DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2019 - WEEK THREE

RIPPA

2 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

I think the biggest problem with Eli’s case is I never really personally viewed him as a top 5 QB in the league at any point. It’s hard to justify a player you don’t view as being elite at any real time to be a Hall if Famer.

In general - that can be a flimsy way to consider HOF candidates

There are a laundry list of RBs I have watched over the decades (because I am old) that I would never ever say were Top 5 and they are in the HOF

But that is also a basis for the general small Hall vs. large Hall that can also be seen with MLB too

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Is that what we're calling raging alcoholism these days?  

I'll just assume you went for the cheap gag and are aware both guys suffered terrible leg injuries that robbed both of their mobility.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

I'll just assume you went for the cheap gag and are aware both guys suffered terrible leg injuries that robbed both of their mobility.

Yeah, but Namath's wasn't caused by Dimaggio being a preening ass. As for Manning, I can see the case both ways. His number's are pretty good, but he played in an era of offensive expansion.Maybe this era's Jim Plunkett?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

I'm not saying Eli is a stone cold lock but people really love overestimating how many football players were actually good for over 5 years.

Two rings is getting him in.

In no particular order. Obvious Hall Of Famers bolded.

Brady.

Rodgers.

Brees.

Peyton Manning.

Roethlisberger.

Wilson.

Rivers.

Ryan.

Stafford.

Romo.

Newton. 

Alex Smith.

Luck had five good seasons when he retired. 

Favre  is another Hall Of Famer but he really only had three good seasons while his career overlapped with Eli's.

Warner is another Hall of Famer that only had three good seasons after Eli entered the league. Besides being inextricably linked by Warner serving as the half-season placeholder for Eli during his rookie season, he's also a good case study as a guy who declined in the middle of his career, and was only really good for five out of ten years as a starter.

If you just take the first nine names on the list, you have nine sturdy long-term starters whose careers matched or surpassed Eli's numbers wise in terms of quantity and/or quality.  Wilson, Ryan, and Stafford have to last quite a few more seasons before they match Eli's actual totals but they've all had similar quality careers to Eli so far. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&player_id1_hint=Eli+Manning&player_id1_select=Eli+Manning&fromyear_1=2004&toyear_1=2019&player_id1=MannEl00&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Russell+Wilson&player_id2_select=Russell+Wilson&fromyear_2=2012&toyear_2=2019&player_id2=WilsRu00&idx=players&player_id3_hint=Matthew+Stafford&player_id3_select=Matthew+Stafford&fromyear_3=2009&toyear_3=2019&player_id3=StafMa00&idx=players&player_id4_hint=Matt+Ryan&player_id4_select=Matt+Ryan&fromyear_4=2008&toyear_4=2019&player_id4=RyanMa00&idx=players&player_id5_hint=&player_id5_select=&player_id5=&idx=&player_id6_hint=&player_id6_select=&player_id6=&idx=

Edited by FluffSnackwell

The Jets are continuing to sign former Dolphins backups, they've just signed David Fales to a deal. 

And SNY's Ralph Vacchiano is reporting that Eli Manning is unhappy about being benched, but will not waive his No Trade clause. 

On 9/17/2019 at 7:38 AM, RIPPA said:

If Eli never starts another game - he will finish with a career record of 116-116

(QB wins are meaningless but that is still amusing)

Never mind. 

Edited by Tabe

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Josh Rosen has been named the starter for the Dolphins this week.  

And Miami also has claimed Taco Charlton off waivers.  He'll play this week against his former team. 

If you didn't love Minkah, you're gonna LOVE Taco Charlton...assuming he's healthy enough to play and doesn't cause any issues.

With that said, I didn't expect him to fall so out of favor in Dallas that fast even with signing Robert Quinn and the injuries. He didn't play bad as much as he was never going to take Tyrone Crawford's spot let alone D'Law's spot. I think all the trade talk sealed his fate because you can't have a first rounder who has already been on the team two years somehow go backwards on the depth chart. He was gonna be the biggest casualty of the Cowboys defense getting better.

Welp, I tailgated for almost 8 hours today, got rained on 7 times, and watched my team murk those fuckboys from Tennessee on TNF for a second time. Life is... good. 

Also, I'll be paying for this dearly on my way back home. Fucking worth it. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

I am curious if Tom Brady's tweets after last night game will have any impact.  Basically he said that they are too many penalties and it makes the game unwatchable to the point he claims to have turned it off.   Granted we have all said the same thing before but it is Brady.  If he tweeted that there were too many germs in Gillette Stadium they might add a sneeze guard on the field