DVDVR Message Board

Asuka's gaming channel, KanaChanTV.

The Natural

On 10/10/2019 at 3:45 PM, J.T. said:

How else are you going to condition the bones in your hands so that you don't break them ever time you throw dozens of punches at a time?

My old sensei had a 2x4 wrapped in rope and stuck in the ground that he would punch repeatedly to toughen up his knuckles.   I was never that hardcore.  I always did my strike drills wearing C-Cup gloves.

When I was in Primary School (so age 7 I think) I had a friend who was an obsessive Karate guy. He dug holes in his back garden and filled them with gravel so he could practice punching into them, and do fist pushups on them.

I have no way of knowing, but think he might have arthritis now. Just a suspicion.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 7:15 AM, AxB said:

When I was in Primary School (so age 7 I think) I had a friend who was an obsessive Karate guy. He dug holes in his back garden and filled them with gravel so he could practice punching into them, and do fist pushups on them.

I have no way of knowing, but think he might have arthritis now. Just a suspicion.

I think your friend watched Enter The Dragon one too many times.

The whole point of wrapping the board with rope is to give it enough padding so that you can condition your hands without breaking any bones. It's not to destroy the joints so that you become prematurely arthritic.

Seven year olds making dumb decisions is pretty normal, though. I don't know if he watched Enter the Dragon too frequently though, it would be like 1981 or 2 and nobody in England really owned a VCR yet.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Seven year olds making dumb decisions is pretty normal, though. I don't know if he watched Enter the Dragon too frequently though, it would be like 1981 or 2 and nobody in England really owned a VCR yet.

I just remember Enter The Dragon being one of those movies that had one of those scenes where you saw fighters conditioning their hands by repeatedly shoving them in and out of pans of heated pitch and gravel.

Most likely, he either got it from a magazine article, or he had a sensei who was full of bullshit. Let's face it, for many decades people would devote huge amounts of time and energy to developing Martial Arts skills that were no use at all in a real fight. Lots of trainers who were intentional conmen, and plenty more of the unintentional variety. Royce Gracie is their Antichrist.

Eh.  Royce Gracie trained folks really well on how to tie one single asshole opponent who started shit into pretzel knots.

He did not really count on the victim of said twisting having asshole buddies who would grab bear mugs and pool cues and beat the living shit out of the BJJ guy who was dumb enough to get on the ground with that asshole.

Best defense against the punch is not to be out of the path of the punch.  Best defense against the punch is not to be in places where there is a good chance of shit getting started. 

The most dangerous guy in a fight is not the martial artist.  It's the one guy that doesn't know anything because he still has the purity of ignorance.  When the shit goes down, he doesn't know that arming himself or massing his friends against a single opponent is "against the rules" because he realizes that real life has no rules.  His body and mind already know what they have to do to preserve the whole.  Survival instinct.

It is strange how martial artist become bound to form and aren't really true practicioners until they have trained for so long that their specialized skills become reflex and muscle memory and they can once again react or attack instintively instead of thinking about what they intend to do.  Then they recover the power of the fighter who has purity of ignorance.

That sounded a bit too zen, but I think you get my meaning.

Anway, back on topic.  I need one of those cabbage slicing machines.   Cabbage Soup is one of my Winter stable meals.  

I just hate washing Cabbage, though.  It takes forever to get it clean enough to cook.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of cabbage, a bunch of the guys at work who had been in Korea were having a long discussion about Kim Chee. 

my response: “all I know about kim chee I learned from MASH.” 

(I chose not to bring up Steve Lombardi.)

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

Speaking of cabbage, a bunch of the guys at work who had been in Korea were having a long discussion about Kim Chee. 

my response: “all I know about kim chee I learned from MASH.” 

(I chose not to bring up Steve Lombardi.)

I would probably poison my entire family if I tried to make Kim Chee.

I will stick to Cabbage Soup.

On 10/26/2019 at 2:39 PM, kenyabaxterZXW said:

Like any decent cook, Asuka is like fuck a measuring cup.

I would have to take it a bit easier on the Soy Sauce and salt.  I'd probably go into immediate cardiac arrest if my broth had the potential sodium count of hers.

I'll bet it's yummy, though.  A good broth is KEY~!

Edited by J.T.

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

I'm pretty hardcore, but I'm not THAT hardcore.

I dunno, if I was with Asuka eating them I'd be willing to give it a try.  I would like to think eating it with rice or something would help take out the gross factor.

But I love the comments in every episode as they're lamenting over her being locked out of her house again.  And the rare time she's inside they rejoice over her finding her keys.  It's become a running gag that I find amusing.  Oh, and she's so absolutely adorable even when eating grasshoppers that it's easily become one of our favorite channels.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've had them before.  They actually taste kind of fishy like a sardine.  It wasn't bad with a little hot sauce on them.  They were fried pretty well so there wasn't the gooey texture you would expect from eating a bug.

About the only food I've said a hard no to is balut, which my Filipino in laws tried to get me to eat.  Chicken feet are also pretty nasty.  Trying those once at dim sum was more than enough for me.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Grasshopper eating. 

Yeah, I'm going to say this is Konami's fault. She is Asuka's former student and a current Stardom wrestler. She actually does eat weird shit like bugs occasionally. Even took their ring announcer who is a voice actress out to eat with her once.

On 11/13/2019 at 9:56 AM, Neil Koch said:

I've had them before.  They actually taste kind of fishy like a sardine.  It wasn't bad with a little hot sauce on them.  They were fried pretty well so there wasn't the gooey texture you would expect from eating a bug.

I wouldn't know what to expect since I've never eaten a bug on purpose.   The trauma of an 8 year old me accidentally swallowing a housefly is still fresh in my mind.