DVDVR Message Board

Hell in a Cell XI - 10/6/2019

Dolfan in NYC

A Ronda vs. Becky one-on-one match makes sense, but Ronda is a big question mark right now and we have no idea when she's coming back. 

Also no reason Sasha couldn't win the belt now and have her lose it back at some point to resume a Becky/Ronda feud. 

It's not like Becky is undefeated. She got submitted by Asuka clean the night of Royal Rumble 2019.

Just to continue shoveling the dirt, if Hell in a Cell wasn't dead as a match and event, it was already. Enough's enough.

I used to think Hell in a Cell was cool as a match/visual concept. A roofed cage that took up even more than the ring and was big enough to do moves on the floor and fit a camera man in. Cool. It sort of added another layer of potential brutality because the roof meant getting on top of the roof and some chaos could happen.

Now it's just another tired, overused WWE gimmick.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I used to think Hell in a Cell was cool as a match/visual concept. A roofed cage that took up even more than the ring and was big enough to do moves on the floor and fit a camera man in. Cool. It sort of added another layer of potential brutality because the roof meant getting on top of the roof and some chaos could happen.

That has been the case since they decided to make it an annual match/ppv. They screwed up TLC the same way as well. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

IMHO a referee stoppage is a TKO and a decisive finish. That's not what happened here.

And also, it's a Hell in a Cell match. When has a HIAC ever been stopped for use of a weapon like that? And also the referee having a moral argument with Seth Rollins like he's a fucking superhero talking down Punisher or Wolverine from killing someone.  

Exactly. Bret vs. Austin at WM13 was a ref stoppage (and one that actually protected and even helped the loser, but that's another story)

all the physical/non-verbal cues they gave the audience lined up with what wrestling has spent decades and generations telling its audience is a DQ finish.  As for the verbal cues, well, that's the problem, there wasn't one.  You've got ring announcers for this sort of thing.  Use them.

Debating whether it was a ref stoppage or a DQ is almost beside the point.  Or perhaps it is the point.  There was no official announcement.  They did not deign to tell their paying audience what the finish was.  Nor, it seems, did they deign to inform their promotional partners since FOX had to make an ultimately incorrect guess in that since-deleted tweet.  If you want a mystery or to keep the live audience in suspense about the decision, sure you can have a delay.  Or have a huddle of referees have a spirited discussion with wild gesticulation like they're having a serious argument.  But you pay it off for the paying audience.  What do they always do after a baseball or football game or whatever?  The Public Address Announcers announces the final score, no matter how apparent it is.  It's part of the presentation.  Kayfabe may have gone out the window long ago but wrestling still presents as a sports-like product (hence the "sports" in sports entertainment)

Hell, even the "we create moments, pal!" should remember how many of those moments involved the official announcement.  Howard Finkle's "...and NEW champion!" is as memorable as the matches themselves.

If you're that worried the audience is going to react badly to the official announcement of your fuck finish, maybe that's an indication you should rethink your fuck finish.  The crowd was already shitting on the finish.  Saying "the ref has stopped this match and awarded it to Seth Rollins" wouldn't have made it worse, and wussing out and saying nothing sure as hell didn't mitigate anything.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The minute they decided to name PPVs after gimmick matches is when the gimmicks were destroyed. Gimmick matches should always be administered to elevate feuds, they upended the element of surprise.

Money in the bank works because the entire concept is working toward that element of surprise. It's by far the best concept they have.

• Like 9

Natalya was Becky's last feud, the last time Ruby was on TV she got squashed by Becky in under 5 minutes. They don't really put anyone else on that level like Sasha was, but at least they *finally* referenced the Asuka defeat. I can see them keeping the title on her until a Shayna feud, if Ronda's not coming back.

IN THEORY Becky should want a piece of Bayley long enough for one PPV bout, since Bayley's turn did come at her expense.  And the segue would be easy enough to book since Bayley and Sasha are aligned.

But who knows.  All I know is I'm probably thinking more about this than they are and I'm not even getting paid for it so

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

15 hours ago, Eivion said:

That has been the case since they decided to make it an annual match/ppv. They screwed up TLC the same way as well. 

14 hours ago, Rehabilitated Rick said:

The minute they decided to name PPVs after gimmick matches is when the gimmicks were destroyed. Gimmick matches should always be administered to elevate feuds, they upended the element of surprise.

Money in the bank works because the entire concept is working toward that element of surprise. It's by far the best concept they have.

I'm no fan of the Hell in a Cell and TLC PPV either. Those gimmick matches were once reserved for the hottest rivalries and only be used once or twice a year.

I don't have that problem with the Elimination Chamber and Money in the Bank shows.

I think Seth Rollins vs. The Fiend Bray Wyatt inside Hell in a Cell has replaced The Undertaker vs. Goldberg at Super Showdown as the worst match this year. I thought that wouldn't be topped. Undertaker/Goldberg was both sad and dangerous. Goldberg getting concussed, dropped on his head taking the Tombstone Piledriver, Goldberg spiking Undertaker while attempting the Jackhammer and the terrible match ending Chokeslam.

Seth Rollins vs. The Fiend in the Hell in a Cell kept the WWE Universal Championship on somebody who shouldn't have it, the Fiend needed to run through Rollins but didn't and damaged the Hell in a Cell match itself with THAT finish. Said finish led to loud boos, chants of bullshit, restart the match and AEW. That level of ineptitude takes some doing.

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

I think Seth Rollins vs. The Fiend Bray Wyatt inside Hell in a Cell has replaced The Undertaker vs. Goldberg at Super Showdown as the worst match this year. I thought that wouldn't be topped. Undertaker/Goldberg was both sad and dangerous. Goldberg getting concussed, dropped on his head taking the Tombstone Piledriver, Goldberg spiking Undertaker while attempting the Jackhammer and the terrible match ending Chokeslam.

Seth Rollins vs. The Fiend in the Hell in a Cell kept the WWE Universal Championship on somebody who shouldn't have it, the Fiend needed to run through Rollins but didn't and damaged the Hell in a Cell match itself with THAT finish. Said finish led to loud boos, chants of bullshit, restart the match and AEW. That level of ineptitude takes some doing.

I think there is a big difference between sloppy in ring work that puts people’s health/safety in danger, and being dissatisfied with the booking/theatrics.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

For the "How are they explaining it in kayfabe" crowd

What the fuck is a referee stoppage? Is it a knockout win for Rollins or not? Or is it a No Contest? This is bullshit and makes no sense. They did this same bs when Reigns speared Lesnar out of the cage in that shitty event too. Hot garbage.

• Like 2

First page, I posted my top ten Hell in a Cell matches. I now have to update it:

1. Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker. In Your House 18: Badd Blood 1997. *****. Best match of BOTH men's careers. A true classic.

2. Brock Lesnar vs. The Undertaker. No Mercy 2002. *****.

3. The Undertaker vs. Triple H. WrestleMania XXVIII. *****.

4. The Undertaker vs. Mankind. King of the Ring 1998.

5. Batista vs. The Undertaker. Survivor Series 2007.

6. Batista vs. Triple H. Vengeance 2005.

7. Kurt Angle vs. Steve Austin vs. The Rock vs. The Undertaker vs. Triple H vs. Rikishi. Armageddon 2000.

8. Becky Lynch vs. Sasha Banks. Hell in a Cell 2019.

9. The Usos vs. The New Day. Hell in a Cell 2017.

10. Brock Lesnar vs. The Undertaker. Hell in a Cell 2015. 

I do miss when Hell in a Cell matches were used from 1997-2008 for the hottest feuds before the yearly Hell in a Cell PPV. Some of the latter didn't belong inside Hell in a Cell. 

There's one more thing I miss, the original Hell in a Cell from 1997-2005 was so much better. 

hell-in-a-cell.jpg

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2