DVDVR Message Board

Hell in a Cell XI - 10/6/2019

Dolfan in NYC

This show is in 3 weeks!  Hurry!  Let's put together something.

Updated as they announce, here's the card:

HELL IN A CELL MATCH FOR THE WWE UNIVERSAL CHAMPIONSHIP - Seth Rollins (c) vs. Bray Wyatt

HELL IN A CELL MATCH FOR THE WWE RAW WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Becky Lynch (c) vs. Sasha Banks

Roman Reigns & Daniel Bryan vs. Erick Rowan & Luke Harper

The timing for this is pretty good.  I think you could put the belt on the Fiend now and get four months of mileage out of it before you sign the Fiend vs. Demon King showdown at WM 2020 and have Bray drop the belt to Finn or (if the Fiend's championship run is still hot) have Finn win by DQ / Fiend retains and book the final title change showdown at SummerSlam.

Provided that Finn does not injure his shoulder or his knees in the interim.... or if Creative doesn't have Demon King Finn turn heel and join the Fiend.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Looking forward to both Hell in a Cell matches. The Fiend needs to run through Seth Rollins, be fucking stupid if Rollins wins. I expect Sasha Banks to become the first five time WWE RAW Women's Champion beating Becky Lynch. It will only be the second female Hell in a Cell match.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Natural said:

The Fiend needs to run through Seth Rollins, be fucking stupid if Rollins wins.

HIAC is No DQ or Count-Out so for Rollins to win, he'd have to pin The Fiend or make him submit and that would be the worst thing for the gimmick right now.

They've sorta painted themselves into a corner by booking this title match under that kind of stipulation.  There's no way to book a title retention and protect the Fiend at the same time.  Seth has to lose in order to keep the Fiend gimmick going strong..

The only protection you can provide is to send Seth out as a badass by making him pass out to the Mandible Claw rather than tap out or by having the Fiend nearly kill Seth in order to keep him down for a pinfall..

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, J.T. said:

HIAC is No DQ or Count-Out so for Rollins to win, he'd have to pin The Fiend or make him submit and that would be the worst thing for the gimmick right now.

They've sorta painted themselves into a corner by booking this title match under that kind of match.  There's no way to book a title retention and protect the Fiend at the same time.  Seth has to lose in order to keep the Fiend gimmick going strong..

The only protection you can provide is to send Seth out as a badass by making him pass out to the Mandible Claw rather than tap out or by having the Fiend nearly kill Seth in order to keep him down for a pinfall..

I'm reminded of CM Punk vs. Ryback. Ryback didn't win so they tried to give him an out with Brad Maddox as the corrupt referee.

Edited by The Natural

5 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I'm reminded of CM Punk vs. Ryback. Ryback didn't win the big one so they tried to give him an out with Brad Maddox as the corrupt referee.

I could see Vince putting in a biased ref to screw the Fiend over given the way Bray portrays the boss in episodes of the Firefly Funhouse, but then you run the risk of making the Fiend an anti-hero tween gimmick and I am not sure if that is desirable.

I think it would be better if Rollins just fought valiantly and then went out on his shield, no pun intended..  A clean loss might make people not hate him legit so much.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

My booking:

Bray Wyatt's Fiend needs to beat Seth Rollins. Then you do less in more so you get a special attraction. We're used to absentee WWE Universal Champions anyway.

You do Firefly Fun House every few weeks with sporadic Fiend appearances. Fiend needs to be at Survivor Series as in recent times, the WWE Champion goes up against the WWE Universal Champion. Fiend goes over here and next wrestles at the Royal Rumble and heads into WrestleMania XXXVI as WWE Universal Champion. The Fiend's entrance will make for a hell of a spectacle.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

Title change for the Fiend would go down in October.

maxresdefault.jpg

Just in time for Halloween!

The Fiend's mask is fucking perfect. Bray Wyatt's done a great job as the host of the Firefly Fun House and the alter ego of the Fiend. Hell of a change in fortune for Bray Wyatt in 2019 to where he was a year ago.

The Fiend becoming World Champion during Halloween Season makes too much sense so I naturally become paranoid about the WWE outsmarting themselves trying to "surprise" us.

Tantamount to passing from the 1 yard line when you've got 3 time outs, one minute left, and a dominant running game, and we've all seen how that cutesy bullshit repeatedly backfires.  Sometimes the obvious is obvious because it's the only thing that's logical.

As far as Protective results go, don't forget that the very first Hell In A Cell ended on a run-in, so, the corner is never quite so tight.  Though it's much preferable the Fiend Bray provides his own chicanery [Rollins should definitely freak out at one point when he tries to find a foreign object under the ring and only finds the Mercy The Buzzard puppet. WWE's idea of MIND GAMES~! or whatever.]

My ten best Hell in a Cell matches:

1. Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker. In Your House 18: Badd Blood 1997. *****. Best match of both men's careers.

2. Brock Lesnar vs. The Undertaker. No Mercy 2002. *****.

3. The Undertaker vs. Triple H. WrestleMania XXVIII. *****.

4. The Undertaker vs. Mankind. King of the Ring 1998.

5. Batista vs. The Undertaker. Survivor Series 2007.

6. Batista vs. Triple H. Vengeance 2005.

7. Kurt Angle vs. Steve Austin vs. The Rock vs. The Undertaker vs. Triple H vs. Rikishi. Armageddon 2000.

8. Triple H vs. Cactus Jack. No Way Out 2000.

9. The Usos vs. The New Day. Hell in a Cell 2017.

10. Brock Lesnar vs. The Undertaker. Hell in a Cell 2015. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I could see Vince putting in a biased ref to screw the Fiend over given the way Bray portrays the boss in episodes of the Firefly Funhouse, but then you run the risk of making the Fiend an anti-hero tween gimmick and I am not sure if that is desirable.

I think it would be better if Rollins just fought valiantly and then went out on his shield, no pun intended..  A clean loss might make people not hate him legit so much.

Also that shifts the problem to one of The Fiend now needing to consistently destroy Shane McMahon & his proxies on a level that no longer happens to the McMahons on WWE TV (and if it did, The Fiend then becomes your #1 Babyface, no anti-hero qualifiers necessary)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Also that shifts the problem to one of The Fiend now needing to consistently destroy Shane McMahon & his proxies on a level that no longer happens to the McMahons on WWE TV (and if it did, The Fiend then becomes your #1 Babyface, no anti-hero qualifiers necessary).

But he has the potential to become that anyway thanks to Rollins's current levels of X-Pac heat, right?

Bray is now faced with the dilemma of every heel thrown at John Cena or pre-Leukemia Roman Reigns:  make himself look like a world beater while also trying to convince the crowd that the alleged face does not deserve the beating he's about to get.

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

But he has the potential to become that anyway thanks to Rollins's current levels of X-Pac heat, right?

Bray is now faced with the dilemma of every heel thrown at John Cena or pre-Leukemia Roman Reigns:  make himself look like a world beater while also trying to convince the crowd that the alleged face does not deserve the beating he's about to get.

well, "YOW-IE WOW-IE (Clap, Clap, Clap-Clap-Clap)" chants are already a thing so he's halfway there as is.  And like with The Undertaker way back when, "cool factor" makes a quick face turn almost inevitable.

Hopefully you were right Upthread about Rollins, in that letting him take a total ass whipping of a loss will ultimately endear him more to fans, in that "its not how often you're knocked down it's how often you get up" sort of way.  Of course that also takes the right sort of promo the night after...

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think Bray/The Fiend could work as a babyface character especially if he's fighting a foreign heel.  Undertaker was a deadman and burned his parents but dammit he was an American. 

I still love that when Undertaker joined Team USA at Survivor Series 93 they thought/remembered to have the dead man from another era still using an outdated version of the US Flag

(they got the era wrong, but still...)

21 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

well, "YOW-IE WOW-IE (Clap, Clap, Clap-Clap-Clap)" chants are already a thing so he's halfway there as is. 

It also does not help that Firefly Funhouse is a pretty damning critique on Vince and his business practices.... and I am in total agreement with Bray's feelings and opinions..

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Hopefully you were right Upthread about Rollins, in that letting him take a total ass whipping of a loss will ultimately endear him more to fans, 

Nothing less than a Ricky Steamboat pre title match ass whipping will do.  Timekeeper's bell across the throat, mat burns, and everything. 

If there are no children weeping or no new Surprised Guy or Angry Girl memes the next day, it will be a failure.

With our kind of luck, that will be the one beating where Bray decides to listen to the Heal hand for a change.

Edited by J.T.
  • Haha 3

I'm not super worried about Seth winning HIAC. With how fast they have come to this and no obvious WM main event it feels like the Fiend winning is nearly a certainty. They seem to recognize they have something special with this reborn Bray. The only worry I have about this particular match is whether or not it will be some long epic bs so Seth can go out "strong" or if they will let Bray murder Seth in 5-8 minutes like he should. Assuming the Fiend does become champ I do hope they try to use him sparingly and realize that there is money in Demon King Balor vs. the Fiend for the Universal Title at Wrestlemania. 

Becky vs. Sasha should be good. I just hope Sasha wins and that its the main event.

35 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I'm not super worried about Seth winning HIAC. With how fast they have come to this and no obvious WM main event it feels like the Fiend winning is nearly a certainty. They seem to recognize they have something special with this reborn Bray. The only worry I have about this particular match is whether or not it will be some long epic bs so Seth can go out "strong" or if they will let Bray murder Seth in 5-8 minutes like he should. Assuming the Fiend does become champ I do hope they try to use him sparingly and realize that there is money in Demon King Balor vs. the Fiend for the Universal Title at Wrestlemania. 

Becky vs. Sasha should be good. I just hope Sasha wins and that its the main event.

Bayley takes her jacket off to reveal she’s been hugging bolt cutters all night to smuggle them to ringside and cuts her way in to interfere

If you’re gonna call them Horsewomen it’s high time one of them gets on a Tully Blanchard tip* and she’s closest to wrestling the part right now

*or actually hire Tessa