DVDVR Message Board

Who is more important for pro wrestling history? / Who is a bigger draw?

Who is more important for pro wrestling history? Who is a bigger draw?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who is more important for pro wrestling history?

• Shawn Michaels
    • Goldberg
    • I don't know or it's a draw
  2. 2. Who is a bigger star/draw? Who is more famous in US and worldwide?

• Shawn Michaels
    • Goldberg
  3. 3. Who is more important for pro wrestling history?

• Roman Reigns
    • AJ Styles
  4. 4. Who is a bigger star/draw? Who is more famous in US and worldwide?

• Roman Reigns
    • AJ Styles
  5. 5. Who is more important for pro wrestling history?

• Daniel Bryan
    • Batista
  6. 6. Who is a bigger star/draw? Who is more famous in US and worldwide?

• Daniel Bryan
    • Batista

Good morning.

This poll is about historical importance and about who is a bigger star/draw,  obiouvsly not about who is a better worker.

Furthermore, in the case of  Batista it's better if you consider exclusively his career as wrestler, not his acting career . 

The comparisons are:

1) Goldberg vs Shawn Michaels

2) Roman Reigns vs AJ Styles

3) Daniel Bryan vs Batista

Thank you very much

In all 3 cases, you're basically asking "Does a longer run on top in WWE mean more than anything else?", which is a different issue than the level of importance any individual has to the industry. But, I'm going to go with the "The WWE Brand is the Draw" philosophy and say no house anyone draws on top there counts as a personal achievement. If neither Randy Orton or Triple H had been born, Wrestlemania 25 would still have happened. Therefore neither of them drew it.

I'm aware that technically I just moved the goalposts to a whole different stadium there. Fuck it.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, AxB said:

In all 3 cases, you're basically asking "Does a longer run on top in WWE mean more than anything else?", which is a different issue than the level of importance any individual has to the industry. But, I'm going to go with the "The WWE Brand is the Draw" philosophy and say no house anyone draws on top there counts as a personal achievement. If neither Randy Orton or Triple H had been born, Wrestlemania 25 would still have happened. Therefore neither of them drew it.

I'm aware that technically I just moved the goalposts to a whole different stadium there. Fuck it.

I agree with you about Goldberg vs HBK. Goldberg is clearly the biggest star, while HBK is more important and more influential.

About AJ Styles vs Reigns is really difficult; I think that Styles is more important considering that everywhere he  has been on top everywhere he wrestled; he was the most important wrestler in TNA history, he was from 2014 until 2016 the top gaijin in NJPW and since 2016 until today he is one of the top wrestlers in WWE. 

Anyway Reigns is clearly the biggest star, they are really close in USA, Canada, UK, but in countries like India, Arabia, Pakistan and other Eastern countries Reigns is way way bigger (in those countries he is even bigger than Conor McGregor for example); I think that should be considered if we judge who is the bigger star.

About Batista vs Bryan, DB is clearly more influential and consequently more important. Batista is clearly a bigger draw and star. Worldwide there are for sure more people who know Batista than Bryan, he is a  way bigger star in Mexico, Europe, considering that WWE was way more popular worldwide in 2005-2010 than in 2013-2014, so Batista is the real answer.  Even if you compare PPV buyrates, house show attendance data and merchandise sold, he was also a bigger tv draw, he drew huge ratings when he was on top and that can be confirmed if you analyze ratings. Unfortunately Bryan was never a ppv draw, nor a ratings draw, when he was on top ratings and house show attendance decreased, although he was not only his fault.

• Like 1

For each question: 

Goldberg vs Shawn Michaels:  

Goldberg on both...and secretly, it isn't even close. Shawn was popular in WWE for a long period of time, but Goldberg showed up, was far bigger than Shawn was during that time. Even the other one doesn't help, because Shawn secretly didn't matter all that much in or out of wrestling. 

2) Roman Reigns vs AJ Styles

AJ Styles was more important for wrestling history, but Roman was the bigger draw. AJ's runs in TNA and New Japan are the tiebreaker for that one.

Daniel Bryan's more important, but your own stipulations make the "who's a bigger draw" inherently a flawed question. Batista's acting career HAS to be considered for how big a draw Batista was, just like you can't really fathom The Rock being a big draw without touching on Dwayne Johnson as an actor. Even if Batista is basically part of the MCU ensemble and hasn't proven he, himself, can carry a big movie himself, Batista is the bigger star than Daniel Bryan is. Taking his movie career out of it is such a flaw on the discussion for who the bigger star is that it's tantamount to saying "I really, REALLY want you to pick Daniel Bryan".

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Daniel Bryan's more important, but your own stipulations make the "who's a bigger draw" inherently a flawed question. Batista's acting career HAS to be considered for how big a draw Batista was, just like you can't really fathom The Rock being a big draw without touching on Dwayne Johnson as an actor. Even if Batista is basically part of the MCU ensemble and hasn't proven he, himself, can carry a big movie himself, Batista is the bigger star than Daniel Bryan is. Taking his movie career out of it is such a flaw on the discussion for who the bigger star is that it's tantamount to saying "I really, REALLY want you to pick Daniel Bryan".

But Batista was also a big star as a wrestler, he was way bigger worldwide than Bryan. He drew huge ratings and ppv buyrates, while Bryan was never a big draw.

I think that Batista's wrestling career has been very underrated by many people, in 2005  he was even bigger than Cena.

Edited by francescofuoco1998

Just now, AxB said:

Batista was a draw in WWE, where the brand is the real draw. Danielson headlined everywhere he went.

In reality when Batista was on top ratings, ppv buyrates, house show attendance increased strongly from the year before, so the fact that WWE is the draw is not so much correct.

Bryan in WWE unfortunately was never a draw like Batista, and I'm a huge fan of DB and not a fan of Batista. The fact that Bryan headlilined everywhere he went I don't think that show that Bryan is bigger.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Batista was a draw in WWE, where the brand is the real draw. Danielson headlined everywhere he went.

And honestly, that ties to adding Batista's acting career to the mix.

If you assume the brand is the draw matters more, then the tiebreaker has to be this acting career.

Batista was a draw in WWE, where the brand is the real draw, and ended up in big movie series. Danielson headlined everywhere he went, and all it got him was one Tide commercial, and maybe 'I guess it's cute some sports teams say YES! a lot."

8 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Danielson headlined everywhere he went, and all it got him was one Tide commercial, and maybe 'I guess it's cute some sports teams say YES! a lot."

Don't forget Star of the hit reality TV series, Total Bellas!

• Haha 1