into the show, which is fine for regular NXT viewers, but bad for people tuning in. There should have been more promos or vignettes to get you up to speed- who everyone is and why you should care about them. 

The big matches had the "watch them, that's why you should care"- which makes things worse (most notably: Cameron Grimes has no particular character yet, even if you follow NXT religiously, and was given a short squash match. A vignette would have helped Grimes far, far, far more than that short squash did.) 

• Like 1

Ripley already had her match with Shayna, didn't she? I don't watch NXT weekly (but I will be now that it's on cable), but I thought I saw a video on YouTube of highlights of their match or something. It seemed like Rhea Ripley confronting Shayna was just a placeholder until this week when the real program(s) for her start. I agree it should be Io (eventually), but all of the fucking champions on this show are heels. So Candice or Dakota Kai, being the pure babyfaces that they are, should dethrone her.

Please send Undisputed Era, Ciampa, Velveteen Dream and Johnny Gargano to the main roster so I never have to see any of them ever again.

7 hours ago, Edwin said:

I wish this was true. He's super over with the FS crowd. He gets the loudest pop from the commentary trio when he walks out and he's adored all over social media and reddit.

I think us on here are the few that don't like him.

Nah. Mauro gets a lot of hate, and not just here. Full Sail crowd will pop for anyone, and getting a louder pop than Beth Phoenix isn't really evidence of anything. I'm hoping the live-every-week schedule will be too much for him and he fucks off back to MMA full-time where he can't ruin wrestling shows.

Since it took two damn years to get to the tired Horsemen titles angle, I'm not holding out much hope that it'll be over soon. I love that when Triple H did this with Evolution in 2003 he was Satan cosplaying Ric Flair, but it's somehow innovative and fresh booking in 2019 when less talented people are doing it.

I see with Lio Rush they're continuing their policy of "reward the wrestler that complains the loudest." How could that ever come back and bite them in the ass?

7 hours ago, Edwin said:

Candice is only going to be a transitional champion. She'll drop it in a short timeframe to Io.

I don't think she will even win.  I am convinced that Shayna is getting the Asuka retirement ceremony.     Candice winning made sense in the fact that almost every other woman has been beaten like a drum in the last 2 years.  At least Candice hasn't had a significant loss.   

The only reason the show is split on the Network right now is because they raced to put the 2nd hour up so people can see it since the Network crashed at the beginning.

They even sent out an email saying it was available which they have never done before

I think one of the benefits of Full Sail is that the crowd is a lot more forgiving than anywhere else.  A botch like the one in the Xia Li / Aaliyah match would have been laughed out of the building and serenaded with "YOU FUCKED UP" chants.  I think the crowd was more concerned than anything and supportive when they got it back together.  That said, it still looked liked Aaliyah got clipped with something and they had to hurry up to the finish. 

In the show ending brawl I really wanted Dain and Riddle to finish their match with a pier six brawl on the floor. 

10 hours ago, Edwin said:

Triple H running through the crowd chanting NXT is like that 40+ year old dude who gets a midlife crisis and goes to a show and gets in a mosh pit trying to relive the glory days of his youth.

I feel personally attacked

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I really liked the show ending early. It made the brawl feel more chaotic, in a way that "authority figure storms out and sets up next week's match at 9:59" would not have. Obviously they can't play around with time like that on USA, so going short (and maybe long next week) while they still have the Network slot is another way to make the show feel different.