DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 16: Cerrone vs. Gaethje (9/14/2019) - Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada (Rogers Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

EBkMawGXoAE2Fzk.jpg?1565451674

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 16: Cerrone vs. Gaethje 
September 14, 2019
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada (Rogers Arena)

Donald Cerrone (155.5) vs. Justin Gaethje (155.5) - Gaethje, TKO (punches), R1 (4:18)
Glover Teixeira (204.5) vs. Nikita Krylov (205.5) - Teixeira, DEC (split)
Todd Duffee (244.5) vs. Jeff Hughes (251) - No Contest (Duffee Unable to Continue Due to Accidental Eyepoke), R1 (4:03)
Michel Pereira (172)* vs. Tristan Connelly (169.5) - Connelly, DEC (unanimous)
Uriah Hall (184) vs. Antônio Carlos Júnior (185.5) - Hall, DEC (split)
Misha Cirkunov (205.5) vs. Jimmy Crute (205) - Cirkunov, SUB (peruvian necktie), R1 (3:38)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Marcin Tybura (257.5) vs. Augusto Sakai (258) - Sakai, KO (punches), R1 (0:59)
Cole Smith (135) vs. Miles Johns (135.5) - Johns, DEC (unanimous)
Brad Katona (135) vs. Hunter Azure (135.5) - Azure, DEC (unanimous)
Chas Skelly (146) vs. Jordan Griffin (145) - Skelly, DEC (unanimous)
Louis Smolka (135.5) vs. Ryan MacDonald (135.5) - Smolka, TKO (strikes), R1 (4:43)
Kyle Prepolec (155) vs. Austin Hubbard (156) - Hubbard, DEC (unanimous)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Misha Cirkunov
Performance of the Night: Justin Gaethje
Fight of the Night: Michel Pereira vs. Tristan Connelly (Connelly receives the other bonus portion due to Pereira missing weight)

Attendance: 15,114
Gate: $1.334 million

Cancelled Fights:
David Branch vs. Andrew Sanchez - Injury to Branch
Michel Pereira vs. Sergey Khandozhko - Khandozhko Visa Issues
Andrew Sanchez vs. Marvin Vettori - Sanchez Removed Due to Health Issues

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

6 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i would've sworn this main event happened like 2-3 months ago.  i am so out of the UFC loop it's ridiculous.  Gaethje won by TKO in rd3, for those curious.

I think you're confusing the discussion of the fight with an actual fight. Right after Cerrone lost to Ferguson in June, Gaethje broached the idea of fighting Cerrone once he healed from his eye injury and then the fight eventually was made.

54 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think you're confusing the discussion of the fight with an actual fight. Right after Cerrone lost to Ferguson in June, Gaethje broached the idea of fighting Cerrone once he healed from his eye injury and then the fight eventually was made.

yeah, very possible. like i said, i'm out of the ufc loop. this looks like a pretty good card for espn+, will have to make it a point to catch this one

• Like 1

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

yeah, very possible. like i said, i'm out of the ufc loop. this looks like a pretty good card for espn+, will have to make it a point to catch this one

How can anyone not love getting a reminder that Todd Duffee is somehow still on the roster? He is what Van Hammer was to WCW.

Todd Duffee has been away from MMA for since July 2015 but somehow still leaps facefirst into punches. He's lucky he was facing Jeff Hughes instead of a top tier heavyweight. I don't know if Duffee can be as good as people thought he could be originally. Even at heavyweight, that aggressive kill or be killed style doesn't work especially if you always have defensive lapses.

Man, this is perhaps the best I've ever seen Gaethje. Really smart footwork (worlds better than his WSOF days), feints (beautiful feint leg kick followed by the leg kick after the check comes back down), and that left hook was landing all round.

Some inexcusable tentativeness from Valel. Call it or don't.

Edited by Oyaji

3 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Man, this is perhaps the best I've ever seen Gaethje. Really smart footwork (worlds better than his WSOF days), feints (beautiful feint leg kick followed by the leg kick after the check comes back down), and that left hook was landing all round.

Some inexcusable tentativeness from Valel. Call it or don't.

I felt that was on both Gaethje and Jerin Valel. I understand the dude is your friend, but you keep to keep going until the ref breaks it up. That's how it usually works. I think Valel was caught off guard by Gaethje not really going after him. If this was a Herb Dean, he would have told Justin (likely to his dismay) that the fighter can't stop the fight and keep punching.

Felt like Cerrone was pacing himself for five rounds, whilst Gaethje fought like it was the first round of three. Then found an opening and it became a moot point.