DVDVR Message Board

Hell in a Cell XI - 10/6/2019

Dolfan in NYC

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

That's the thing.  I 100% agree that the Fiend gimmick does not need a title in order to be over.

My problem is how you can book Seth vs. Fiend in a gimmick match where the whole point is to have a decisive winner and then kill them both by booking a No Contest? 

That makes zero sense from a booking perspective or from a mat psychology perspective.   It's the X-Pac Heat version of sending them home unhappy.  It's the polar opposite of the NWO Hogan heel turn.

I am almost tempted to DVR RAW on Monday Night since I'm working graveyard and will be passed out when it's on television, and see how they intend to clean this up and maybe that was the real objective of that shitshow of a PPV.

Well the WWE didn't have to immediately book Fiend in a title match. They could've had him go after Braun or whoever else.

4 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Well the WWE didn't have to immediately book Fiend in a title match. They could've had him go after Braun or whoever else.

How do you transition the Fiend from one feud to another after one fucking title match?  There is no gold in a feud with Braun unless the book intends to make yet another dumb decision and turn Braun heel.

Edited by J.T.
  • Sad 1

Actually, the idea of Braun turning heel and joining the cast of Firefly Funhouse makes me smile a little.  How will they find a sweater that size that will fit Braun?

I just think it would be a bad idea because I'm tired of Braun getting screwed over in main event singles championship matches and putting the Fiend in a program with Braun forces you to put one over the other when the angle is eventually blown off.

Edited by J.T.

Honestly? The Fiend shouldnt have had another match until after Survivor Series.

Fantasy booking - 

Bray apologizes for what happened to Balor. Says he will get it under control.

Fiend appears and attacks Kane etc.

Balor returns on draft night and calls out The Fiend to face The Demon.

Bray apologizes again. Avoids confrontation. Video packages only for the Fiend while Mr Rodgers Wyatt shows up for a match in the arena every now and then, again claiming he has everything 'under control'.

Balor beats someone (Murphy?) in a match on the Saudi card to show that he is back to 100%

The Demon v The Fiend is set for Survivor Series. Winner gets a title shot at the Rumble

Demon turns up but Fiend doesn't. Its Mr Rodgers Wyatt and Balor beats him bloody, screaming for the Fiend to "show himself".

Balor beats Rollins for the title at the Rumble. Next night Rollins opens the show for a promo and the lights go out.The Fiend is back. He lays waste to Rollins before he utters a single word. He is coming for The Demon...

Long burn to Mania. Balor defends against Murphy in a rematch from the Saudi show along the way, Fiend gets to maul Rollins and give him some time off to freshen up. We get Demon vs Fiend for the Universal title and the Demon suffers his first ever loss.

Now you've had 6 months of story, built up 2 strong characters and evolved both. Who is in control: The Fiend or Bray Wyatt? Can Finn Balor come back after The Demon has been defeated? It also opens up some work with Rollins. He will want revenge but can he do it alone? He slayed The Beast but in the end, Lesnar is just a man while The Fiend is... more...

That would require some character development and long term story telling.

Or, you know, ship Balor to NXT with no explanation to create a "moment" and then feed Wyatt/Fiend to Rollins because he is THE GUY who is leading the roster to record low ratings against the hottest competition the company has faced in 20 years...

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Easy way out tonight - 

Put the match on first. Rollins dominates early ala the Balor/Lesnar match at the Rumble. Plunder involved, including the Universal title belt, but The Fiend won't stay down.

Rollins goes for the kill shot but the lights go out ala The Undertaker. Fiend now up standing and he locks in the claw. Rollins almost passes out but the Fiend starts twitching and lets go of the hold.

He listens to his hands...

hurt...

heal...

hurt...

HEAL!

The Fiend looks at his hand in disbelief. REALLY? Heal? Are we sure?

He leaves the barely conscious Rollins in the ring throwing down the Universal title on his way up the ramp.

Rollins shows the Fiend can be vulnerable (if it bleeds we can kill it), The Fiend shows he is unstoppable when he gets rolling but also that, even when dominating a match, it's not all about winning and championships. It's about sending a message to the 'bad' people he sees in the world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, L_W_P said:
On 10/5/2019 at 4:42 PM, L_W_P said:

I've only read a recap and watched YouTube highlights but if I could delete one guys career from pro wrestling it would be Lesnar.

I wish he went straight to MMA or became a football star.

Dude is almost single handedly responsible for Vince deciding that "The BRAND is the Star" and watering down anyone who wasn't a locked in, yes sir, WWE lifer.

Now he walks in and out as he likes, winning titles and doing NOTHING to elevate anyone.

What was the point of Rollins beating him if he was just going to turn around and squash Kofi? Why not save the MITB case and do it that way?

Whydoes Rey want to call up Cain? Is he not man enough to step up to Brock himself? Hasn't his whole WWE career been built on fighting big bully types?

Its the same as Balor going to NXT. Great moment but what's the character motivation for doing that? Is he afraid of The Fiend? Can he not summon The Demon for at least 1 rematch to try and restore some pride? Or do we just sweep that away because "Hey hey, don't watch AEW, we have Finn Balor on NXT!"?

I mean honestly... They aren't even trying any more. Its just booking for a series of "moments" that get people talking before any serious thought reveals how badly it's been done.

By the time people are on board with the issues another "moment" rolls along and its onto the next...

I agree heavily with a lot of that, but I'll counter the Lesnar being the catalyst argument.

That mentality was well and truly in the swing of things when Austin walked in 02, or the Rock left to make movies.

Could even make an argument for it being Hogan leaving in 92 or Savage fucking him over to go to WCW too.

• Like 1

While it sounds like the main event was a disaster, as a Brit who had to sleep rather than watch this PPV, I can honestly say I've never been more excited to finish work and watch a Seth Rollins match than I am right now. Terrible wrestling is always more fun than boring wrestling ?

Shocked anyone thought Becky was losing. She's on the cover of the new game and had a big segment with the Rock on the Fox debut. You don't do that and then immediately make her lose the belt. Becky's the star of the women's division, she's not losing right after being introduced to a new audience 

• Like 1

I like Becky and all but she makes things boring by constantly clearing out the top contenders in the division. 

Sasha comes back to major heat and fanfare only to be killed dead decisively in two straight title matches?  

Whose the next challenger?  Ruby Riott? Ember Moon? Natalya? Fuck that division.

Sasha needed that win a lot more than Becky did, but I figured that the point of the angle where the front office punished Sasha for holding out had to start sometime.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 6

27 minutes ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

Time to call up Shayna 

So that match can also end up in a No Contest since the book obviously want to protect both of them to the exclusion of everything else?  I'll pass.

It would be interesting to see how they could book that match in a way where they both pass out to each other's submission finisher at the same time so that no one has to tap out or have their shoulders counted down.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

EGPQBLEX0AAqyeG?format=jpg&name=900x900

Congratulations, Kabuki Warriors.

I am not sure what makes this image more awesome.  The cute ladies basking in the glow of victory or the fact that the physical evidence of Asuka's cheating is right there for the viewing.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, BurningBeard said:

If it was possible to still kill a town, the main event sounds like it would have done exactly that

Really loud boos and chants of bullshit, AEW and refunds. Didn't stop when the PPV went off air.

Really loved Sasha/Becky but I also wonder where Sasha goes from here. She’s been red hot and needed the win far more than Becky.

Charlotte winning was a foregone conclusion. She’s definitely the woman Fox wants to spotlight. The match was decent enough and liked the glimpse we got of “why’s it always me” Bayley.

I want to cheer the Kabuki Warriors even more now. 

• Like 2

As ridiculous as the match was, would it come anywhere near close to the top 5 dumbest Undertaker (and I guess also Kane) moments? He kidnapped the boss’s daughter to marry her in a satanic wedding (which ended up being revealed to be a plot his boss was in on),  hung someone from Hell in a Cell, embalmed Mideon on air (those three all happening within 6 months or so and then not long after disappeared and returned 6 months later as a Biker without any of those powers for the next 3 or so years) has been buried alive and almost killed his manager/possible father by encasing him in a cement crypt in the middle of an arena. How about his early involvement in the Warrior/Roberts angle. So the reaction about this being company killing seems just a little hyperbolic. 

My personal problem with the match was they had so many moments where it killed the suspension of disbelief. If it was just the cartoonishly large mallet and the over the top cartoon violence, with the match/show ending when the ref called the “no contest”, with the post match antics moved to Raw tomorrow, the angle as a whole probably wouldn’t have come across so badly and still serves all the same purposes (keeps title on Seth while still allowing Bray to no sell the beat down as he was never pinned and fresh enough 24 hours later after the most violent in ring beating in however long to get his vengeance). As it was, it was just too much to pack into 30 minutes. If people are mentally checking out 4/5 times because they find the stuff so over the top (personally the red light, the mallet, the violence, the eventual no selling of the violence and then the fake blood at the end we’re the main bits where I just chuckled at how fake/ridiculous it was), you’re going to get the reaction that was seen tonight. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jamal said:

Really loved Sasha/Becky but I also wonder where Sasha goes from here. She’s been red hot and needed the win far more than Becky.

Yeah, but Vince enjoys his petty tortures and I figured we had to get to the meta where the book punished Sasha for trying to sit out of the remainder of her contract.  Neither Charlotte nor Becky needed those wins, but Bayley / Sasha could've gotten a lot of mileage out of victory.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Having watched the impressive 1-2 punch of the fantastic women's HIAC and the non-stop action packed Tornado Tag I was all ready to bring the positivity and give the Vince devil puppet his due. But alas the arena turned red and the booking turned to shit.

Imagine being in Becky's shoes right now. Kills it and kills herself in the brutal curtain jerking match, and it is but a faint, fond memory by the time her fiance has thoroughly shit the bed to the point where the fans are vocally demanding their money back. And it's not even (mostly) his fault.

@The Natural  Timmy Mallet was the first thing I thought of when I saw that comically proportioned monstrosity of a mallet, probably the same for most Brits our age. 

Sean Waltman, bless him, honest to a fault. Oh well, at least when HHH takes over he should be a lifer, even if we don't see him on Watch Along for a little while. 

Edited by Custos
  • Thanks 1

What’s really dumb is that the nonstop trying to kill each other would be an ideal setup for a hell in a cell match. But maybe I’m thinking too much. Hats off to Sean Waltman for pointing out how stupid this all is on an official program.

in other news, if that was supposed to turn the kabuki warriors then they shit the bed there too. I’m not against evil Asuka and Kairi but they failed miserably if I’m supposed to hate them. I did crack up at the ref apparently not noticing or caring that Nikki’s face is green and that Asuka has green down the front of her. It’s cool. ?

putting aside my “netico” crush on Bayley, they have dropped the ball with a vengeance on her heel turn. Gets her ass kicked left and right and does nothing of note. I get the feeling the tantrum post match is supposed to go somewhere but I ain’t holding my breath

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Phil4126 said:

in other news, if that was supposed to turn the kabuki warriors then they shit the bed there too. I’m not against evil Asuka and Kairi but they failed miserably if I’m supposed to hate them. I did crack up at the ref apparently not noticing or caring that Nikki’s face is green and that Asuka has green down the front of her. It’s cool. ?

putting aside my “netico” crush on Bayley, they have dropped the ball with a vengeance on her heel turn. Gets her ass kicked left and right and does nothing of note. I get the feeling the tantrum post match is supposed to go somewhere but I ain’t holding my breath

I can love despicable Kabuki Warriors enough to ignore the faux pas of the finish.  If you're going to use the old Asian Mist dealie as a screwjob finish, I think it would've been better for Kairi to have been legal and taken it home after the cheat spot to keep Asuka and the evidence our of the ref's vantage point.

However, I'm not a big fan of her Sliding D as a flash finish and the book has been historically fearful of her using her big elbow too often.  Asuka taking the pin on Bliss makes the ref look like an idiot, but dumb officials are a wrasslin' tradition.

I totally agree that Bayley and Sasha would've gotten far more mileage out of wins that Charlotte or Becky will.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I felt like I knew Becky was winning as soon as Sasha came out. She looked super disinterested in doing her mannerisms.

But then the match was so good, I second-guessed even bringing it up.

I guess I've triple-guessed now.

Anyway, that match was really good, probably my favorite of either of theirs in a really long time.

• Like 1